mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Just replaced a few broken/sticky keys. Now there is no sound coming from them"

Posted on: April 26, 2015 @ 04:24 PM
Carpets3000
Total Posts:  5
Joined  04-26-2015

Just replaced a few broken/sticky keys. Now there is no sound coming from them after I have put the keyboard back together. What happened?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 26, 2015 @ 05:08 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Carpets3000 - 26 April 2015 04:24 PM

Just replaced a few broken/sticky keys. Now there is no sound coming from them after I have put the keyboard back together. What happened?

Welcome to the forum.

It’s hard to say exactly what happened, especially with the limited information you’ve provided so far.

Some questions…
1) Did the broken keys play before your work?
2) Which model did you work on? Your member profile indicates you have a Motif ES, but you’ve posted in the XF forum.
3) Did you work with a Service Manual?
4) How many keys? The 88-key keyboards are quite different than the 61- or 76-key ones.
5) Exactly which keys are not functioning? Is it just the ones you worked on, or others to either side, etc?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 26, 2015 @ 10:11 PM
Carpets3000
Joined  04-26-2015

Yes they all worked before I fixed them, I am working on an es7 (I figured they have a similar setup to an fx7 or 6 that’s why I posted here.
I worked with a service manual. its the last D, D#, and E

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 26, 2015 @ 11:08 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Carpets3000 - 26 April 2015 10:11 PM

Yes they all worked before I fixed them, I am working on an es7 (I figured they have a similar setup to an fx7 or 6 that’s why I posted here.
I worked with a service manual. its the last D, D#, and E

The ES6/7 has the FS keybed. The XF6/7 has the FSX keybed. They’re not very similar.

It’s possible that you either bent or mispositioned (or both) the key contacts/switches for the keys you replaced. Anything other than that would typically cause problems with additional keys.

I don’t believe the ES Service Manual covers FS keybed servicing, beyond removal procedure. See http://www.bustedgear.com/repair_Yamaha_Korg_keyboard.html
It should help with key replacement and contact problems on an FS keybed.

By the way, it’s often worth the time to remove the contact assembly from the FS keybed before replacing keys, and then remounting it afterward. That can minimize possible damage to any contacts.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 27, 2015 @ 12:04 AM
Carpets3000
Joined  04-26-2015

You are completely right !  I had to bend those suckers back in place. The contacts somehow got totally disfigured. Works perfectly now. Thanks buddy.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 27, 2015 @ 07:59 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Carpets3000 - 27 April 2015 12:04 AM

You are completely right !  I had to bend those suckers back in place. The contacts somehow got totally disfigured. Works perfectly now. Thanks buddy.

You’re welcome - Glad you got it working properly.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 30, 2015 @ 12:48 PM
Carpets3000
Joined  04-26-2015

I have one more issue. So I got everything working perfectly and I was playing the keyboard for a few days now. Yesterday I decided to screw in the remaining 20-30 screws to the entire back panel declaring my project a success. When I powered my keyboard on this morning nothing was functioning except for the screen itself. It powers on as usual going to MasterMode to the usual performance. But everything else is disabled. Keys do not sound, buttons have no response. Buttons have no lights at all. The only thing that functions is the screen and power button. Any ideas?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 30, 2015 @ 02:00 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Carpets3000 - 30 April 2015 12:48 PM

I have one more issue. So I got everything working perfectly and I was playing the keyboard for a few days now. Yesterday I decided to screw in the remaining 20-30 screws to the entire back panel declaring my project a success. When I powered my keyboard on this morning nothing was functioning except for the screen itself. It powers on as usual going to MasterMode to the usual performance. But everything else is disabled. Keys do not sound, buttons have no response. Buttons have no lights at all. The only thing that functions is the screen and power button. Any ideas?

Remove the bottom panel, and check for pinched wiring and dislodged connectors wherever you removed or disconnected anything. If you find damaged wiring, make a note of where it is, because related circuit damage might have occurred.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 01, 2015 @ 10:35 AM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002

You know, I think you really should take your ES to an authorized Yamaha service center.

None of us here are Yamaha synth repairmen.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 01, 2015 @ 11:26 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
DavePolich - 01 May 2015 10:35 AM

You know, I think you really should take your ES to an authorized Yamaha service center.

None of us here are Yamaha synth repairmen.

Those funny symbols on a schematic mean more to some of us here than to others, and some of us have repaired more electronic gear, including Yamaha synths, than you might imagine.

Nevertheless (without pointing any fingers), when a person gets in over their head, it’s good to know when to seek professional help. Not that I’m a big fan of Clint Eastwood, but “A man’s got to know his limitations.”

There are certainly service personnel who are competent but aren’t “authorized” by Yamaha. The trick is to find them.

By the way, all advice found on the Internet should be considered questionable until proven otherwise, including any I give. I’d never intentionally mislead, and I try to post only about things that I’m relatively certain about. However, replies can only be based on information the OP provides, and sometimes that is insufficient or just plain wrong.

I don’t see “YMMV” used much lately, but it still applies.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Copy Event Issue in Sequencer Job
Next Topic:

New Yamaha Synthesiser Anytime Soon? ››