mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Copy Arp Job - Where do I find it?"

Posted on: April 18, 2014 @ 03:10 PM
muscarella
Total Posts:  542
Joined  11-01-2003

I created a 4 measure drum part in Song mode. Used Job: Copy to Arp Assigned it to DrPrc, Sub Cat: Rock.

Now I go back to my Performance and where exactly do I look to call up that new Arp and use it?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 18, 2014 @ 04:45 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

You created a User Arp. You can look for it just as you would a PREset Arp, but in the USR Bank.

It might be easier to find if you named your Arp, and/or if you know what number it is.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 18, 2014 @ 05:09 PM
muscarella
Joined  11-01-2003

It didn’t seem to offer me a way to name it during the Job and there was no number assigned. But maybe I missed something cause I’m in a hurry. Thanks for the quick reply. My fault for waiting till last minute to try to do something for gig tonight.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 18, 2014 @ 05:16 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

See Bad_Mister‘s posts in this thread:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/460981/

If you’re using a Windows computer, the MOX application (moX-TEXT) I just posted…
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/472111/
...can list User Arps that are in saved X4A or X4G files.

EDIT:
To help me work on the app, philwoodmusic and jazz.preest provided some test files, including X4G ones. The app produced the following - you can see the User Arps had been numbered and named.
-----------
ARPSALL.X4G as of 17:26:54 on Apr 18, 2014

MOX file type ARPEGGIO

User Arpeggios:
001 PHIL1
002 PHIL2
003 PHIL3
------------
MOXARP02.X4G as of 17:29:54 on Apr 18, 2014

MOX file type ARPEGGIO

User Arpeggios:
001 USERARP1
002 USERARP2
003 USERARP3
------------

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 18, 2014 @ 05:56 PM
muscarella
Joined  11-01-2003

Figured it out, thanks. Named it, numbered it. Found it in the User bank. Easy. Gonna be doing a lot more of this in future. Some songs I’m just unable to find a reasonable Preset beat for, despite the 1000s onboard and I’m not talking about anything fancy or busy or contrapuntal, whatever. Wonder sometimes if it’s just difference in Swing or something that needs to be programmed in PlayFx. But that section, frankly, scares me. For one thing it, it appears that whatever you set in PlayFx effects EVERY Arp globally within the Performance. Or am I mistaken?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 18, 2014 @ 06:55 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

You are mistaken… It is set on a per PART basis. Don’t let it scare you, I think if you are forming opinions about what you like and don’t like, it would be simply wrong to shy away from this very powerful area of your Music Production Synth. In particular, the PLAY FX is an area that much time and effort was placed to make it a very useful tool. And well worth the effort of exploring.

The ARP PLAY FX, as implemented on the MOX, can be applied per PART. It applies to the PART in all ARPS 1-6, but if you want to double-time the Drums, versus the rest of the backing, you would set UNIT MULTIPLY for the Drum PART = 50%. If you just want to half-time the Bass, you would select the Bass PART and use the ARP PLAY FX to UNIT MULTIPLY the Bass PART ARP = 200%.

Say you also want to make the Bass notes short, adjust the “GATE TIME RATE” - this values below 100% will shorten the length of the bass notes. If it is a Slap Bass or any arp assigned to a sound that uses Velocity switching, using the “VELOCITY RATE” parameter to effect the way the sound articulates.

The ARP PLAY FX - not using them greatly limits your toolkit. Here’s the best I can tell you about using the ARPS. I find in talking to lots of people that they either approach it looking for something specific or they approach it for some sort of inspiration.

Those looking for “something specific”, you can tell almost immediately because they are demanding things like a better way to search through them. You can hear the frustration in their Voice about not being able to find what they need exactly. I tend to steer these people toward making their own. (Not sure why they are afraid to do that, initially - it is available as apart of the on-board sequencer. I mean, if you know what you want - record it!). Arpeggios are simply a way to access musical phrases in a real time format, for these folks.

Those approaching it from the “looking for inspiration” side of it, you can tell because their frustration is still about finding something, but they are usually overwhelmed with the amount of data they have to search through. Here I try to steer them toward customizing what is already on offer. Here the fact that the arps are designed to be recorded to the sequencer comes into play.

In both cases, there is much more to adjusting what an arpeggio phase is doing than you can possibly see at first glance (and you can do the adjusting in real time). Most musicians, and you can read it again, and again and again here on the forum - they see the arpeggios as some sort of “auto accompaniment” tool. And they approach it that way because it is some how “familiar”. This is why most of the ARPS are set to LOOP - it is familiar and it is probably the most common use.

But they do not have to be set to loop. You can setup an ARP that plays a very complex phrase or flourish, and set it so that it plays once when you trigger it. You can trigger it with any key you designate. You can trigger the arp to play and loop for as long as you like and then toggle it Off. These use cases remain like hidden “Easter eggs” - you will not discover them if you remain ‘scared’.
:-)

There are so many different ways to approach using this tool and so many ways you can adjust the arps for your purposes, including making your own. The PLAY FX allow you to change the timing, the swing, the gate and velocity, even have the arp play in the original octave and then repeat an octave above or and octave below on the next pass… etc., etc.

If you change the drum PART from straight 16ths to an eight note triplet - it will apply to the drums through out, but you can do this independently for each PART, as you desire.

Don’t be scared, explore, experiment… you may find inspiration you may find some thing closer to what you were looking for.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 19, 2014 @ 12:06 PM
muscarella
Joined  11-01-2003

Thanks, Bad Mister.  I will explore further.

[ Ignore ]