mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Problem controlling my XS7 with my MX61"

Posted on: March 31, 2015 @ 11:36 PM
imaband
Total Posts:  73
Joined  07-22-2003

Hi,

My XS7 pitch wheel assembly is being repaired so I need to use my MX61 as a controller (since it has a working pitch wheel) *WHILE* my XS7 is playing MIDI sequences. But I can control the XS7 with the MX61 ONLY if I use MIDI cables as opposed to the USB interface. But my DAW is set up to use USB and you can use only one type of MIDI interface at a time. I was hoping I’d stumble on it by now but no luck.

Any help is appreciated.

Jeff

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 01, 2015 @ 08:28 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Proper routing of MIDI data should resolve this.

See MIDI channels and MIDI ports on pages 43-44 of the XS Owner’s Manual. Specifically read the Port 3 section.

If you select USB MIDI, whatever is connected to the Motif’s 5-pin MIDI-In and MIDI-Out jacks gets interfaced to the computer via Port 3. How you route Port 3 in your DAW determines what can be done with the MIDI data from/to the DIN connectors.

Connect the MX61’s 5-pin MIDI-Out to the XS7’s MIDI-In. If you can configure the DAW to use the XS7’s Port 3 for MIDI input, that should accomplish what you’re asking about. The DAW’s MIDI-In might show something like “Yamaha MOTIF XS7-3” as one of the choices.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 01, 2015 @ 09:28 PM
imaband
Joined  07-22-2003

Thank You!! If that is documented I would have been hard pressed to find it by Saturday.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 02, 2015 @ 10:58 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
imaband - 01 April 2015 09:28 PM

Thank You!! If that is documented I would have been hard pressed to find it by Saturday.

You’re welcome!

Can I presume that you’ve verified doing this with your DAW, and that you’re not waiting until Saturday to try it?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 04, 2015 @ 02:10 PM
imaband
Joined  07-22-2003

Yeah I tried it. It works great. Thanks again.

It might be useful to note that Input Echo needs to be on for the channel receiving the midi from the controller keyboard and that you only need the 5pin DIN connector from the controller keyboard - not the USB. I imagine I could probably use USB from the MX if I changed MIDI IN/OUT to USB but I haven’t verified that.

[ Ignore ]