mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "XP will not accept Voice Editor drivers (Never happened before!)"

Posted on: March 21, 2014 @ 08:20 AM
torsogong
Total Posts:  37
Joined  08-25-2005

O.K. Here’s a weird one! I’m still working with my trusty Motif 6 Classic. I bought it when it first came out and have never updated the OS. Recently, for an unrelated problem, I had to take my computer tower into the shop to be worked on. When I got it back, I connected all my cables into my computer again, including the USB from my Yamaha. Yesterday, I went to use my Voice Editor to import some sounds from one voice bank to another I’m using now. I dragged and dropped the selected voices into the chosen voice bank with no problem. But when I went to bulk transmit the user voices, the Voice Editor progress bar showed that it was transmitting, but my synth did not receive the bank. I made sure to check my Utility MIDI was set at “USB”, and it was.
So I clicked on the little Voice Editor’s “MIDI Setup” button at the top of my screen. In the “Device” In left pane it was blank. In the “Device” Out right pane, there were two selections – “Creative Sound Font Synth” and “ MIcrosoft GS Wavetable SW Synth”. In the lower “Thru” box , it gave those two same options and “NONE”. I seem to remember when I installed the Voice Editor previously, I had a device in and out number set to “1” to match the MIDI channel device number in my Yamaha synth.
My computer is an XP OS. I uninstalled the Voice Editor program including the driver (that said is enabled, but isn’t functioning properly). I got my Yamaha Tools disc out and went through the Voice Editor setup.exe. process. After all was said and done, I still have the problem of my computer blocking the drivers from the actual Yamaha disc from installing. I get this warning window that the drivers may cause the program to not work correctly. I click “Install anyway”, and, sure enough, the Voice Editor doesn’t work. I’ve never had this problem before. I tried to “Update Driver” and it told me there was no newer driver available.
I searched forever on the web for how to override my computer’s blocking an “incompatible” driver and found nothing. (Before this, XP was very forgiving in accepting uncertified drivers.) I also searched forever for the Motif Classic Voice Editor drivers to download in case my computer for some reason just couldn’t find an update. I found none.
Have you come across a problem like this? I know my synth is old, so I’m not expecting you to remember much about all of this. I’m just desperate. I also realize this may be more of a computer problem than my Voice Editor software problem. Thanks a bunch for any help!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 21, 2014 @ 11:27 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Asking your computer to search for a driver is really only for printers or other ubiquitous items. You’ll need to go to the official Yamaha download page and read through the items to find the proper driver for your turn of the century computer :-)

http://download.yamaha.com

Search for Motif 6
You’ll be looking for the USB-MIDI driver best suited for your computer; v3.1.3 it comes in 32-bit or 64-bit downloads. It includes installation instruction.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 21, 2014 @ 04:14 PM
torsogong
Total Posts:  37
Joined  08-25-2005

Thank you so much for the ULTRA quick response! I followed your directions, installed the updated drivers, and now my Voice Editor works!!!!! You’re a wonderful genius.
I still keep my XP around, because it came with all kinds of software that would cost about 3 thousand dollars to replace for my Windows 7 computer.
Again, it was a breeze! THANKS! :)

[ Ignore ]