mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "S90-XS vs. MOXF8"

Posted on: February 12, 2014 @ 09:09 PM
Kent_Stallard
Total Posts:  24
Joined  11-24-2002

I’d like some advice on deciding between a S90-XS and a MOXF8.

I’ve had my S-90 for nearly 10 years and want to retire it to become part of a practice rig for home.  I don’t care about sequencing or sampling, or really anything to do with the studio or hooking up with a computer.  I’m not a writer, I’m a performer. (I’m somewhat envious of those creative enough to write their own music)

What’s important to me is having an 88-key weighted board with great sounds that are relatively easily accessible and the ability to create performances with splits and layers.

I’ve actually been waiting to see if a new version of the S-90 is imminent, since the S-90XS is several years old now. Does anyone know if there are plans to update the S-90 series?

What exactly are the key differences between the S-90XS and the MOXF8, and how relevant would they be to someone like me whose priority is performance and not studio?  I like the fact that the MOXF8 is considerably less expensive, but price is not my main concern.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 15, 2014 @ 08:18 PM
MrMotif
Total Posts:  1122
Joined  10-02-2002

Hello Kent,

You sound like a classic S90 guy to me. The S90XS has improved a lot of features that can be limiting on the original S90 (including polyphony!). It’s vastly updated in terms of sounds and many feel it has quite the best pianos on the market.

The Motif XF is a splendid instrument of course but you’re getting a lot of bells and whistles you say you are not interested in. Might you become interested, though? That’s probably a good question to ask yourself. The Motif XF has a ton of voice libraries available for it. Although the S90XS has ‘some’ new libraries, it will never match the Motif platform’s sample-inclusive voice library capability. Again, is that something you ‘might’ like to explore down the line?

Assuming you have basically enjoyed your S90 I’d say the transition to S90XS will be new and exciting enough to make you feel you have a new axe in front of you but not ‘so’ new that you’re going to tearing your hair out, or going to be confronted by a whole bunch of new-fangled gizmos you don’t need.

My 10¢ worth.

MM

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 20, 2014 @ 09:54 AM
Kent_Stallard
Total Posts:  24
Joined  11-24-2002

MM:

Thanks for the advice.

I decided to go with the MOXF8 for three primary reasons (in order of importance):

1. The MOXF8 has a larger library of sounds, and--in my opinion--better quality voices. 

2. Portability--I’m a gigging musician and I like the fact that the MOXF8 is a little smaller and significantly lighter.

3. Price.  I would’ve gone with the MOXF8 even if the price were the same as the S-90XS, but the price difference made it a no-brainer.

I took delivery of the MOXF8 yesterday and spent hours getting familiar with it.  I’m very pleased--it’s a great board.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 22, 2014 @ 12:01 AM
MrMotif
Total Posts:  1122
Joined  10-02-2002

Aha! Re-reading your post I see your original question pitched S90XS against the MOXF and not, as I talked about, the Motif XF. My bad as they say. Yes, your reasons for the choice you made seem very sensible and we hope you have many years of great fun and great gigs with your new instrument.

MM

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 04, 2014 @ 12:07 PM
Deadwing42
Total Posts:  1
Joined  05-30-2014

Hello!
I would also like some advice on deciding between a S90-XS and a MOXF8 to use in live performances with a classic rock cover band.

I am in a little different situation than original post.  I purchased a CP-4 earlier this year.  I bought it for the piano/EP sounds and for the action (which I think are both superb on the CP4.) I also thought I could use it for a midi controller to use with a Kurzweil PC361, but I am finding it a little limiting in that regard.  (you can split the Kurz into 16 independent zones, but only 4 on the CP4, so it doesn’t work that well if you have setups with multiple zones)

I am finding I am missing decent organs, and a library of synth sounds.  It would be good to get these all in one board. 

I am considering trading the CP-4 back to the local retailer I purchased it from.  I’ll lose $500-600 on the transaction, but thats OK. 

I have played the MOXF8, but I cannot find a S90 XS locally.  It seems like there are a ton of new features in the MOXF8 which should make this a no-brainer, but one thing I cant get past is the way the keybed feels.  (a little cheap and plastic feeling).  I suppose that is the trade off to get it down to 32lbs.

The reasons I would still consider a S90 XS would be:
1) Aftertouch
2) Slider controls (I prefer sliders to knobs, I realize there are only 4 though!)
3) I imagine the action on the balanced hammer keybed of the S90 would be better than the MOFX’s lighter keybed.
4) at 50 lbs, while on the heavy side, this is not a deal breaker for me.

I guess my questions boil down to:

1) Why would anybody choose a S90 vs. the MOXF, considering the MOXF seems far more feature rich and the S90 is at a higher pricepoint?
2) What’s the roadmap for the S90?  i.e. would I be buying into old technology that’s going EOL soon
3) Yamaha states the sound generators of the Motif and MOXF are the same, yet when you play the two side by side, in my opinion the Motif is far better sounding.  Are there other internal components specific to the Motif that would contribute to this difference in tone? 

Sorry this thread got a little wordy...thanks for any and all opinions you wish to share!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 20, 2014 @ 01:36 AM
mm6
Total Posts:  182
Joined  11-16-2008

MOXF is based on latest XF while S90XS is XS with an S6 sound.  In terms of sound, you have more quality and variety with the MOXF. But dont forget S90XS is a premium, almost top of the line board, next to the Motif.  With this, you get the best quality in key action.

Some claim that there is a lowering of quality with Motif sounds are brought over to the MOX and MOXF.  But that is really subjective and no firm conclusions for everyone.

So it depends on what you need, what you think is important and what price you are prepared to pay.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 21, 2016 @ 05:32 AM
Andrewjeffrey
Total Posts:  1
Joined  01-21-2016

I believe that the Cost of the S90XS is higher than the MOXF8 ($1700 vs $2300) is because the MOXF does not have aftertouch, while the S90 has.  Installing Aftertouch in a keyboard is a very expensive exercise, and hence you wouldn’t find that in lower priced instruments.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ S90 and external midi question
Next Topic:

Just In Case ››