mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "New MX 61 owner wants to use Reaper"

Posted on: April 20, 2014 @ 10:22 AM
KeithC
Total Posts:  35
Joined  04-20-2014

Hello, glad to have finally made my purchase of the MX61, and to have found this forum. Being an old analog guy, I’m sure I’ll ask many questions, but the main question I have now, is: Can the MX be configured to Contol Reaper the way it does Cubase, utilizing all the DAW control functions. I’m not technically up on midi code, and really a bit technically challenged, but I’m a quick study. I will however need a bit of basic tutoring to undetstand a lot of the terminology. OKAY, I’m a guitarist, there, I said it. I will be using the MX strictly for a home studio, and not performance, and definitely want some great b3, Rhodes, Grand, and Farfisa sounds, as I’m a Classic Prog band fanatic, ei Pink Floyd, King Crimson, ELP, etc.
Sorry my first post is so long, but I wanted to acknowledge my lack of knowledge right out of the gate. Any, and all help greatly appreciated!
Cheers, Keith

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 20, 2014 @ 12:06 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

We moved your post from the Lounge to the dedicated MX Forum since this seems appropriate as you question is concerning the functions of the MX61.

The MX comes with templates for CUBASE, SONAR, LOGIC PRO, DIGITAL PERFORMER
There is no specific template for Reaper, sorry. That is not to say some functions may work. If you are not MIDI savvy, this will not prevent you from using whatever DAW you wish to use. Just don’t worry about the things you might be missing.

Learn to use your DAW from its own graphic user interface, and learn how to set the MX as your MIDI controller/tone generator. The basics of setup are very much the same for all the different DAWs, having the tight integration of one that has a specific template will not necessarily be possible, but that does not mean you can’t use whatever DAW you’d like.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 20, 2014 @ 12:32 PM
KeithC
Joined  04-20-2014

Hi Bad_ Mister, sorry for posting in the wrong area. I do have another question while I have your attention.

I just purchased my MX yesterday, after months of reading, and playing around with it, and noticed in several places that it was being shipped with Cubase AI7 now, and the only date stamp on the box says April/8/2014. Should it have sbipped with 7, and if so, can I update it when I register my software? And lastly, if I cannot get all the control over Reaper with tbe DAW remote function, will I still be able to use the YC3b, and Prologue voices, as plug ins if thats the correct term, in Reaper? I may find that Cubase does everything I want, and stick with it
only time, and experience will tell.
Best Regards, and thank you, Keith

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 20, 2014 @ 05:04 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

I just purchased my MX yesterday, after months of reading, and playing around with it, and noticed in several places that it was being shipped with Cubase AI7 now, and the only date stamp on the box says April/8/2014. Should it have sbipped with 7…

No Yamaha products ship with Cubase 7, perhaps you meant AI7.

Either a DVD-ROM containing the version of AI that was current at the time the product left the factory or a code to activate AI was in the box, (AI7, which is fairly new, is made available as a download).. This of course, depends on where in the world you are, I can only speak for the USA (that’s how it is here). Your mileage may differ depending on where you are, and when your product left the factory.

The Prologue analog synth and the YC-3B organ model are VST3 compatible software, check with whatever DAW you are going to use, if they are VST3 compatible you should be able to run them. If not, then no.

By installing and registering your copy of AI, you are eligible to purchase (at a discount) the full version of Cubase, now at 7.5.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 21, 2014 @ 07:48 AM
KeithC
Joined  04-20-2014

I’m sorry if I didn’t make it clear, I did however ask if it shipped now with AI7, as mine has AI6, and I think you answered the question, that the upgrade is available as a download. I’m surprised there isn’t more you can tell me about Reaper compatibility, From what I read, I assumed that while it is above my current abilites, that eventually I could make my own template. Reaper is a very popular, and well built DAW, so I’d be very surprised if they didn’t take all major protocols into consideration, and would be super disappointed if I can’t get the YC3b to work. If you are not familiar with Reaper, maybe in the future, if you aren’t slammed 24/7/365, you could take a look. I know that Yamaha really wants to sell more Steinberg software, and I may love AI enough to get the full version, but I’m pretty stuck on Reaper. I hope that clears up the AI6, AI7 issue, I am fully aware it’s a scaled back version to learn the DAWs basic characteristic from, so I guess we’ll see. If you can add anything that will guide me through this issue, I would be EXTREMELY grateful. Aso, I’m in Virginia, same country, same time zone!  ;)

Best Regards, Keith

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 21, 2014 @ 10:54 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

No, perhaps I was not clear… There is no “upgrade path” from one AI version to the next, sorry, not at all.
The upgrade is from AI (which is provided FREE to the original purchaser) to a commercially available version like Cubase 7.5 or Cubase Artist 7.5

There is no path from AI to AI, that is NOT available. Try to understand the reason for including the AI version, you get whichever AI version that was available at the time your MX leaves the factory. When series 7 became available, AI6 was replaced, so that units leaving the factory after that point ship with an authorization code and instructions how to download AI7. Downloads reduce the overall cost by eliminating the DVD.... You might buy an MX today and it might have a DVD with AI6 in the box. It depends on which version was current at the time it was leaving the factory

If you received AI6 there is no method for you to receive AI7. For what Yamaha and Steinberg want you to see there is no fundamental difference. You will be able to see the Yamaha Steinberg integration features in either version. Which one you get is totally based on when your MX was boxed, period. Both allow you to insert and use an XML file that lists all your Preset Voices, both will respond to the Remote DAW Control functions, etc., etc., etc. No free version to free version upgrades (sic) exist. Upgrade involves you, purchasing (with actual money) a full commercial version. Period. Hope that is clear!!!

If you visit the Steinberg site you will see that upgrades are between lesser versions and commercially available (means FOR SALE) versions. There is no benefit whatsoever to provide AI6 users with AI7… That is not an “upgrade”. Sorry, if you are totally not understanding this.

But the idea is to whet the appetite of the MX purchaser to PURCHASE a full featured version of Cubase. The full versions do so much more. Hope that helps. Downloading AI7 without an activation code does nothing - you will not be able to use it, at all. Sorry.

And you are correct at Yamaha we want you to consider Cubase (the best selling of all DAW softwares), Steinberg are innovators in this area developing not only the whole VST protocol but also the entire ASIO (Audio Streaming Input/Output) protocol so widely in use on planet Earth!

Thanks, I stick with Cubase. The templates offered are for those platforms that can be controlled directly and have offered a method to be controlled that makes musical sense. Maybe one day your favorite program will reach the top end in popularity. Does it allow VST and ASIO protocol, then you can use it, but as to tight integration, currently that is offered for Cubase, Logic Pro, Sonar, and Digital Performer, only.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 21, 2014 @ 04:57 PM
KeithC
Joined  04-20-2014

Yes, you have made it crystal clear that Yamaha doesn’t want me to use what I feel comfortable with, so that I’ll spend $4-600.00 on a DAW that does no more than the one I’d prefer using. Of course the salespeople at Sam Ash assured me that it would work with any DAW I wanted. However, I have one last question for you. I track to an MTR, which I can do from the stereo pair. If I load AI6, YC3b, and Prolougue, will those go to Cubase AI6 via USB, and back to the MX and output through the stereo pair so I can track them on my MTR? If that’s the case, I’m a happy camper. And I think I asked the question appropriately the first post, but your answer sounded like I expected to download the full version that I’m fully aware costs money. I’ve spent well over $20,000.00 on my guitar gear alone, I just wanted the most current “teaser” since I bought it two days ago. So, if you could answer tbe simple question about tracking the VSTs included through AI6, into my MTR, I should be okay on my own from there.
Thank you for your patience, KeithC 35 years of analog knowledge, lost in a sea of 1’s, and 0’s.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 21, 2014 @ 07:50 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

If you want to use your MX to control Reaper set the MX up for Cubase and then in Reaper select Mackie Universal as the control surface.  You’ll then need to experiment a bit to see what works, but the transport, volume and pan control should map OK.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 22, 2014 @ 08:03 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Wow!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 22, 2014 @ 08:54 AM
KeithC
Joined  04-20-2014

Wow as in my last post in reply to your post thinking I’m so stupid that I thought I could upgrade to the full version for free? I think you misunderstood my questions, I know you can’t apend time sorting out semantic differences all day, but I feel it put us off on the wrong foot.  Or, perhaps the Wow was for the post about using Mackie Universal for control of Reaper. Wow is a little vague, could you expand, or maybe answer the questions in my reply to your very adamant assertion that I have use real money? I certainly realized that before our first correspondence, as I too am a pretty intelligent being on “this PLANET”. I’m not trying to be a jerk, but feel a bit patronized, misunderstood, and as if I’ve been spoken to like a child. I am simply learning something new, and I learn best, and quickest through Q and A, and mean no disrespect, but I’m not used to being talked down to.
Thank you, Keith

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 07, 2014 @ 07:30 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Installation
Activation
Registration

Before you can launch your new Steinberg software, you have to use the Activation Code(s) to activate your Soft-eLicenser online. Proceed as follows

Install your product.
Make sure that your computer has a working Internet connection. This connection is necessary to activate the license because the eLicenser Control Center (eLCC) needs to register with our license server.

Make sure that you have the latest version of the eLCC installed.

Keep your Activation Code(s) ready.
Once your software is installed correctly, launch the eLicenser Control Center software found under Start menu / Programs / eLicenser on a Windows PC or in the Applications folder of Mac OS X. Click the “Enter Activation Code” button to download the license for your Steinberg product to the Soft-eLicenser. To do this, enter the required activation code into the corresponding field. Follow the instructions on screen.

After the activation procedure the new license is displayed in the eLicensers list and your product is ready for use. To activate other licenses, simply repeat the steps listed above.

Please note:
If you own a USB-eLicenser (Steinberg Key/dongle) licenses for Soft-eLicenser products can also be activated on or transferred to a USB-eLicenser. Using this option allows you to work with the Soft-eLicenser based product on a system without an Internet connection.

Simply install the eLCC separately on the Internet computer without installing the complete product. To do this, download the latest installer for Mac and PC.

Now, just connect the USB-eLicenser to the computer and start the eLCC. Enter the Activation Code and choose the USB-eLicenser as the target device.

WHAT DOES ACTIVATION MEAN?
Activating a Steinberg product means entering the Activation Code in the eLicenser Control Center (eLCC) to obtain a license* which is then stored on an eLicenser.

WHAT IS AN ELICENSER?
The eLicenser stores licenses for Steinberg products. Without a valid license, a Steinberg software product cannot be used. There are two types of eLicensers:

The small hardware device called USB-eLicenser (formerly known as Steinberg Key, also referred to as dongle) is used for the current versions of most of our boxed retail software products.*

Its software equivalent, the Soft-eLicenser, is used for the current versions of Cubase LE, Cubase AI and WaveLab LE, each Sequel Content Set and for the boxed retail software products Sequel and WaveLab Elements.
Many other software companies besides Steinberg employ the eLicenser technology and all of these licenses can be stored on the same eLicenser.

WHERE DO I GET MY ACTIVATION CODE?
Most of our boxed products have the Activation Code printed on the Essential Product License Information sheet inside the product’s box.
In case you purchased a download product from the Steinberg Online Shop, you have received the Activation Code with your order confirmation via email.

A few Steinberg products (Cubase AI, Cubase LE and WaveLab LE) have a time-limited license which is generated during the installation process, in which case you may request an Activation Code for a permanent license via our online registration system MySteinberg.

Registration
The final and very important step is to create a MySteinberg Account, if you do not already have one.

Please register your products in order to have access to comprehensive technical support and other exclusive benefits. The registration is made using MySteinberg.
https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/steinberg_support_products.html

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ FC5 pedal to Start and Stop Songs on MX
Next Topic:

user voices. ››