mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "S70xs Momentary Arp Switch (or ARP as control set destination)?"

Posted on: April 10, 2015 @ 05:00 PM
MrWhiteKeys
Total Posts:  39
Joined  09-23-2011

I’m setting up a steel drum voice and am using the SteelDrum1 arp to simulate a mallet roll.

I can use the arp switch on the keyboard to on/off the arp whenever I want to roll the mallets, but having to mash a button twice to on/off the roll is a bit cumbersome and I’d like to be able to introduce the arp more as a performance control via a momentary AF switch or mod wheel.

Can this be done, or is there a better approach to simulate a roll as a performance control?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 10, 2015 @ 06:28 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Two questions…

Are you basing your Voice on GM:115(H08)?

Would it be practical for you to play a different group of keys when you wanted the Arp?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 10, 2015 @ 08:33 PM
MrWhiteKeys
Joined  09-23-2011

Thanks for the responce, 5-pin. Yes, I’m using the GM voice, don’t know the number offhand. The synth’s in the car but it’s the only steel drum on the unit.

Not really practical to use a differnt group of keys, no. It’d be easier to just click the arp button on and off when I want the roll, but was hoping for a more intuitive trigger.

It’s second nature to roll up the mod wheel when I want a voice to warble and I’d love to be able to introduce the mallet roll arp like that too, but I imagine I’ll wind up just leaving the arp on full time when playing the voice or even [gasp] playing the trills manually like a real keyboard player.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 10, 2015 @ 09:14 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Rather than a Voice, can it be a Performance?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 12, 2015 @ 09:36 AM
MrWhiteKeys
Joined  09-23-2011

Well, I’d actually be using the voice as a part in a performance. Hmm… I don’t have the keyboard at home to experiment with, but maybe I could use two copies of the voice, one with the arp on and one with it off, and use the mod wheel to mix from one to the other. I’d have to tweak the voices’ control sets for the mod wheel action but I guess it could work. Is that what you were thinking?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 12, 2015 @ 11:14 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
MrWhiteKeys - 12 April 2015 09:36 AM

Well, I’d actually be using the voice as a part in a performance. Hmm… I don’t have the keyboard at home to experiment with, but maybe I could use two copies of the voice, one with the arp on and one with it off, and use the mod wheel to mix from one to the other. I’d have to tweak the voices’ control sets for the mod wheel action but I guess it could work. Is that what you were thinking?

Yes. A cross-fade between two Parts should do the trick.

This thread concerns a MOX, so the button presses might not be correct, but the concept is covered:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/455497/

Will the remaining two Parts in the Performance be sufficient for your needs?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2015 @ 08:57 AM
MrWhiteKeys
Joined  09-23-2011

That’s a great idea and I’m sure it’ll work. I’ll set up the performance when I get my synth back home in a few days. Thanks very much!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2015 @ 09:24 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
MrWhiteKeys - 13 April 2015 08:57 AM

That’s a great idea and I’m sure it’ll work. I’ll set up the performance when I get my synth back home in a few days. Thanks very much!

You’re very welcome!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ S90 Card Reader
Next Topic:

playing back midi file on thumb drive ››