mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Sequencer file formats on different models"

Posted on: September 16, 2014 @ 08:07 PM
PatchChord
Total Posts:  1662
Joined  07-29-2002

I’m still using a my 8 ‘classic’ for solo gigs, and I’m stuck because I have about 200 songs in the sequencer and can’t even use them on my ES. I know I can save them as SMFs and convert them with templates, but with 200 songs… what a pain! And nobody seems to make a file conversion utility.

Here’s a question: What’s the rundown on sequencer file compatibility on various generations, from the classic to the XS? Yamaha seems to change the file formats without telling anyone, which is not very nice.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 16, 2014 @ 08:31 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

You already seem aware of the situation with the Classic. This support article and the PDF in the linked ZIP download explain what needs to be done in the case of the ES:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/converting_motif_es_and_mo6_mo8_data_to_the_motif_xs

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 16, 2014 @ 08:33 PM
MrMotif
Total Posts:  1122
Joined  10-02-2002

Because Songs and Patterns contain unique Voice assignments, plus unique (and developing with each model) FX processing, it sort of makes sense to only allow transfer between models at the pure note-data, SMF level, pain though that can be.

Each model of Motif or MO has its own unique file formats for anything and everything and I’m not aware Yamaha hid that, as such. So far as we’re aware, there are no quicker or simpler methods than SMF. Looking on the bright side, whenever you have to do this it lets you (OK makes you!) re-assess your voicing and FX processing. And that can be fun!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 16, 2014 @ 08:44 PM
PatchChord
Joined  07-29-2002

Thanks for the .pdf, which reads:

You may have noticed that we have not
mentioned the original Motif (2001). There is no
conversion function for data from the
original Motif. However, if original Motif data is
converted to ES data, then it can be ported to the
XS.

So, it seems the ALL SONG files can be read from the ES onward.

As far as the ‘fun’ of converting the sequences, especially with multiple scenes throughout, it seems about as fun as a hangnail.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 16, 2014 @ 09:59 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

All Song files can be opened for extraction of voices and samples/waveforms but not the sequence data. Read the footnotes…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 16, 2014 @ 11:45 PM
PatchChord
Joined  07-29-2002

Thanks Meatball… Didn’t see that, but even voices and waveforms will help some. I plan to eventually run the sequences on a tablet and use VSTs. It’s just nice to have them all built in to the keyboard.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Native Instruments Komplete is now complete!
Next Topic:

Updated Yamahasynth website? ››