mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Dyno Straight voice"

Posted on: April 25, 2015 @ 12:55 PM
sagetunes
Total Posts:  2
Joined  04-24-2015

A good friend of mine at work lent me his Motif XS7.  I found a voice that I fell in love with---Dyno Straight, #37. It reminds me very much of a tone that Brent Mydland of the Grateful Dead got out of his dyno’d Rhodes circa 1980. I’m a big fan, and that tone inspired me to play music in a band, which I’ve done ever since.
Here’s my question--Is this specific XS tone the exact same as the tone in the classic? As far as effects, I don’t care at all because I will strip the effects if/when I use it.  I prefer it very close to bone dry when playing live. I’ll be using it in my live rig, and with what I have it makes no sense to drag out another keyboard.
Thanks in advance for any input.  This is my first post so forgive me if I sound entirely foolish---but I’ve been after this tone for 25 years.  I’ve got a Mark V at home---it’s awesome, but it’s not quite this.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 26, 2015 @ 04:45 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Welcome to the forum.

The Voice in the XS is PRE 1:037(C05) Dyno Straight MW+AS2.
I don’t have a Classic Motif, but from looking at the Data List, the closest in the Classic seems to be Preset1:016 DynoStraight.

Differences and similarities I can identify:
The XS has a Voice structure of up to eight Elements, while the Classic maximum is four Elements. Elements 5 and 6 in this XS Voice are used for Key Off sounds. Obviously, the Classic won’t have those. Otherwise, the first four Elements might be the same. In the XS Voice, they use Waveforms EP2 Soft1, EP2 Soft2, EP2 Hard1, and EP2 Hard2. The Data List indicates same-named Waveforms are available in the Classic, but I don’t know whether the samples are identical.

Another consideration is whether the LFO panning depth and speed control accessible via MW and AS2 are important to you - although they aren’t strictly “effects”, you might be referring to them as such.

It seems that it might be necessary for you to actually hear what the Classic DynoStraight Voice sounds like in order to make a decision. Since that Voice should be the same in the Motif Classic as the Motif Rack Classic, if you find a keyboard model that should help with the determination.

Hopefully someone having experience with both the Classic and XS will post.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 28, 2015 @ 12:36 PM
sagetunes
Total Posts:  2
Joined  04-24-2015

Thanks 5pin, Good information.

[ Ignore ]