mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Will motif ever catch up to tyros’ voices ??"

Page 2 of 2
Posted on: August 22, 2014 @ 06:32 PM
SAMM
Total Posts:  32
Joined  08-19-2014

Hallo Abdol,
The Effekt You describe with the pitch bend appears with sounds that are sampled “note by note” what Means That there is One sample for every Key (sorry but my fu...Ing iPad likes to write Big letters as in the German Grammatik (?) so i now will Not Care about this what might Look Strange for you)
So when you press C3 and make a pitchbend to d3 the sample for C3 is just bendet as it is Possible with sampling technique. But when you press the d3 Key without pitchbend You Play a different sample, and this of course Sounds different to the C3-sampled pitchbendet to d3!
I Hope i am understandable.
And again: tyros ONLY works with SAMPLES! But because of the High Processor-Speed today they are able to organize the Playback of samples and Parts of it in a Quite intelligent Manner so You get the Effects You describe in realtime. In the “Peter sidlazec” sample Set of a Vienna Symphonie orchestra for example You have all this Effect-samples, too, but have to organize the Playback through Midi-controllers what Means hard work for the player.

I agree that yamaha did Not develop the Other Sound-sources than sampling. I remember -and Hardly miss Things like FM (DX-7), FDSP (what the hell was the Name of that synth, someting with “-5”!), VL/VP they Had in former Models.
I have a complete “Waldorf Wavecomputer” in my iPad and a analog-like synth like the minimoog. They costed Nearly nothing and Sound really astonishing! 

I’ll stop here, its Going to be too late her in good old Germany.
So long!
-SAMM -

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 22, 2014 @ 06:52 PM
I_Too_Say_So_Long
Total Posts:  728
Joined  09-20-2011

@SAMM

The history that you have is interesting…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 23, 2014 @ 02:10 AM
abdol
Total Posts:  318
Joined  05-30-2012
motidave - 22 August 2014 06:32 PM

Not here to compare Tyros to Motif XF, but the statement that Yamaha (e.g. synth designers) stopped investing in R&D;20 yrs ago baffled me.

Their very last great synth made was ex-5 i guess and it was a mixture of VL and Motif IMHO.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may98/articles/YamahaEX5.html

So don’t really get it what baffled you? What has Yamaha offered within the last 10 years in MOTIF series is mostly negligible compared to what it did 15-20 years ago.

Some of the features people are exaggerating here are not R&D;IMHO. Things like USB, midi over wifi, ethernet and so on are very simple to implement, cheap and doesn’t require lots of money and there have been many other examples.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 23, 2014 @ 05:24 AM
SAMM
Joined  08-19-2014

Hallo abdol,
yes, EX-5 was the model-name i missed in my “personel memory”!
I had that Synth for several years and it was the most flexible sound-machine yamaha built ever: Sample-ROM, sampling, FDSP, VL… and they even had a FLASH-MEMORY-Board at that time!!!

Maybe that the situation worldwide is like here in germany. Not many user are willing or able to pay a really lot of money for a synthesizer (I would try to do!). And because all the Apps and software-instruments that does not cost much money no one can catch the WORTH of a hardware instrument with a nice haptic user interface instead of mouse or touch-pad you get with the PC or Tablet. They think all things have to be cheap, cheap, cheap....

- SAMM -

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 23, 2014 @ 09:41 AM
abdol
Joined  05-30-2012
SAMM - 22 August 2014 06:32 PM

Hallo Abdol,
The Effekt You describe with the pitch bend appears with sounds that are sampled “note by note” what Means That there is One sample for every Key (sorry but my fu...Ing iPad likes to write Big letters as in the German Grammatik (?) so i now will Not Care about this what might Look Strange for you)
So when you press C3 and make a pitchbend to d3 the sample for C3 is just bendet as it is Possible with sampling technique. But when you press the d3 Key without pitchbend You Play a different sample, and this of course Sounds different to the C3-sampled pitchbendet to d3!
I Hope i am understandable.
And again: tyros ONLY works with SAMPLES! But because of the High Processor-Speed today they are able to organize the Playback of samples and Parts of it in a Quite intelligent Manner so You get the Effects You describe in realtime. In the “Peter sidlazec” sample Set of a Vienna Symphonie orchestra for example You have all this Effect-samples, too, but have to organize the Playback through Midi-controllers what Means hard work for the player.

I agree that yamaha did Not develop the Other Sound-sources than sampling. I remember -and Hardly miss Things like FM (DX-7), FDSP (what the hell was the Name of that synth, someting with “-5”!), VL/VP they Had in former Models.
I have a complete “Waldorf Wavecomputer” in my iPad and a analog-like synth like the minimoog. They costed Nearly nothing and Sound really astonishing! 

I’ll stop here, its Going to be too late her in good old Germany.
So long!
-SAMM -

Thanks for directing the conversation on it’s path buddy, I don’t have enough knowledge about Tyros and MOTIF to compare these details and that is just a guesses. I agree. The number of samples used are much less than 88. When you’re changing the pitch of a note it should be transformed into either a sample or a tone which sampler engine produces it. it’s not trivial or processing-wise cheap to morph a signal’s wave form (purely speaking about signal processing) to an available sample if you’re using wavetables I know there are ways for morphing images to other images but you should load both samples in memory to morph. But the pitch bend doesn’t work like that. Having that said I guess some of the instrumental effects available in Tyros SA2 voices is impossible to simulate through sampling so a simple function (which performs similar to a real instrument) is applied on wave forms to get the desired effect and this I guess is borrowed from VL.
I look at it purely from Signal Processing point of view and it’s not impossible to apply the effects to wave forms as they are discrete digital signals.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 26, 2014 @ 08:44 AM
SAMM
Joined  08-19-2014

Hey abdol,
perhaps this will give you some hope:

A man of the Yamaha crew told me (but “he did not tell me” and so I will not have told you!!!!!) that they may get the “Tyros-Chip” end of 2014.

So what might happen???

- SAMM - (who did not told you anything)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 26, 2014 @ 03:47 PM
abdol
Joined  05-30-2012
SAMM - 26 August 2014 08:44 AM

Hey abdol,

A man of the Yamaha crew told me (but “he did not tell me” and so I will not have told you!!!!!) that they may get the “Tyros-Chip” end of 2014.

So what might happen???

That’s very interesting :D So Yamaha wants to repack Tyros in MOTIF cases :P

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 27, 2014 @ 12:37 AM
Vhz
Total Posts:  73
Joined  03-27-2007
abdol - 26 August 2014 03:47 PM
SAMM - 26 August 2014 08:44 AM

Hey abdol,

So what might happen???

That’s very interesting :D So Yamaha wants to repack Tyros in MOTIF cases :P

I wouldn’t mind that at all as long as the price is lower than ridiculous $5k

[ Ignore ]  

Page 2 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ SAMPLING TUTORIAL
Next Topic:

Master function to select external instruments ››