mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Creating some split points and saving…….head is melted!!"

Posted on: April 24, 2015 @ 06:40 PM
Halion76
Total Posts:  63
Joined  03-13-2015

Hi, I’m hoping someone can give me some assistance as soon as possible!!

I have left it to the last minute to create some split points on the mox as I have a band rehearsal tomorrow.

Basically, this is the first time I have tried to edit anything on the keyboard and this is how it has panned out so far.........

I have standard sounds saved in voices to favourites - piano, organ etc.,

I then went in to a brass sound I saved - hit split and I am in a “new performance”.  I have been able to save these to the performance user banks, assign a new name and split point etc., so that’s all good.  I then save these to “favourites” under performances.

However, I have two issues -

1) Can I change the octave of a sound in a split point?  For example, I have a piano taking up to C4 and the brass at the top.  However, I want to bring the brass down an octave.  Please tell me this is possible but I can’t seem to sort it myself!!

2) When I transpose the split point also changes.  Is there any way to keep the split while transposing?  We’ll be changing keys quite a bit tomorrow to see what suits so this issue is gonna be a pain.  Obviously I could work around it when the sets keys are confirmed but it would be great if I could keep my split points and freely transpose.

Thanks so much for any help, it is really, really appreciated!!

(EDIT) Just thought of a workaround to sort problem (1) - I went in and edited the original voice down an octave.  Saved that as a user voice and then used that in the split rather than the original sound as such.

Now....if only there was a way to sort problem (2) - I doubt it though, I think transpose will always affect my split points.  If there is a way to stop it and you tell me......I’ll be a happy man lol!!

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 24, 2015 @ 07:22 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
stein67 - 24 April 2015 06:40 PM

[...]1) Can I change the octave of a sound in a split point?  For example, I have a piano taking up to C4 and the brass at the top.  However, I want to bring the brass down an octave.  Please tell me this is possible but I can’t seem to sort it myself!!

See Note Shift on page 68 of the MOXF Reference Manual.

stein67 -

2) When I transpose the split point also changes.  Is there any way to keep the split while transposing?  We’ll be changing keys quite a bit tomorrow to see what suits so this issue is gonna be a pain.  Obviously I could work around it when the sets keys are confirmed but it would be great if I could keep my split points and freely transpose.[...]

You’re apparently transposing the keyboard. If rather than that you Note Shift the Tone Generator, the split point will remain in place. See page 140 of the Reference Manual.

I hope you’re happy now.  :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 24, 2015 @ 10:14 PM
Halion76
Joined  03-13-2015

You are quite simply a legend!!  Thanks so much.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 25, 2015 @ 04:40 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
stein67 - 24 April 2015 10:14 PM

You are quite simply a legend!!

Hmmm, “legend” - I’m not sure I deserve that, but thanks.

stein67 -

Thanks so much.

You’re quite welcome.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 25, 2015 @ 03:18 PM
Halion76
Joined  03-13-2015

I certainly appreciated your help.

One other thing - is it possible to have more than one split?  I know we can have 4 instruments per performance but can I have 4 splits?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 25, 2015 @ 04:51 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Performances can, of course, have up to four Parts/Voices. They can be layered or split, depending on the Note Limit setting for each Part. See pages 56 and 65 of the Reference Manual.

Here’s a question for all Motifator members…
If you saw a piece of wood into four pieces, it requires three cuts. If having two Parts cover separate note ranges is one split, is doing that with four Parts four or three splits?  :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 25, 2015 @ 05:55 PM
stoneb3
Total Posts:  851
Joined  06-05-2011
5pinDIN - 25 April 2015 04:51 PM

If you saw a piece of wood into four pieces, it requires three cuts. If having two Parts cover separate note ranges is one split, is doing that with four Parts four or three splits?  :-)

Is this in the woods when no one is around?
The answer of course is three.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 26, 2015 @ 10:37 PM
chasmanian
Total Posts:  319
Joined  01-27-2014
stoneb3 - 25 April 2015 05:55 PM
5pinDIN - 25 April 2015 04:51 PM

Is this in the woods when no one is around?
The answer of course is three.

I agree, 3.
and as for your question about the woods, it brings back fond memories of my dear old Dad, getting a kick out of kidding my Mom, asking a philosophical rhetorical question: “if a man speaks in the forest, and there is no woman around, is he still wrong?”.
oh Dad, was a corker. great husband and father of many guys and dolls.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 29, 2015 @ 08:47 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

I didn’t pose the question as a philosophical/rhetorical one, although I understand how it might be considered that way. I’ve seen/heard the term “split” used to mean “split point”, in which case “3” would appear to be the answer to my question. However, I’ve also had people use “split” when referring to one of the Parts which has been assigned a particular note range, and in that case “4” would seem to be appropriate.

I was curious as to which usage was more popular.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 29, 2015 @ 11:27 AM
chasmanian
Joined  01-27-2014

ah, gotcha.
never thought of the “4” split way of terming it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 29, 2015 @ 07:01 PM
stoneb3
Total Posts:  851
Joined  06-05-2011
5pinDIN - 29 April 2015 08:47 AM

I didn’t pose the question as a philosophical/rhetorical one, although I understand how it might be considered that way. I’ve seen/heard the term “split” used to mean “split point”, in which case “3” would appear to be the answer to my question. However, I’ve also had people use “split” when referring to one of the Parts which has been assigned a particular note range, and in that case “4” would seem to be appropriate.

I was curious as to which usage was more popular.

I had thought something may had been afoot when the question was posed, but was unsure of what direction we were headed. This clears it up, and alas, chas and I have not won a prize.

Good question.
Usually when speaking with others on the matter I refer to a “split” with a numerical part reference, hence a “3 part split” etc. This helps cut down on the chatter and should negate the crux of your second point, if I’ve understood it correctly and of that I’m not sure. Would this be to say that if you had 3 parts in a split with two dead zones (note limit range) separating each of them you would now have 4 split points and 5 parts counting the dead zones, or 4 split points and 3 parts thus ignoring them? (The dead zones)
This may be why I’m not permitted to cut cake.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 29, 2015 @ 07:35 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

I really didn’t intend what I asked to be a “gotcha/trick” question. 

stoneb3 - 29 April 2015 07:01 PM

[...]Usually when speaking with others on the matter I refer to a “split” with a numerical part reference, hence a “3 part split” etc.[...]

I like that approach, it eliminates the ambiguity…

stoneb3 -

Would this be to say that if you had 3 parts in a split with two dead zones (note limit range) separating each of them you would now have 4 split points and 5 parts counting the dead zones, or 4 split points and 3 parts thus ignoring them? (The dead zones)

...but I’m not touching that.

stoneb3 -

This may be why I’m not permitted to cut cake.

LOL.  :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 29, 2015 @ 08:56 PM
chasmanian
Joined  01-27-2014

“This may be why I’m not permitted to cut cake.”

very much appreciate your sense of humor. :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 03, 2015 @ 09:32 AM
Halion76
Joined  03-13-2015

Haha I like that a cake has been brought in to the equation lol!!

When I talk about splits I’m actually referring to the note range rather than the split point.  So if I have a straight forward split of say strings and piano I would say “2 splits” but obviously get the point that it is only 1 split point.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ MIDI Data Missing
Next Topic:

Need Help...I’m doing something wrong! ››