mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif XF8 and a Yamaha RX5 Drum Machine"

Posted on: November 19, 2014 @ 04:13 AM
Jim Shoe
Total Posts:  71
Joined  06-18-2014

I have a lot of gear from the 80’s, one of which is an RX5 drum machine.  There are a lot of great patterns in the RX5 and I programmed a lot of drum sequences (songs).  Does anyone know how I can connect my RX5 to the Motif XF8 to get these patterns and songs into the Motif?  Perhaps with MIDI and simply record them into the XF8?  Still muddling through the vastness of the Motif.  I hope I know 3% of it by 2020!  Thanks in advance for the help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 19, 2014 @ 10:54 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Capturing the RX5 sequences isn’t a big challenge - connect MIDI-Out of the RX5 to MIDI-In of the XF, make sure that the MIDI transmit and receive channels match, play the RX5 sequence, record on the XF.

Drum kit mapping is probably a somewhat bigger issue. Though about the ES, this still applies:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/archive/viewthread/257542/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 20, 2014 @ 02:35 AM
Jim Shoe
Total Posts:  71
Joined  06-18-2014

Thanks for the tip.  The drum mapping is what I was concerned with since back in the day, GM did not exist.  A lot of work went into making those patterns to perfection.  I guess there will be more work ahead if I want them back.  Or, use my RX5 and jam away.  Either way, thanks again for your answer.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 20, 2014 @ 01:13 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Jim Shoe - 20 November 2014 02:35 AM

Thanks for the tip.  The drum mapping is what I was concerned with since back in the day, GM did not exist.  A lot of work went into making those patterns to perfection.  I guess there will be more work ahead if I want them back.  Or, use my RX5 and jam away.  Either way, thanks again for your answer.

You’re welcome. Yes, sometimes it’s much easier to just continue to use older gear, especially when you’ve already invested a lot of time in it.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Q. Use of Zones in Master Mode..
Next Topic:

Sampling old synthesizers into a Motif XF8. ››