mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MOXF6 sequencer: Can’t record to channel after pattern section copy"

Posted on: October 19, 2014 @ 09:46 AM
eiriksson
Total Posts:  5
Joined  07-05-2014

Dear experts,

I think my MOXF6 is amazing but I’m occasionally experiencing some weird problems.

I’ve got a pattern section “C” that I’ve set channel#1 to a user voice, selected arp#1 (PRE->SEQ->HOUSE->7247) and recorded it OK.

Then I copied section “C” to “D” and wanted to record same voice (ch.#1) with arp#3 (PRE->CNTR->ASIGN->7937).
When I record in part “D” (with replace/loop) on channel #1 with arp#3 selected, nothing get played back after recording. The channel, however, indicates that it contains data (the “box” symbol under channel no. at top of display becomes solid-line instead of dotted).

I’ve checked that channel #1 is not muted, neither in pattern or mixing mode. The voice on ch.#1 sound correct when I play it with the the sequencer running. No matter what I try, I can’t seem to get playback from recording #1 in my copied section “D”.

Any hints or suggestions? Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Very best,
Henrik, Denmark

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 19, 2014 @ 10:09 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Welcome to the forum.

I have a Motif XS and XF, but not the MOXF, and I haven’t experienced the problem you described. Hopefully someone familiar with your problem will post.

Some issues were addressed in OS updates. If your MOXF does not have the latest firmware, version 1.10 can be downloaded here.

There might be some errant MIDI data in the Pattern section that’s causing the issue. Have you used the Event List to examine it? If you’re willing to do so, you might post an All Pattern (.X6P) file that includes the troublesome Pattern so that other MOXF users might be able to spot a problem. Please zip the file before attaching it to a post.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 19, 2014 @ 11:31 AM
eiriksson
Joined  07-05-2014

Hi 5pinDIN, thanks for your prompt reply.

My firmware version is 1.01.0 so I’ll try an upgrade and see if that sorts the problem. The upgrade README warns that it’ll will wipe all user settings so I’ll make sure to do a complete backup first.

Thanks for the link to the latest firmware - saved me the search :)

Best wishes,
Henrik

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 19, 2014 @ 12:37 PM
eiriksson
Joined  07-05-2014

Well, the firmware upgrade went fine and the backup imported OK.
But, the upgrade brought with it additional weirdness…
Now when I record to section “C” on ch.#1 with arp#1, then copy section “C” to “D” and record/replace “D” sections ch.#1 with arp#3, the same problem with missing playback - but now when I go back to section “C”, I find that playback on ch.#1 on section “C” is also silent…

Its almost as if ch.#1 on section “C” & “D” are somehow linked and overwriting each other.. or something.

Could it have something to do with the arps being non-note (controller & filter arps)?? Both arp#1 & #3 in my pattern are type=sortdirect, which I think means it’ll record my keypresses and apply arp modulation on top of that (correct?).

I’m stumped and just guessing wildly… If this rings a bell with anyone, then I’d appreciate a hint :)

Best wishes,
Henrik

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 19, 2014 @ 01:31 PM
eiriksson
Joined  07-05-2014

Setting arp keymode=direct (ARP/EDIT->MAIN->KEYMODE) seems to have solved the problem.

Not sure why, so I better learn me some MOXF6 arp theory.. any suggestions for a good tutorial? :)

best wishes,
Henrik

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 19, 2014 @ 01:41 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
eiriksson - 19 October 2014 12:37 PM

[...]Now when I record to section “C” on ch.#1 with arp#1, then copy section “C” to “D” and record/replace “D” sections ch.#1 with arp#3, the same problem with missing playback - but now when I go back to section “C”, I find that playback on ch.#1 on section “C” is also silent…

Its almost as if ch.#1 on section “C” & “D” are somehow linked and overwriting each other.. or something.[...]

Other users have posted about problems when copying Pattern sections or tracks:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/473480/
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/473188/

I don’t know if those are related or not, but if nobody posts with an answer, speaking to Yamaha support would seem to be the next step.

EDIT: eiriksson posted again while I was finding the above links. See my next post.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 19, 2014 @ 01:50 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
eiriksson - 19 October 2014 01:31 PM

Setting arp keymode=direct (ARP/EDIT->MAIN->KEYMODE) seems to have solved the problem.

Not sure why, so I better learn me some MOXF6 arp theory.. any suggestions for a good tutorial? :)

best wishes,
Henrik

Thanks for posting your solution.

See http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/arpeggios_explored_part_i
and the link at the end to the second part.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 19, 2014 @ 02:39 PM
eiriksson
Joined  07-05-2014

Thanks 5pinDIN! :D

Those forum threads were really useful.

MrMotif explained it in his post on this thread you linked.
(see post: September 27, 2014 @ 09:55 AM)

The “ghost” seems to be in the phrases.

As I understand it now (I think) is when you copy a pattern section, the phrases of the source are not duplicated in the destination, but linked back to the source - so if you record onto a channel with a linked phrase, it changes everywhere that phrase is linked.
If I go to the PATCH tab in a pattern section and clear the track in there (thus deleting/unlinking existing phrases, I guess) I can record/replace new stuff (...am I understanding this correctly)?

I get it from a memory saving perspective, but its confusing at first because no other sequencers I’ve used employ this trick.

best wishes,
Henrik

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 19, 2014 @ 02:56 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
eiriksson - 19 October 2014 02:39 PM

Thanks 5pinDIN! :D

Those forum threads were really useful.

MrMotif explained it in his post on this thread you linked.
(see post: September 27, 2014 @ 09:55 AM)

The “ghost” seems to be in the phrases.[...]

Thanks for your additional observations.

By the way, when referring to a previous post, the time, and even the date, might not agree with what others will see, since it changes depending on the time zone you’re in. For MrMotif‘s post, although the date agrees with what you posted, as do the minutes, the hour I see doesn’t. I try to give such references by the member name, and if that person posted more than once in the thread, which one by number it is.

[ Ignore ]