mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Arpeggiator MIDI Sequence recording in Cubase"

Posted on: October 17, 2014 @ 10:25 PM
euphoniousmusic
Total Posts:  65
Joined  10-05-2013

Is there a way of recording the MOX8 system arpeggiator MIDI sequence into Cubase?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 17, 2014 @ 11:53 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

If you search ‘Direct performance recording” on this forum you should get some good info,

It will let you record your ARP into the internal sequencer of the MOX where it can be exported as a MIDI file and then imported into Cubase.

Beware, direct performance recording is quite a touchy subject.  I’m talking beyond politics, religion, UFOs and the Illuminati, all of which pale into insignificance by comparison to it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 18, 2014 @ 11:50 AM
Tacman7
Total Posts:  680
Joined  06-16-2006

That’s one way.

In utilities there’s a way to turn on the arp midi output.

In a DAW setup you sync your computer and the mox with midi clock.

So send midi clock to the midi port where the mox is and set timing to midi in utilities.

I record my chord progression in whole note chords in my DAW then send them to the mox while recording the arp output on a different channel.

It’s pretty simple once you get used to how it works.

Good to get familiar with the menu structure of the utilities and understand the settings.

Working with a DAW you probably want local off also.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 18, 2014 @ 02:40 PM
euphoniousmusic
Joined  10-05-2013
Tacman7 - 18 October 2014 11:50 AM

That’s one way.

In utilities there’s a way to turn on the arp midi output.

In a DAW setup you sync your computer and the mox with midi clock.

So send midi clock to the midi port where the mox is and set timing to midi in utilities.

I record my chord progression in whole note chords in my DAW then send them to the mox while recording the arp output on a different channel.

It’s pretty simple once you get used to how it works.

Good to get familiar with the menu structure of the utilities and understand the settings.

Working with a DAW you probably want local off also.

MOX8 is still a beast to me. Haven’t really used it much.

So far I’ve been working only in Cubase 7. Could you explain why do I need to sync a midi clock here? Because I am only wanting to record the arpeggiator sequence into Cubase 7.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 18, 2014 @ 05:46 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

With sync set up, Cubase is the master and the MOX is the slave and they are synchronised by MIDI clock.

The idea is that when you put Cubase in record, the MOX will play perfectly in time with it.  (in your case your ARP)

MIDI clock is tempo dependant as such.  If you know the tempo of your ARP then you can dial that in to your Cubase project first.

During recording, anything that happens musically at a specific measure and beat on the MOX gets recorded to the exact same measure and beat in the DAW. (if not absolutely then relatively depending on when you start playing)

ARPs are strictly regimented in terms of timing, so the problem you will have as a human being is starting them in time.  Even if you are the best player in the world, you will still be a little off when trying to play something so strictly regimented (your ARP) against something equally as strictly regimented (your Cubase project)

As a result the whole thing will be strictly out of time, despite being strictly in time with itself.

The good thing is that with all the various tools in Cubase (including quantize) you will get it all perfectly in time and regimented without much hassle.

I was unclear on how you plan to play your ARP which is why I suggested DPR (oh the drama!) but is that what you plan to do...just play as much as you need of your ARP live in to Cubase and then get it in time so you can use it as part of your song or composition?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 18, 2014 @ 07:17 PM
euphoniousmusic
Joined  10-05-2013
philwoodmusic - 18 October 2014 05:46 PM

With sync set up, Cubase is the master and the MOX is the slave and they are synchronised by MIDI clock.

The idea is that when you put Cubase in record, the MOX will play perfectly in time with it.  (in your case your ARP)

MIDI clock is tempo dependant as such.  If you know the tempo of your ARP then you can dial that in to your Cubase project first.

During recording, anything that happens musically at a specific measure and beat on the MOX gets recorded to the exact same measure and beat in the DAW.

ARPs are strictly regimented in terms of timing, so the problem you will have as a human being is starting them in time.  Even if you are the best player in the world, you will still be a little off when trying to play something so strictly regimented (your ARP) against something equally as strictly regimented (your Cubase project)

As a result the whole thing will be strictly out of time, despite being strictly in time with itself.

The good thing is that with all the various tools in Cubase (including quantize) you will get it all perfectly in time and regimented without much hassle.

I was unclear on how you plan to play your ARP which is why I suggested DPR (oh the drama!) but is that what you plan to do...just play as much as you need of your ARP live in to Cubase and then get it in time so you can use it as part of your song or composition?

Thanks a ton Phil. It makes sense now. However I have no clue how to proceed, step by step instructions will be very useful however.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 20, 2014 @ 04:28 AM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

ok,

It would be a good idea for you to tell us what you actually intend to do and what outcome you want first of all.

You’ll need to get familiar with the Syncronization settings in Cubase before you do anything and get a handle on enabling MIDI clock (not midi time code) and making sure that your MOX is receiving it. (making the MOX the destination)

Transport menu > Project Synchronization Setup > MIDI Clock Out>(check desired MIDI Clock Destination.

A good test that your MOX is receiving sync is to put it in SONG MODE and press play on your DAW, the MOX should kick into PLAY at the same time.

There’s some good info about Syncronization in THIS ARTICLE

Obviously you’re going to be wanting to record ARPs from performance mode, though.

So, I would suggest you also read THIS ARTICLE

Tacman7 mentioned earlier in this thread about being able to play and record the MIDI data of your ARP directly into your DAW.

So that’s all about QUICK SETUP 2 (Arp Rec) QUICK SETUP 3 (Direct Arp)

It’s a lot to take on board.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 20, 2014 @ 10:10 AM
euphoniousmusic
Joined  10-05-2013
philwoodmusic - 20 October 2014 04:28 AM

ok,

It would be a good idea for you to tell us what you actually intend to do and what outcome you want first of all.

You’ll need to get familiar with the Syncronization settings in Cubase before you do anything and get a handle on enabling MIDI clock (not midi time code) and making sure that your MOX is receiving it. (making the MOX the destination)

Transport menu > Project Synchronization Setup > MIDI Clock Out>(check desired MIDI Clock Destination.

A good test that your MOX is receiving sync is to put it in SONG MODE and press play on your DAW, the MOX should kick into PLAY at the same time.

There’s some good info about Syncronization in THIS ARTICLE

Obviously you’re going to be wanting to record ARPs from performance mode, though.

So, I would suggest you also read THIS ARTICLE

Tacman7 mentioned earlier in this thread about being able to play and record the MIDI data of your ARP directly into your DAW.

So that’s all about QUICK SETUP 2 (Arp Rec) QUICK SETUP 3 (Direct Arp)

It’s a lot to take on board.

Thanks a lot. My problem is to get the arpeggiator MIDI pattern from Yamaha MOX8 into Cubase 7.5 when I am playing it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 20, 2014 @ 10:24 AM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

That should be fine then.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ MOX Arps
Next Topic:

Connecting MOX6 to an iPad 4 (Lightning) ››