mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Correct Order of turning on Devices when Recording with MOXF"

Posted on: April 09, 2015 @ 11:58 PM
jerrydpi
Total Posts:  973
Joined  11-03-2012

Hi guys :)

My rig is MOXF8, a Universal Audio Apollo Duo Twin, a 13” MacBook Pro i7, LPX, Addictive Drums and Trilian Bass.

Check List:

1) The MOXF is connected by a usb cable to the MacBook Pro.
2) The Audio and MIDI Preferences are set correctly on LPX.

I set the Audio Preferences to use the the Apollo when I want to Record Vocals and change them to the MOXF when I want to Record Audio from the MOXF.

3) The MOXF Utility Settings are set to allow the MOXF Sequencer and LPX to be synced together.

Sometimes I turn on the Apollo first, sometimes LPX first and sometimes the MOXF first.

When I have chosen and armed an Audio Track on LPX, set it to receive on Inputs 3 and 4, sometimes I get no signal on that Track at all. To double check, I also change the Input to 1 and 2, but get the same result (no signal).

If I turn the MOXF off and back on, or if I close LPX and relaunch the Project, I will eventually get a good signal on the Audio Track, but I have no idea why :)

Same problem when I try to use a Software Track and trigger/play Trilian Bass on the Track by using the MOXF as a trigger.

Sometimes I get a signal, sometimes I don’t.

So my question is, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Jerry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 10, 2015 @ 06:16 AM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

It sounds a little like your gear needs a moment to behave in the way you want it to, presumably because of being continually swapped out.

You might want to practice turning the interfaces on after the computer is finished booting up, but BEFORE opening Logic.

You might also want to see what’s going on in the Audio MIDI Set Up utility just to make sure the only things set up in it are the things you actually need (your MOXF and Apollo)

Logic will usually bleat if the audio device has changed since you last used it, which makes me a little suspicious of what’s set up in your Audio MIDI Set up.

Remove anything unnecessary.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 10, 2015 @ 12:22 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

Hi Phil :)

I’m at work now, but to the best of my recollection, I can choose between the Apollo, the MOXF, ApolloMOXF, and the internal speakers of the MBP.

Thanks,

Jerry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 10, 2015 @ 12:41 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

I’m not sure I understand that in relation to your original question.

Yes, you can choose those options, but you were asking about an order in which to do things ...and the problem you were getting is very likely to do with the fact that you often powered your various interface options on after you’d loaded Logic.

So no matter what you decide to use, perhaps consider loading up Logic as the last step.

Computer on > interface on > Logic on.

Once you are running Logic you can swap interfaces on the fly without quitting anyway.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 10, 2015 @ 02:45 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012
philwoodmusic - 10 April 2015 06:16 AM

....which makes me a little suspicious of what’s set up in your Audio MIDI Set up.

Remove anything unnecessary.

I thought you wanted to know what was in my Audio Set Up :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 10, 2015 @ 11:43 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

Oh I see, sorry.  I’m with you now. 

Well that’s all good then.

[ Ignore ]