mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif Classic Fc1 Fc2 assign frustration."

Posted on: November 22, 2014 @ 08:26 PM
Markando68
Total Posts:  10
Joined  11-22-2014

I’m a newbie to this programming. Basically, I have a performance with PaRT 1 PIANO and Part 2 strings. I want to fade the strings in and out via FC2.  I’m close.  I can fade the strings in on FC2 with it with Rcw sw Expression checked and Control change. BUT, my FC1 pedal for the piano on part 1 is not operative unless FC2 is at a minimum volume.  No volume in Part 2 then nothing in part 1 FC1.  I know this is something simple but I’m just not getting it. I’ve read several tutorials but I’m missing something.  I’ll buy you a beer if this I can solve this before tomorrow.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 22, 2014 @ 09:13 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

I’m more familiar with the XS and XF than I am with the Classic, but this should be applicable anyway…

In Performance Mode, all Parts are on the same MIDI channel. Since CC (Control Change) MIDI messages are Channel messages, if the Motif gets a Volume message with a value of 0(zero) for Part 2, it will therefore also affect Part 1 of the Performance.

In multitimbral modes (Song and Pattern) the Parts by default are on separate MIDI channels. Copying your Performance to a Song or Pattern should allow the two foot controllers to have independent control. See http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/468126/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 22, 2014 @ 11:56 PM
stoneb3
Total Posts:  851
Joined  06-05-2011
Markando68 - 22 November 2014 08:26 PM

I’m a newbie to this programming. Basically, I have a performance with PaRT 1 PIANO and Part 2 strings. I want to fade the strings in and out via FC2.  I’m close.  I can fade the strings in on FC2 with it with Rcw sw Expression checked and Control change. BUT, my FC1 pedal for the piano on part 1 is not operative unless FC2 is at a minimum volume.  No volume in Part 2 then nothing in part 1 FC1.  I know this is something simple but I’m just not getting it. I’ve read several tutorials but I’m missing something.  I’ll buy you a beer if this I can solve this before tomorrow.

To achieve this in Performance Mode you will need to edit and store your string voice to a User Location.

In voice mode press edit, while in common edit press output, set to zero.
Press CTL SET, select an unused set (usually one with depth set to zero). Set Source to FC2, Destination to Volume, and Depth to +63. Verify that the Voice responds properly to FC2.
Store the voice.

Return to Performance Mode, edit your performance to include your edited string Voice.
You can leave all boxes checked in RCV Switch edit. FC1 will control Expression of the total performance while FC2 will only control the volume of your string part. If you disable EXP on the String part it may end up louder in relative volume to your other parts, whatever suits your fancy I suppose.

Stone

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 23, 2014 @ 04:47 AM
Markando68
Joined  11-22-2014

My desire is to have parts 1 and 2 volumes to be totally independent of each other so expression of the total performance is counter to my objective.  Is using expression a global application?  Should I uncheck control change?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 23, 2014 @ 10:11 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Markando68 - 23 November 2014 04:47 AM

My desire is to have parts 1 and 2 volumes to be totally independent of each other so expression of the total performance is counter to my objective.  Is using expression a global application?  Should I uncheck control change?

Did you read my previous post, above?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 23, 2014 @ 01:57 PM
stoneb3
Joined  06-05-2011
Markando68 - 23 November 2014 04:47 AM

Unchecking the expression box on the string part will give you separate control of each part independent of each pedal. No need to uncheck control change.

I’ve provided a scenario of how this is accomplished in Performance Mode as this was the query of your original post(s). 5pinDin has provided an excellent alternate route which would suit your needs as well. It may be of benefit to explore each and gain some familiarity with their functions. Both have merit but the use of Song/Pattern mode would not result in the loss of a User Voice location.
As always, I’d suggest backing up your data.

Stone

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 23, 2014 @ 11:03 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Sorry, it’s obvious I need to get more sleep…

Forget what I wrote about using Song/Pattern modes, because while the Parts would be on separate MIDI channels (resolving the foot controller conflict), the keyboard can’t control the two Parts as a layer that way. If the Parts are set to the same Receive Channel to achieve a layer, the original problem recurs.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 24, 2014 @ 12:30 AM
stoneb3
Joined  06-05-2011
5pinDIN - 23 November 2014 11:03 PM

Sorry, it’s obvious I need to get more sleep…

Forget what I wrote about using Song/Pattern modes, because while the Parts would be on separate MIDI channels (resolving the foot controller conflict), the keyboard can’t control the two Parts as a layer that way. If the Parts are set to the same Receive Channel to achieve a layer, the original problem recurs.

Never gave it a thought, and I’ve had plenty of sleep. Aye.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 25, 2014 @ 10:48 AM
jazz.preest
Total Posts:  263
Joined  06-06-2013

Along the lines of Stone’s solution, here’s a post on how to do it for a later Motif version; don’t know if this works for the Classic: http://www.motifator.com/index.php/archive/viewthread/168709/

Wondering why using a Song/Pattern Mixing and two Zones in Master mode won’t work? (Don’t have a Motif and two sweep pedals, so can’t test).

Also, if you can’t find a satisfactory solution, you can always shell out $350 for the Yamaha MFC10.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 28, 2014 @ 07:49 PM
Markando68
Joined  11-22-2014

Ok. Getting my objective by creating User Voices is what was explained and I’ve never attempted to do that so my learning curve is extending a lot more now.  I’ll try it but the ‘not sure if theis works for the Classic’ gives me some hesitancy.  I guess its one way to ascertain if i should upgrade my classic to a model where this seemingly popular edit objective would be a much easier pathway.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Quality of analog input
Next Topic:

sending arp arpeggio notes out midi ››