mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif XS: what’s up with the B keys?"

Posted on: August 14, 2014 @ 10:12 PM
mrdelurk
Total Posts:  151
Joined  09-18-2009

I notice a weird thing: whenever I get a stuck key on my Motif XS8, it’s always a B note. B1, B3, B4, whichever B, sometimes 3 B’s at the same time. And nothing but B’s.

Are B keys built a couple of micrometers closer to something that can stick? I usually open up my XS and vacuum it out, and this solves the sticky keys for a few months.

Not sure if it’s the act of vacuuming or the turning of the XS upside down or just the fresh air in this humid climate when I open the case, something I do solves the issue. Then the next time I get Rachmaninoff-level virtuostic (and only then) on the XS, soon stuck keys appear again. And all B’s, every single dang time.

What’s up with this, anyone knows?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 15, 2014 @ 10:11 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Certain contaminants can cause unwanted electrical conduction, especially when the humidity is high. High humidity can also cause corrosion to develop at internal connections. A more thorough cleaning - not just vacuuming - would probably resolve the problem for a reasonable period. If you have good mechanical and electronic skills, and the Service Manual, then you might be able to do the work yourself. Otherwise, either have the XS serviced by a qualified technician, or continue to just periodically vacuum.

By the way, I’d suggest posting XS6/7/8 questions to the Motif XF forum, since those models have more in common with the XF than they do with the Rack unit.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 15, 2014 @ 04:41 PM
mrdelurk
Joined  09-18-2009

Thank you for your answer, 5pinDIN. By “stuck keys” I meant the B keys get physically stuck at half height during rebound. Not coming fully back up, as if they’re brushing against something. It doesn’t seem to be as much an electronic contact issue as physical friction.

Today is cleaning day, I’ll see what I find inside the XS. The nearest authorized Yamaha service is somewhere in the Continental US, 4000 miles from our island, so I have a repair choice between DIY and DIY. :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 17, 2014 @ 06:25 AM
mrdelurk
Joined  09-18-2009

Vacuuming completed yesterday with success, there are no more stuck keys now. There was not a speck of rust in the XS, the inside looked like brand new. So rust was not a factor here.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 17, 2014 @ 08:28 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
mrdelurk - 15 August 2014 04:41 PM

Thank you for your answer, 5pinDIN. By “stuck keys” I meant the B keys get physically stuck at half height during rebound. Not coming fully back up, as if they’re brushing against something. It doesn’t seem to be as much an electronic contact issue as physical friction.[...]

Sorry, I misinterpreted “stuck key”. I’ve never experienced a sticking key on my XS6 or XF6. It’s interesting that you’re having problems with only the B keys, since the E keys are identical - they not only look the same, so is the part number.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 17, 2014 @ 02:19 PM
mrdelurk
Joined  09-18-2009
5pinDIN - 17 August 2014 08:28 AM

I’ve never experienced a sticking key on my XS6 or XF6.

My XS8 has weighted keys. I think the XS6 I played once was unweighted. Perhaps the extra weighting mechanism might be related to the sticking / dust issue.

Or… the service manual says on Page 53: “There are four (4) kinds of hammers that differ in weight. When reinstalling a hammer, take care not to install a wrong hammer.” I don’t know the service history of this XS8, but I saw some blue Sharpie marks on the hammers. Not sure if Yamaha marks up XS8’s like this at the factory.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 17, 2014 @ 04:53 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Hmm, somehow I missed that you have an XS8 when I made my previous comment. Unlike the XS6 and XS7 (with the FSX action), the B and E keys for the XS8 are different.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 15, 2014 @ 10:37 PM
alanb
Total Posts:  301
Joined  02-15-2009

I am having the same problem on my XS8....only B3 is sticking....I have had it serviced twice...but the problem keeps coming back. I am now thinking of just replacing the key. How do I purchase a replacement key?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 24, 2014 @ 09:15 AM
cliffmcpherson@hotmail.com
Total Posts:  1
Joined  12-24-2014

Weird...just bought a used xs8 and the only issue I have is a B3 key that always feels a little sticky when it’s been unplayed for a while.  I push it down a couple of times and all is good, but might become a problem.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ XS Editor 64bit?
Next Topic:

Voices in Performance Mode ››