mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MOTIF XS8 SPDIF sounds like garbage compared to headphones - why?"

Page 2 of 2
Posted on: November 15, 2014 @ 09:28 PM
harshalnaidu
Total Posts:  38
Joined  03-07-2014

Ha ha. What a practical piece of advice. That’s what I ended up doing.

Just that I need to connect another arranger using the analog inputs so I was hoping to use spdif with motif given the cables I have.

I wonder why the disturbance if the sample rate and latency are taken care of.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 15, 2014 @ 10:57 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
harshalnaidu - 15 November 2014 05:44 PM

I have the Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 audio interface. Setting the clock to S/PDIF did not solve the issue.

Here’s my setup

Motif XF8 > S/PDIF cable -> Audio interface -> USB to host -> Yoga 2 pro laptop.

Asio buffer size set to 1ms in the scarlett control panel software.

Any help would be appreciated.

harshalnaidu - 15 November 2014 09:28 PM

[...]I wonder why the disturbance if the sample rate and latency are taken care of.

Since more than one “issue” was raised in this thread, please describe the “disturbance” you are experiencing, and under what conditions it occurs.

You mention “Asio buffer size set to 1ms” and “latency” is “taken care of”. Is your CPU load low enough so that the smallest buffer is sufficient?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 17, 2014 @ 01:04 AM
harshalnaidu
Joined  03-07-2014

Thank you for taking the time for trying to help me. There is only one issue that I have -

When recording in Cubase using a SPDIF cable the recorded audio has a lot of clicks/pops.I can’t hear as many when I’m playing but there are still a few. This is not the case when I use the analog cables.

THE CPU utilization was around 50% on an average when setting the low buffer size. The issue occurred when I changed the buffer size to 5 and even 10 ms.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 17, 2014 @ 02:55 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
harshalnaidu - 17 November 2014 01:04 AM

Thank you for taking the time for trying to help me. There is only one issue that I have -

When recording in Cubase using a SPDIF cable the recorded audio has a lot of clicks/pops.I can’t hear as many when I’m playing but there are still a few. This is not the case when I use the analog cables.

THE CPU utilization was around 50% on an average when setting the low buffer size. The issue occurred when I changed the buffer size to 5 and even 10 ms.

Since the analog audio is OK, I don’t know if this will help:
http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/focusrite-scarlett-interface-popping-and-clicking/

Although I don’t usually use the DIGITAL OUT on my XS or XF, I tried them with a 75 ohm cable (about 15’/5m long) into some digital-only computer speakers. The S/PDIF signal worked without problem in both cases.

By the way, the characteristics of the S/PDIF cable can be important, especially if it’s more than about 3’/1m long. A cable that doesn’t meet the specs can degrade the signal enough to cause dropouts.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 23, 2014 @ 01:52 AM
harshalnaidu
Joined  03-07-2014

Thank you for the link. I did try the AIO4All driver as given in the link by then I can’t use my audio interface for input routing. I haven’t had a chance to change the cable though. I will try that. My current cable is 1M long.

From what I’ve read and researched so far, this seems to be a cable quality issue.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 2 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Axxe voices stop at bottom end
Next Topic:

There is an UPDATE!!!! ››