mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "heyoo MX vs MO"

Posted on: March 03, 2015 @ 09:34 PM
J_D_S_Y
Total Posts:  115
Joined  11-01-2011

Hi,

Anyone out there who could help with this question...?

How does the sound quality of the MX compare to the MO? I guess what I mean is voices, the manner in which the ROM is used. The MO has 175mb, and I believe the MX has a little more storage, but it employs much more voices, over a thousand, when compared to a MO. The MO soundset is basically like a beefed up QY100 with under 600 (to my knowledge)

I’m trying to decide if I want to get an MX because it is newer, and drive sequences with my QY700, or go the route of teh MO6 because it’s all in one.

Thanks,

JD

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 07, 2015 @ 10:38 AM
kevinb
Total Posts:  340
Joined  05-07-2003

In my opinion (and it’s only that, opinion) the MX sounds better than the MO (but the MX is a much newer keyboard with newer electronics and samples). On a few gigs people have come up and commented on how great the MX sounds and I once brought the MO to rehearsal and was told by the other musicians to bring the MX next time because they thought it sounded better. The MX has 128 note polyphony while the MO only has 62, a huge difference if you’re layering lots of voices.

The MX is a whole lot lighter than the MO, but the MO is much more versatile when it comes to controlling voices in a live situation and editing sounds or MIDI files without a computer. The MO has 4 volume sliders on its top (as well as 4 control knobs), so you can control 4 voice volumes on the fly in a live performance (I can start with only a piano and later bring in other instruments behind it). That can be done on the MX as well, but not as easily-you need a key press and turn of a knob for each voice volume change (unless you bring a computer along, and then it’s still clunky).  I could use an external controller keyboard with more sliders but that’s just more to carry and cancels out the MX’s lighter weight.

The MX works great with an external sequencer and VST instruments ‘cause that’s what it was designed to do. Voice and performance editing are easy with Vycro or Melas editors. For quick-n-dirty editing of non-standard SMF I still use the MO. The internal sequencer is fairly versatile with an OK display and I’m usually just adding CC’s or cleaning up the files.

If I could only keep one I’d probably stick with the MX because it sounds so good (and find some workarounds for the few things I don’t like about it!).

Hope that helps a little. I’ve found there’s no perfect keyboard out there for every situation, just one that’s “mo betta” for what you’re doing at the moment (and “mo’ betta” wasn’t intended to be a pun-it’s a New Orleans localism for more better).

[ Ignore ]