mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "What am I overlooking with Pattern play sending out midi info?"

Posted on: December 13, 2014 @ 09:26 PM
JOHN GARGANI
Total Posts:  21
Joined  01-09-2012

Using pattern record, I have a track set up where INT is off and EXT is on:  if I play the track, practicing, it successfully plays the external voice module…

I now go to record the part:  when I go to play it back , I get nothing....

although it sends out the MIDI info to play the external module while actually playing the keyboard, it is not doing so when trying to play back the recorded pattern…

must be something very simple I am overlooking, but it is driving me mad!

this used to be very easy on my old Ensoniq: once you set the internal off on that, the track name would read “MIDI”

please help, anyone…

thanks!  JOHN

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 13, 2014 @ 09:44 PM
JOHN GARGANI
Joined  01-09-2012

I did a search, here, and found a very intricate reply concerning this and I will try what was said, however, I have scoured the manual and cannot find where this is explained anywhere....if there is a section in the manual that addresses this, please let me know…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 13, 2014 @ 10:06 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
JOHN GARGANI - 13 December 2014 09:44 PM

I did a search, here, and found a very intricate reply concerning this and I will try what was said, however, I have scoured the manual and cannot find where this is explained anywhere....if there is a section in the manual that addresses this, please let me know…

You are triggering your external source correctly, but you must also route the MIDI out of the external source back into the XF (correctly) to record to the XF sequencer (perhaps you are, but I didn’t see it mentioned).

Not sure what document you found here, but:

This Article will assist in the setup of the XF (it was written for the XS but can be transposed to the XF).

This Thread will assist in getting the connection back into the XF set up.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2014 @ 12:26 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

I created a “silence” voice and use that when sequencing tracks for external parts. It has one element with the level set to 0.

I can set Int to on when recording, turn it off later.

Easier than using MIDI cables to do the same thing.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2014 @ 01:23 AM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
meatballfulton - 14 December 2014 12:26 AM

I created a “silence” voice and use that when sequencing tracks for external parts. It has one element with the level set to 0.

I can set Int to on when recording, turn it off later.

Easier than using MIDI cables to do the same thing.

That sounds very interesting meatballfulton, could you elaborate just a little?  How does he get the external module MIDI back into the XF to record it?  Or do you send the XF MIDI to both the sequencer (Int. silent VOICE) AND externally to the module (to monitor) while recording… and thus bypass the need for a return MIDI feed from the external module?  Then, set it to Ext. alone to play back?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2014 @ 09:51 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005
cmayhle - 14 December 2014 01:23 AM

do you send the XF MIDI to both the sequencer (Int. silent VOICE) AND externally to the module (to monitor) while recording… and thus bypass the need for a return MIDI feed from the external module?  Then, set it to Ext. alone to play back?

Yes, that is exactly what I do.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 17, 2014 @ 10:34 PM
JOHN GARGANI
Joined  01-09-2012

the answer turned out to be that when recording, you must have the internal AND external switch on:  if the internal is not on, it will not write to MIDI…

then, to mute the internal sound, you go to Mixing, press Mute and mute that internal sound:

so now, what is happening is you are not hearing the internal sound but it is writing to MIDI and you are hearing the external sound......

once you have recorded properly, THEN, you can go back and turn off the internal switch and save it like that....

I got this from the excellent reply in history, but again, what pisses me off is that there nothing about this in the manual....

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 17, 2014 @ 10:52 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
JOHN GARGANI - 17 December 2014 10:34 PM

the answer turned out to be that when recording, you must have the internal AND external switch on:  if the internal is not on, it will not write to MIDI…

then, to mute the internal sound, you go to Mixing, press Mute and mute that internal sound:

so now, what is happening is you are not hearing the internal sound but it is writing to MIDI and you are hearing the external sound......

once you have recorded properly, THEN, you can go back and turn off the internal switch and save it like that....

I got this from the excellent reply in history, but again, what pisses me off is that there nothing about this in the manual....

Well...yes, that is quite similar to what meatballfulton suggested above, only he used a “silent” VOICE to record the MIDI to the sequencer while monitoring the module (so instead of muting after-the-fact, he just turned off).

The other way to is to run the MIDI back out from the module to record to the sequencer...per the thread referenced above.

Glad you got it working!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Batch export
Next Topic:

Used motif xf ››