mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Vintage keys voices for S90XS"

Posted on: February 23, 2014 @ 12:41 AM
PAC72
Total Posts:  2
Joined  02-22-2014

I have just changed over my S90ES (sold it to my church) for a S90XS. I used the S90ES a lot for gigging and had purchased the Vintage Keys voice pack to use with it. There were some fantastic voices on it. One of my favourite voices was the ‘VintgWurly’. I transferred the User bank across to the ES trustung (as I’d seen on another post on this forum) that the XS would choose a similar wave form for most of the voices. When I transferred my working (gig) User bank across the results were mostly good but a few annoying glitches.

So… firstly, the biggest disappointment was the VintgWurly mentioned above. It has transferred to the XS quite lifeless, which is very disappointing. I have tried my best to work with the different effects and parameters available but just can’t get it to sound as good as the original. So two questions related to this are: What else can I try to keep the original settings on the Wurly or what else can I do with the voice editing? Secondly, I noticed in the review of the S90XS in Keyboard magazine a few years ago that the reviewer transferred most of his working gigging voices from his Motif across to the S90XS with hardly a glitch (he says). Am I more likely to have success in getting the Vintage Keys voices to stay like the original if I purchase the Motif XS version of the voice library and transfer it to the S90XS?

I really love the Vintage Keys voice library and would love for Keyfax (if you’re listening) to do a dedicated S90XS version of the library. Pretty please??

And a follow-on question. How likely are the rest of the Motif XS voice library packs to work on the S90XS?

Thanks for your help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 26, 2014 @ 04:23 PM
MrMotif
Total Posts:  1122
Joined  10-02-2002

Hello there,

We try to listen, yes!

Your question is really one best addressed by Dave Polich, the creator of the library and we’ll try to get an answer for you. These things can simply be a matter of programmers not having access to each new model as it comes out but I’m puzzled as to why a voice should be so drastically impaired on the S90XS.

MM

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 26, 2014 @ 05:54 PM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002
PAC72 - 23 February 2014 12:41 AM

I have just changed over my S90ES (sold it to my church) for a S90XS. I used the S90ES a lot for gigging and had purchased the Vintage Keys voice pack to use with it. There were some fantastic voices on it. One of my favourite voices was the ‘VintgWurly’. I transferred the User bank across to the ES trustung (as I’d seen on another post on this forum) that the XS would choose a similar wave form for most of the voices. When I transferred my working (gig) User bank across the results were mostly good but a few annoying glitches.

So… firstly, the biggest disappointment was the VintgWurly mentioned above. It has transferred to the XS quite lifeless, which is very disappointing. I have tried my best to work with the different effects and parameters available but just can’t get it to sound as good as the original. So two questions related to this are: What else can I try to keep the original settings on the Wurly or what else can I do with the voice editing? Secondly, I noticed in the review of the S90XS in Keyboard magazine a few years ago that the reviewer transferred most of his working gigging voices from his Motif across to the S90XS with hardly a glitch (he says). Am I more likely to have success in getting the Vintage Keys voices to stay like the original if I purchase the Motif XS version of the voice library and transfer it to the S90XS?

I really love the Vintage Keys voice library and would love for Keyfax (if you’re listening) to do a dedicated S90XS version of the library. Pretty please??

And a follow-on question. How likely are the rest of the Motif XS voice library packs to work on the S90XS?

Thanks for your help.

Well, first of all, you really should have the XS version of Vintage Keys. It’s completely
reworked from the ES version.

The ES version of Vintage Keys would undoubtedly sound somewhat different, because
many of the ES waveforms aren’t even in the XS (or S90XS). The Wurli waveforms in the
XS were definitely different from the ES waveforms.

So the answer is two-fold - buy the XS version of Vintage Keys, and forget about
ever getting the Wurlitzer voices to sound like the ES version - they never will. Frankly,
I thought the ES sounded inferior to the XS, by far. Not even in the same ballpark.
But some people get used to a sound and like it, and then are disappointed because
they can’t replicate that.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 27, 2014 @ 07:25 PM
PAC72
Total Posts:  2
Joined  02-22-2014

Thanks Mr Motif and Dave for your follow up to my question. I really appreciate your time.

Dave - I’m glad to know it wasn’t just me then when I heard the Wurly in the S90XS. I had high expectations that it would sound at least as good as in the S90ES. Thanks for the explanation. I really love all the programming that you (and others?) have done to put together the ‘Vintage Keys’ library - it had some of my favourite voices (for gigs) when I used it on the S90ES. The Wurly problem was one example of half a dozen voices that don’t sound quite right on the S90XS. Now I know why.

I would have gone straight to the XS version of the ‘Vintage Keys’ voice library but in the store connected to this website there was no dedicated ‘Vintage Keys’ library available in the S90XS shop. Are you saying then that I can buy and load in the Motif XS ‘Vintage Keys’ voice library and have it work just fine or am I missing the one that is available exclusively for the S90XS somewhere?

If this will work for this voice library will it also work for all others that are available for the Motif XS? Can I load up ANY Motif XS library into the S90XS? How do I know which ones are likely to work? I am aware that the Motif libraries might include (?) completely new sample waveforms that then won’t be loadable on the S90 series. Will MOST of them work though, and the S90 will find a similar waveform to match if it can’t load the included one?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 27, 2014 @ 08:36 PM
stoneb3
Total Posts:  851
Joined  06-05-2011

You can load XS files into your S90XS. The file types compatible are listed in the S90XS reference manual, page 127. I’d stay off libraries with samples. If you’re not sure if a library contains samples, check with the vendor. Some libraries offer alternative programming such as Air for Motif.

I was in your position going from the Motif ES to XS and I bought the XS version and gladly so. There is content in the XS version not found in the ES. I did load the ES version into the XS for comparison and it wasn’t good, as can be expected. I think it’s hard to compare the two, as they are different machines. Dave may have been a little harsh on the ES version, mark me down as one who prefers a few of the ES voices over the XS. Personal taste I reckon.

Stone

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Just In Case
Next Topic:

ANY way to have mute buttons preset? ››