mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Erasing a mixing voice"

Posted on: May 31, 2014 @ 05:22 PM
papaphoenix
Total Posts:  1614
Joined  03-09-2004

Hi
A strange thing append to me when i trying to erase a mixing voice (like the limitation is 256, need some places).
So to “erase” a mixing voice, generally, i change the mixing voice by a preset or a user voice, store, enter, yes to save the mixing, store, enter, yes to save the song.

If i check the mixing voice list with the XF editor or the total lib & mixing editor, the mixing voice don’t appear in the dedicated list of mixing voices. So it’s erasing.

But if i check on the Motif XF, from going in the mixing, on the part, select from the preset or user bank to the “mw” bank, the name of the mixing voice is always here, the others 15 mixing voices are named “initialized voice” but the previous name of the mixing voice is always here.

I have tried also after storing the change to preset or user voice by moving from one song to another, changing mode, used the mixing job initializing the part, copy part2 to part1 and even rebooting the XF.
The name of the previous mixing voice is always here in the list of the 16 mixing voices on the XF and do not appear on the editor’s.

Like the editor’s don’t show it, i think the mixing voice place is free but only the name is staying in memory.
Any other idea of what append?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 31, 2014 @ 06:01 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

My first reaction is: You cannot erase a Voice.

That is not possible. There are 512 Normal USER Voice locations, 32 USER Drum Voice locations, there are 256 Mixing Voice locations total (16 per Mix). These are always there and they always contain a Voice. “Erase” you cannot do.

Even if all locations contain an Initialize Voice this counts the same as a Voice. Same number of parameters (even if not all active).

When you are editing a MIXING VOICE and you COPY it to a USER VOICE location - you have made a duplicate COPY of that VOICE and stored it in a different “Folder” in the XF’s architecture.

If i check the mixing voice list with the XF editor or the total lib & mixing editor, the mixing voice don’t appear in the dedicated list of mixing voices. So it’s erasing.

We do not find this to be true for the Yamaha Motif XF Editor. (I have not checked the Total Librarian or the Mixing Editor). But if you copy the MIXING Voice to a USER location - the Motif XF Editor VST shows you that the original MIXING Voice is still in its position. COPYING does not “erase” or remove it.

Same as with any VOICE - COPYING it (storing it in a new location does not mean the original location is ‘erased’ - that simply does not happen.

Simply overwrite the data in that location - if the name bothers you (by the way, the data is still there) simply copy an INITIALIZED VOICE over it.

Are you using Cubase?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 31, 2014 @ 07:04 PM
papaphoenix
Total Posts:  1614
Joined  03-09-2004

Hi Bad_mister, thank you for your quick answer, i have received this question on our french forum, tried and check for answer.

I agree with you, erase is not the good naming, if i understanding fine, the 256 mixing voices limit is “count” when mixing voice are “used” in the mixing (with the limit of 16 per mixing too of course).
So if i have 256 mixing voices used, i need to have a new one, i just change one mixing voice by a preset or a user voice in the mixing, store the mixing and the song, and the count will be 255 mixing voices used.
I will have one mixing voice “free place” to use.

When you are editing a MIXING VOICE and you COPY it to a USER VOICE location - you have made a duplicate COPY of that VOICE and stored it in a different “Folder” in the XF’s architecture.

I totally agree, but i never write i “copy” a mixing voice to user voice place.

We do not find this to be true for the Yamaha Motif XF Editor. (I have not checked the Total Librarian or the Mixing Editor). But if you copy the MIXING Voice to a USER location - the Motif XF Editor VST shows you that the original MIXING Voice is still in its position. COPYING does not “erase” or remove it.

Same as with any VOICE - COPYING it (storing it in a new location does not mean the original location is ‘erased’ - that simply does not happen.

I agree too, but it’s not what i done, i do not copy a mixing voice to user voice location, i replace the mixing voice in the mixing view by a preset voice or a user voice, store the mixing and the song, and for the 16 mixing voice available, the name of the mixing voice is always here in the Motif Xf when it will not appear in the XF Editor and the John Melas Editors. That’s that point who surprise me.

Simply overwrite the data in that location

Ok that’s the way to done and that’s what i explain on our french forum, but we have been surprised to always see the name. and now I understand all the data.

if the name bothers you (by the way, the data is still there) simply copy an INITIALIZED VOICE over it.

ok now i’m sure to understanding, the data are still there but the count of the mixing voices are count from mixing voice in use on the mixing and not on data.
Using the mixing job to initialize the part or copy another part to the previous part do not change the mixing voice data for the previous part, it’s just initializing or copying the part data in use. (I hope it’s enough clear).

Thank you, i can explain now clearly why the name and all the data are always here.

Yes i’m using cubase 7.5.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 31, 2015 @ 05:00 PM
Apex
Total Posts:  683
Joined  10-21-2005

if this is indeed the case and you can’t delete a mixing voice then how do you explain the face that I just accidentally saved one and now my INFO screen reads mixing voices used (1 of 16) and also beneath that it now says 1 of 256.  I want to delete it so NONE of the spaces are used.  I want it to read 0 of 256. 

Is this not possible

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 31, 2015 @ 05:30 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

Apex, you don’t need to erase them. Just overwrite them whenever you need to.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Motif and External Software Libraries
Next Topic:

Firewire Expansion with Three sources ››