mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Lower velocity sensitivity of black keys compared to white keys"

Posted on: October 04, 2014 @ 07:46 PM
cabot001
Total Posts:  4
Joined  06-10-2010

I have an MX49 and the black keys have a lower velocity sensitivity compared to the white keys. This is particularly noticeable on piano sounds. If I play the MX49 via MIDI from another keyboard, there is no problem and the black and white notes sound with the same volume when, say a chord is played with white notes and black notes in it. I have tried this on an MX61, and the same thing happens.

Also, the MIDI out socket does not seem to be providing any DC voltage to power my MIDI Solutions Velocity Converter - all my other keyboards provide 7V from their MIDI out sockets.

Has anyone else noticed these problems. I have updated to V.1.01, but the problems are still there.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 10, 2014 @ 08:35 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
cabot001 - 04 October 2014 07:46 PM

I have an MX49 and the black keys have a lower velocity sensitivity compared to the white keys. This is particularly noticeable on piano sounds. If I play the MX49 via MIDI from another keyboard, there is no problem and the black and white notes sound with the same volume when, say a chord is played with white notes and black notes in it. I have tried this on an MX61, and the same thing happens.

Also, the MIDI out socket does not seem to be providing any DC voltage to power my MIDI Solutions Velocity Converter - all my other keyboards provide 7V from their MIDI out sockets.

Has anyone else noticed these problems. I have updated to V.1.01, but the problems are still there.

I don’t have an MX (mine are Motif XS and XF), so I can’t address the key velocity issue.

As to voltage available at the MIDI-Out socket, the MX is known to not have a standard MIDI-Out port. If it did, the voltage would be 5 volts (not 7, by the way). Some manufacturers are using 3.3 volts, and it might be that Yamaha did so on the MX. MIDI Solutions has a Power Adapter designed to resolve the problem: http://www.midisolutions.com/prodpwr.htm

This FAQ lists products that won’t directly power MIDI Solutions devices: http://www.midisolutions.com/faqs.htm

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 11, 2014 @ 07:23 AM
cabot001
Total Posts:  4
Joined  06-10-2010

Hi 5pinDIN,

Thanks for the reply and for putting me right on the 5V aspect! I have several of John Fast’s Velocity Converters and recently ordered his Power Adapter, so I will be trying this out on the MX soon. He has added the MX49/61 to his list of products that won’t power his devices.

Yamaha UK have acknowledged that there is a problem with the black key response on the MX49/61, so hopefully there will be a fix in due course via a firmware update.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ MX firmware update 1.01 worth performing ?
Next Topic:

All outputs in mono ››