mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "FW16e vs. MR816 as primary interface"

Posted on: October 29, 2014 @ 06:28 PM
smooveface
Total Posts:  97
Joined  08-16-2009

So, I’ve been using a setup where I have my XS7 daisy chained to the MR816 via the FW16e. I originally bought the MR816 before I bought the FW16e for the XS7. Now that I have both, I’m wondering if I really need 2 audio interfaces for what I’m trying to accomplish. With the FW16e providing 16 ins into Cubuse (soon to be Logic), I only use the analog audio inputs for recording one of my sound modules and occassionally for vocals.

With that being the case, I don’t know if I’m really using all of the features of the MR816 and maybe could do what I need with just the FW16e alone. I can’t believe I just found out you could use the FW16e as a primary audio interface for all of you DAW recording needs. The question I have is:

1. Sound quality. How do the converters on the FW16e compare to those on the MR816?

2.Would I be able to run 3rd party VST instruments and other plugins through the FW16e (without the MR816)?

Any other limitations using the FW16e instead of the MR816?

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 29, 2014 @ 06:54 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

The converters are in the XS, not the FW16e.

You lose XLR ins, phantom power and better mike preamps if you dump the MR816.

Yes, you can still use VSTs with the FW16e, it returns the audio from your computer and sends it to the XS main stereo outs.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 29, 2014 @ 08:41 PM
smooveface
Total Posts:  97
Joined  08-16-2009
meatballfulton - 29 October 2014 06:54 PM

The converters are in the XS, not the FW16e.

You lose XLR ins, phantom power and better mike preamps if you dump the MR816.

Yes, you can still use VSTs with the FW16e, it returns the audio from your computer and sends it to the XS main stereo outs.

Thanks for the info. How do the converters on the XS compare to the ones on the MR816? Or is it not even a fair comparison. I would assume the MR816 ones are far and above better than the ones on the XS.

[ Ignore ]