mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Help integrating MOXF with LPX"

Page 2 of 2
Posted on: January 19, 2014 @ 09:58 AM
Jas65
Total Posts:  65
Joined  12-28-2013
philwoodmusic - 19 January 2014 09:09 AM

Yes Bad_Mister made a very nice suggestion and it involves recording your ARPs to the internal sequencer so they cease to be arps and become data but still sound the same.

Bad_Mister - 15 January 2014 04:38 AM

Record your data PERFORMANCE to the one piece of gear that was designed to record your playing four PARTS at once without much trouble at all. (Yes, the MOXF) It’s as easy as 1-2-3 (F1-F2-F3 that is):

Call up your PERFORMANCE
Press [RECORD]
The [F1] SETUP Screen appears
Set the target to a blank SONG
Press [F2] REC TR
Set the target to Tracks 1-4
Press [F3] OTHER
Set the KEY ON START = ON

Record your PERFORMANCE to the MOXF sequencer… rinse and repeat until you are happy with how it sounds on playback.

If you want to put the result of that in Logic, you can export a MIDI file from your MOX Sequencer and import it into Logic.

If the performance consist o 4 parts are those converted into 4 midifiles that can be imported to four tracks in logic or just a single midifile?

Edit: as I understand this is explained as “song” that contains all data exported to 1 smf file, I want to be able to eedit the midi data on each part when in logic, is this possibble?

Br
Jack

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 19, 2014 @ 11:17 AM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

You can save your data as a Standard MIDI file from your MOX

1) Press the [FILE] button.

2) Press [F2].

3) Turn the dial to type= ‘SMF’ .

4) Name the file by pressing [SF2] .

5) Use the cursor buttons and [DATA DIAL] to select the letters of the name.

6) Press [SF1] to access the song being saved.

7) The Source should be set to ‘Song’. (Cursor to Source to change it to Pattern if desired.)

8) Cursor to the number below Source and turn the dial to select the song.

9) Press SF1 to save.

I am not clear if the MOX will let you save a Type 0 or a Type 1 MIDI file (or a choice from both)

Perhaps one of the gurus will clarify what it will export.

A type 0 MIDI file will have all the data lumped together on one track.

A type 1 MIDI file will have it separated to respective tracks.

Even if your only option is a Type 0, you can import it into Logic, copy it in its entirety to another 3 separate MIDI tracks and then delete what you don’t need from each, leaving the instrument data you do need on each.

That way, you separate the data yourself. it’s the long way around but it works.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 19, 2014 @ 11:47 AM
Jas65
Joined  12-28-2013

Many thanks Phil!!

Br
Jack

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 19, 2014 @ 02:00 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

The MOXF sequencer is sixteen tracks… It creates a SMF (Standard MIDI File) Type 0. Obviously, a Type 0 MIDI file can have sixteen tracks. MIDI requires a single channels, sixteen channels can co-exist on a single track - the data is only separated to individual tracks for convenience of viewing it and editing.

Type 0 is the universal donor, like Type “O” blood, any sequencer can read a Type 0 format file. It is certainly the most useful when moving data from one sequencer to another sequencer.

A basic MIDI system is 16 channels. The MOXF synth represents a basic MIDI system. Type 0 files represent a basic MIDI system.

A single PORT - which is the equivalent of two 5-pin MIDI cables: an IN and an OUT.

Type 1 is not necessarily a universally readable format, because it can be very specific to the owner’s MIDI system. In a Type 1 setup you are using multiple Ports of MIDI. Say you have a MOXF and a separate sixteen Part multi-timbral tone module. Each could be addressed from your DAW on a separate Port.

Remember each Port is a basic MIDI system with 16 channels. So in a Type 1 file I might have two Channel 1’s… One on Port 1 to the MOXF, and on a totally separate Port, another MIDI channel 1 for the module. These would be total discreet from each other. Each device has its own 16 channels

Saving a SMF as Type 1 means I could have multiple MIDI systems each discreetly addressed by the file. But I would be a fool to release this if I wanted everyone/someone else to be able to load it, unless they have a MIDI setup exactly like mine. Its a multiple Port system, each with its own 16 channels.

Type 0 is the universal donor because all MIDI system have at least the basic 16 channels. Whether you choose to “dissolve” or “split” or whatever your DAW calls it, to separate tracks, is totally up to you. It does not change anything but the eye candy.

After NAMM we will begin an online a User Group where we’ll attempt to address these issues. I work mostly in Cubase with just one MIDI track while recording MIDI… I only split the data out to separate tracks to look at it and edit it.

A MIDI channel event always includes the channel. You play middle C at a velocity of 100 on MIDI channel 1

90 3C 64 (in hex)

9 Note-On, 0 channel 1
3C = note 60 or middle C
64 = velocity 100

All MIDI “channel events” include the channel number as apart of the message, whether you’re using one track or separate tracks, it’s just convenience… Not anything more or less.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 20, 2014 @ 02:35 AM
Jas65
Joined  12-28-2013

ahh...im almost giving up on this thing,,,

i have managed to direct record a performance to the seq of the mox.

part one of this recorded performace i have managed to record as a audio track in logic, logic and mox was in sync....but something happened..

when trying to lay track 2 as audio this is happening..

when pressing play on logic the mox seq starst and “ext” is showing in the mox display,same thing when stopping the logic then seq stops and so far so good..

problem..when pressing play on logic and the tempo for instance set to 120 on both logic and mox and starting play on locgic the tempo shifts in the seq of the mox.???...also as described play and stop works from logic but not rewinding forward,back and to the startpoint?

you can cleary here that when trying to rehearsal an arpeggio along with the recorded audiotrack the tempo shifts down when play is pressed on logic
if both starts with ex 120 and i press stop in logic the mox seq shows 118,3 and other different tempos that wasnt assigned from the begining..

what are im doing wrong here???

br
jack

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 20, 2014 @ 03:41 AM
Jas65
Joined  12-28-2013

ok solved my own problem, did a factory reset and everything works, chosed the stand alone quick set up and tempo holds,when used the direct daw it was shifting?

br
jack

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 30, 2014 @ 07:39 PM
jerrydpi
Total Posts:  973
Joined  11-03-2012
philwoodmusic - 14 January 2014 07:51 PM

Let’s try and get the drums down.

I’m presuming your music is either in song or pattern mode.

- Mute all your parts but not the drums using the mute controls on your MOXF.

- You said drums were assigned to 1 and 2.  If that is so, select your first available STEREO audio track in Logic and set its input to 1 and 2

- Press the R to record enable it, it will go red when you do so.

At this point, Logic should present you with a dialogue box asking you to name the session and set where you want to save the audio.

Name the session and tell it where you want to save the audio then click ok.

Press PLAY on Logic (not record)

Make sure your your DAW level slider on your MOXF is up.

You will hear just your drums part and hopefully see the metering on your Logic track bounce up and down (do make sure your tempo in logic matches the tempo of your music)

If the input level seems low, adjust the output level of the sound on your MOXF.

When you get a nice input level on your Logic audio track, you are ready to try a recording.

Before you do so, it is a good idea to make sure that your MIDI Local control on your MOXF is set to OFF otherwise you will get a weird doubling or phasing sound whilst you record.

Please also make sure that Cycle (Loop) is disabled.

Try a recording:

You can either click the record button with your mouse or simply press R on your qwerty keyboard.

Let Logic record your entire stereo drum track and press stop shortly after the drums stop.

Once recorded, take your audio track in Logic out of record enable.

Be aware that the MOXF is still synced when you play Logic back to hear your recording, so mute your drum part at your MOXF to be sure you are only hearing the audio track you just recorded in Logic, and not both!

See if you can get that done.

Audio track 1 - Drums - Inputs 1 and 2 (stereo)

Audio track 2 - Bass - Input 3 (mono)

Audio track 3 - EP - inputs 1 and 2 (record in separate pass after the other parts are recorded)

audio track 4 - Horns - inputs 3 and 4 (record in same pass as EP)

Record enable both tracks for drums and bass, play some notes to get an idea of input level.  If it is too low, then you need to change the output level of each part of your performance on the MOXF.

Set Logic up with a count in, (click the metronome icon on the transport bar)

Press record and start playing when it counts you in - you’ll get one measure as the default count in.

Once you have recorded your drums and bass, take their audio tracks out of record enable, Set your EP to outputs 1 and 2 on your MOXF and mute your other parts so you can only hear your EP and the recorded tracks you made in Logic.

Use your next available STEREO audio track for the EP and set inputs to 1 and 2 (or create a new stereo audio track if you haven’t already)

Same for horns with inputs 3 and 4

Repeat the recording process with the count in.

I do wish you weren’t using a performance and had your music in either Song, Pattern or as a midi file :(

Should I do the above by using the MOXF usb Interface out straight to my MBP or go out the analog outs on the MOXF into my Universal Audio Apollo?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 01, 2014 @ 12:28 AM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

Either works.

Apollo would eliminate the need to be continually changing the output routing on the MOXF.

Also, you won’t get any feedback if you are accidentally incorrectly monitoring.

I’m sure you’ve come across that before.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 01, 2014 @ 12:31 AM
jerrydpi
Total Posts:  973
Joined  11-03-2012
philwoodmusic - 01 December 2014 12:28 AM

Either works.

Apollo would eliminate the need to be continually changing the output routing on the MOXF.

Also, you won’t get any feedback if you are accidentally incorrectly monitoring.

I’m sure you’ve come across that before.

That I have (you have a good memory) :)

[ Ignore ]  

Page 2 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ No audi-recording of audio from Logic ?
Next Topic:

Logic and Vst ››