mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Help finding an ARP pattern"

Posted on: September 10, 2014 @ 10:00 PM
Jeff R 50
Total Posts:  159
Joined  01-11-2014

Hello, can someone please point me in the right direction regarding an ARP pattern I am trying to find in the MOXF8?  All I’m looking for is a simple repeating note (or whole chord) ARP, sort of like what The Who uses in the intros to songs like “Baba O’Reilly” and “Won’t Get Fooled Again” and such.  I’ve been through thousands of the patterns but I just can’t seem to find this simple basic repeating note ARP.  If anyone can tell me what specific ARP pattern(s) would fit the bill, I would really appreciate that info.  Thank you very much.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 11, 2014 @ 06:46 PM
MrMotif
Total Posts:  1122
Joined  10-02-2002

Such an arp may well be present but most tend to be ‘trickier’ than that. If you just record yourself in the Pattern sequencer playing a note or chord in 16th notes and quantize it to hard 16ths you can just create your own arp, which should do the trick.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 11, 2014 @ 08:22 PM
Jeff R 50
Joined  01-11-2014

Thank you MrMotif, I hear what your saying, I just thought there should be a standard repeating ARP pattern somewhere on the board to accomplish this simple effect.  I remember an old Moog Rogue synthesizer I had about 100 years ago that could do that easily.  This particular basic ARP sound is used in so many songs so I assumed it must be in the keyboard somewhere, I guess I will keep on looking for it.  Thanks again for your reply.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 11, 2014 @ 09:13 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Try Seq Genrl 7473 MA_Up Oct1
or Seq Genrl 7477 MA_Down Oct1

These might be interesting:
Seq Genrl 7541 MA_Wavetable8th
Seq Genrl 7542 MA_Wavetable16th

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 12, 2014 @ 10:59 AM
Jeff R 50
Joined  01-11-2014

Thank you 5pindin, I will look at those this evening and see how they sound.  I’m not sure what you are referring to about the wavetable settings though, I haven’t delved that deep into the board yet to understand how to change wavetable settings, etc.  I’m sure its a simple task, I just have not gotten there yet.  Thanks again.  I will post again later if I have any questions and will also let you know it that was the sound I was looking for.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 12, 2014 @ 01:36 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Jeff R 50 - 12 September 2014 10:59 AM

Thank you 5pindin, I will look at those this evening and see how they sound.  I’m not sure what you are referring to about the wavetable settings though, I haven’t delved that deep into the board yet to understand how to change wavetable settings, etc.  I’m sure its a simple task, I just have not gotten there yet.  Thanks again.  I will post again later if I have any questions and will also let you know it that was the sound I was looking for.

You’re welcome.

The Arps I posted are given as:
MainCategory SubCategory ArpNumber ArpName

Don’t be concerned about the Arp Name, just see if those Arps do what you want.
All will repeat a single note if you press only one key, but react differently to chords.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 13, 2014 @ 12:43 PM
Jeff R 50
Joined  01-11-2014

Hi again 5pinDIN, I did try your suggested ARP pattern choices and they do indeed allow one note to be repeated in the manner in which I was seeking but I am still trying to find one that will allow multiple notes / chords to be repeated all together at the same time.  I know this is in there somewhere.... still looking : ) I appreciate your advice and assist.  Jeff

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 13, 2014 @ 02:06 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

The first two I mentioned won’t fill your requirements, but did you try 7541 MA_Wavetable8th and 7542 MA_Wavetable16th? I had never used them before, but on my XF (which has the same Arps, although numbered differently because the MOXF has more) all the keys that are held down repeat simultaneously.

If those two Arps don’t work as I described, I’m curious as to what you’re hearing with them on the MOXF.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 13, 2014 @ 02:56 PM
Jeff R 50
Joined  01-11-2014

Hello 5pinDIN, I just tried those second two ARP patterns you mentioned and they do seem to do mostly what I was hoping for but they are not quite as punchy or “staccatoey” (that’s a new word I just made up) as I was looking for.  The best way I can describe the sound I am trying to achieve is like the the way The Who starts out “Won’t Get Fooled Again” with the organ in a total really cool sounding repeating ARP.  I can’t seem to emulate that sound with the MOXF. I am certain it can do that but I am just too lame to figure it out. Maybe I just need to play around with the controllers on these two ARP’s that you mentioned and tweak them more to what I desire.  Thanks for the continued assistance : )

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 13, 2014 @ 04:17 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

I could program this for you, but where’s the fun in that? :-)

Here’s one possible approach…
Using the 7542 MA_Wavetable16th Arp with tempo set to about 70-75 bpm should get you close. The rest can be a matter of editing the organ Voice you choose by setting its AEG Release Time to 0(zero), Decay 2 Time and Level to 0, and Decay 1 low enough to sound sufficiently staccato without losing the character of the sound.

I hope that encourages you to “dig in” a bit.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 13, 2014 @ 05:23 PM
Jeff R 50
Joined  01-11-2014

Yes it does encourage me to dig in more.... thanks 5pin!  I have been learning how to use this this keyboard in baby steps all along the way so this is just one more small step for me.  Pretty soon, I will be able to talk in full sentences too.  : )

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 13, 2014 @ 06:58 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

You’re welcome.

Please note that I still haven’t learned to speak in quite complete sentences myself, and I left a word out of my previous post. The offending sentence should have read “The rest can be a matter of editing the organ Voice you choose by setting its AEG Release Time to 0(zero), Decay 2 Time and Level to 0, and Decay 1 Time low enough to sound sufficiently staccato without losing the character of the sound.”

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 13, 2014 @ 10:17 PM
Jeff R 50
Joined  01-11-2014

LOL, that’s okay, I never would have caught that omission anyway. I appreciate the assistance and I’m sure I will be posting more questions again soon. Take care.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 16, 2014 @ 11:27 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Here’s a support article which may help with AEG settings:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/learning_about_envelopes_motif_xs_xf_and_mox

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 16, 2014 @ 12:00 PM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002
Jeff R 50 - 13 September 2014 02:56 PM

Hello 5pinDIN, I just tried those second two ARP patterns you mentioned and they do seem to do mostly what I was hoping for but they are not quite as punchy or “staccatoey” (that’s a new word I just made up) as I was looking for.  The best way I can describe the sound I am trying to achieve is like the the way The Who starts out “Won’t Get Fooled Again” with the organ in a total really cool sounding repeating ARP.  I can’t seem to emulate that sound with the MOXF. I am certain it can do that but I am just too lame to figure it out. Maybe I just need to play around with the controllers on these two ARP’s that you mentioned and tweak them more to what I desire.  Thanks for the continued assistance : )

“Won’t Get Fooled Again” is a voice found in Vintage Keys…you can purchase and download that library here:
http://shop.motifator.com/index.php/voice-libraries/moxf/vintage-keys-voice-bank-for-yamaha-motif-mo-x.html

I think you’re actually talking about the Who song “Baba O’Riley”. That features a repeating sequence pattern of notes. The organ part for Won’t Get Fooled Again is not a sequence of notes, it is a series of chords that do not repeat…in other words, it is a specific part that
has to be learned. You can’t program it.

If you cannot find an arp that works for you, you can always program one yourself, in the MO XF sequencer, quantize it, then save it as a user arpeggio.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 17, 2014 @ 12:09 PM
Jeff R 50
Joined  01-11-2014

Thanks for the link 5pinDIN, that article is very informative. 

Dave, I appreciate your input as well.  Are you saying that The Who played that organ part in “Won’t Get Fooled Again” by hand without the help of a synthesizer to repeat the notes? The organ seems to be too perfectly timed and sounds too mechanical and consistent to me to have been played manually.  Oh well.

Thanks again to both you guys for the assist.

[ Ignore ]