mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Multi instrument recording without overdubbing"

Posted on: August 25, 2014 @ 01:10 PM
Chopin123
Total Posts:  232
Joined  01-29-2013

Some studios have many keyboards and you can jump from one to another for different sounds as you record , like Vangelis for example , how do I achieve that using only one keyboard motif XF?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 25, 2014 @ 01:28 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
Chopin123 - 25 August 2014 01:10 PM

Some studios have many keyboards and you can jump from one to another for different sounds as you record , like Vangelis for example , how do I achieve that using only one keyboard motif XF?

If I understand your question correctly, you want to have multiple sounds instantly available on just the XF keyboard for real-time recording?

You could achieve this by setting up note-limited keyboard zones...for example a certain (1.5) octave section of keys plays a bass VOICE, jump to another (2) octave section of keys which plays a piano VOICE, jump to another (1) octave section of keys which plays a synth lead...etc.

Is this what you are asking about?  Do you know how to set up note-limits on PARTS in PERFORMANCE Mode, for example?

If you need more than the (4) PARTS you get in PERFORMANCE Mode, you can switch to SONG or PATTERN Mode and address up to (16) PARTS in a MIXING.  Setting the MIDI receive channel to a uniform (i.e. the same) number for each PART and defining discreet note-limits for each PART will accomplish this.

Keep in mind, however, you will quickly run out of keyboard real estate doing this!  An XF8 will be much more appropriate than an XF6.

EDIT:  If you have the ability to push a button to change sounds, or need larger chunks of the keyboard per sound than you get with the above method, a better approach might be to follow This Article.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 27, 2014 @ 03:02 PM
RobinVT
Total Posts:  210
Joined  01-16-2012

Hi Cmayhle,
I was reading the article above and got to the point where I want to layer 2 instruments in the Pattern Mixing, but can’t find where to change the midi channel so the two will be on the same channel.  Can you help me on how to set this up?  See below and see if you can tell me where it shows you how to get to changing the midi channel or where I can find it in the Ref. Manual.

Recalling an entire SONG MIXING or entire PATTERN MIXING setup will glitch, quite natuarlly - it is tons of data and lots of individual control functions - the trade off (benefit) is each individual MIXING program is extremely powerful… capable of housing 16 different sounds on as many as 16 different MIDI channels (of course you can layer multiple sounds on a single MIDI channel so that you can recall complex layers)… Say you need to play piano and strings layered in your right hand and a bass in your left… simply place these three sounds on the same MIDI channel and use the NOTE LIMIT parameters of the MIXING EDIT to accomplish this
PART 6 = Piano (CH.6) ‘Bb2’ and above 
PART 7 = new Strings (CH.6) ‘Bb2’ and above 
PART 8 = Bass (CH.6) ‘A2’ and below

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 27, 2014 @ 03:21 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
robinvt - 27 August 2014 03:02 PM

Hi Cmayhle,
I was reading the article above and got to the point where I want to layer 2 instruments in the Pattern Mixing, but can’t find where to change the midi channel so the two will be on the same channel.  Can you help me on how to set this up?....

From PATTERN or SONG Mode, go to MIXING Mode, and then to EDIT.  Push the appropriate PART button [1-16] to call up the PART(s) individually to EDIT.

On the Part Basic Settings—[F1] Voice [SF1] Voice screen, you will set the Receive Channel appropriately to affect the PART(s) you wish to play together.

See page 194 of the XF Reference Manual.

On the same page/screen, you can set the Note Limits per each PART...as it appears you are already doing.  So, you’re almost there!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 27, 2014 @ 05:06 PM
RobinVT
Total Posts:  210
Joined  01-16-2012

Thanks, I wasn’t sure if the receive channel was what I should be looking for since I am not a midi guru, but given the time I will get there. LOL
It’s tough to get old.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Play All Patterns?
Next Topic:

Assign 1+2....no more Common control? ››