mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Record with FW16E to LPX questions"

Posted on: February 13, 2014 @ 08:17 PM
jerrydpi
Total Posts:  973
Joined  11-03-2012

I want to jump into the fire slowly, so be patient with me on this one :)

I want to take a Performance on the XF, for this example, hell, say USR1 E03 Alternative Pop, and Record all (4) Parts/Voices directly to LPX from my FW16E.

I know how to go to Preferences on LPX, go to Audio and assign the Output and Input Devices to Yamaha Steinberg FW.

I know how to go to Utility on the XF and assign it to Logic.

I know how to go to a Channel Strip on LPX, make it a Stereo Track and assign the input to whatever Input (1&2;/3&4;/5&6;.....) I choose.

My questions are:
1) What FW Channel/how do I setup the first Voice (Drums) to output to LPX on the appropriate FW Input Channel?
2) Same question on the second, third and fourth Voice.
3) Do I have to sync the XF and LPX to accomplish the above basic request?

Thanks!

Jerry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 14, 2014 @ 01:06 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

1) What FW Channel/how do I setup the first Voice (Drums) to output to LPX on the appropriate FW Input Channel?

You select the FW ports in the Motif XF. This is a very important thing to understand: you must follow the signal flow. The Drums are PART 1 in your Performance. First let’s see where the Drums are being routed to the main L/R outputs.
Press [EDIT]
Press [1] to select PART 1 parameters
Press [F1] VOICE
Press [SF2] OUTPUT
Highlight the OUTPUT SELECT parameter
Press [SF6] LIST ... to view a list of possible output bus assignments

Notice that you are hearing the Drums. You are probably see reaction to audio signal in your DAW, as well.

This is because they are assigned to the main L/R outputs. Initially, all four PARTS are assigned to the main L/R outputs.

Change it to “asL/R”. The drums should go silent. Reason: you have removed them from the main outputs (taking them out of the main mix) the drums are now re routed to the assignable out jacks on the rear panel of the XF. Look at the list you will see “FW1/2”. Change it to “FW1/2”

If you assign the Drums to Motif XF FW Outputs 1 and 2, that signal is now being routed to your DAW on the first pair of the assignable FW buses.

In Logic create an INPUT and set it to receive this signal.
You are already receiving signal coming from the XF in Logic ... The main L/R
Create or select another Stereo Input and set it to receive the next ports coming from the XF.

Careful: Logic may not call the XF ports the same as the Motif does.

Same answer for each Part.

3) Do I have to sync the XF and LPX to accomplish the above basic request?

I would. It simply affords you more options later, and there is no reason not to.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 14, 2014 @ 02:15 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

You’re right about the Logic might not call the XF ports the same as the Motif does.

The way I got the drums (part 1) to record was by having the output on the XF as FW1&2;and the input on LPX set to In3&4;.

Same thing on the bass (part 2). The XF output was set to FW3&4;and the input on LPX was set to In5&6;.

Same thing on the next two voices/parts. I had to set the input on LPX to the next set of higher numbers.

I’m still having the same feedback/chiming problem I had with MOXF. As soon as I hit Record on LPX I get feedback for about two measures. As soon as it dies away I start playing on the XF and the feedback doesn’t occur again until I hit Stop on LPX.

I’ve made some notes of the various settings on the XF as well as on LPX.

On the XF:
1) The FW Monitor Setup is “Stand alone”
2) The DAW Type Control is set to “Logic”.
3) Under MIDI the Interface MIDI In/Out is set to “FW”, the MIDI Sync is set to “Internal”, the Clock Out is “on” and the Sequencer Control is set to “in/out”.

On LPX, under Preferences:
1) Under Devices, Output and Input is “Yamaha Steinberg FW”.
2) Under Control Surface. > Setup, “Logic Control” is highlighted (there are two other choices: Logic Remote and Mackie Control.

Any ideas about the feedback problem?

Thanks,

Jerry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 14, 2014 @ 02:25 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

I’m still having the same feedback/chiming problem I had with MOXF. As soon as I hit Record on LPX I get feedback for about two measures. As soon as it dies away I start playing on the XF and the feedback doesn’t occur again until I hit Stop on LPX.

That feedback is due to you not having your routing setup properly. Feedback is the same thing as what happens with a guitar or a microphone and the speaker that is outputting their sound.

Signal travels in a loop - with a guitar or mic the signal picked up by the guitar pickups or the mic comes out of the speaker and goes back into the pickup or mic and the circle begins.

Your loop is signal you’re sending into Logic to be recorded is somehow routed so that it goes around in a loop. Sorry, I could tell you what to hit in Cubase. What you need to look up in your Logic manual is your Monitoring options.

Nothing you’ve mentioned has anything to do with Monitoring. You have to understand how the signal glows into your DAW and what options it let’s you select for monitoring (listening) to signal bring recorded.  You are obviously routing something in a serious loop, sorry but we can’t see what you’re doing and what you are trying to do at the moment your feedback occurs. But it does indicate a serious problem.

The feedback is an indication you have a problem! Do not ignore it! Fix it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 14, 2014 @ 02:32 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

I went to another Performance and I have noted that the Feedback happens only during the pre-recording phase (Bar O, Beat 1-2-3-4) and then stops as soon as it gets to Bar 1, Beat 1).

That being said, it feedbacks briefly as soon as I hit “Stop”.

If it’s a Monitoring problem with Logic, why does it only happen in the manner described above?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 14, 2014 @ 02:36 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

How could I possibly know?
What do you have plugged into the Motif XF’s A/D Input jack?

If it’s a Monitoring problem with Logic, why does it only happen in the manner described above?

Because as soon as the track goes into record the record monitor setting you have selected in Logic takes over, and when you stop, you’re back to monitoring in a feedback situation. That’s why!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 14, 2014 @ 02:43 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012
Bad_Mister - 14 February 2014 02:36 PM

How could I possibly know?

Because you’re THE MAN!!!!!!!! :)

I have nothing plugged into the XF.

I have tried muting each part to try to isolate the feedback and have found:
1) With the drums being the only un-muted part there is no feedback.
2) With the bass being the only un-muted part there is a faint amount of the feedback sound.
3) With the first guitar (part 3) being the only un-muted part there is more feedback.
4) With the second guitar (part 4) being the only un-muted part there is the most amount of feedback.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 14, 2014 @ 02:50 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

PS

I put my MBP to sleep and when I turned it back on I got this Message on LPX:

Device “Logic Control” is assigned to MIDI Port “Port2” which is not present

Please ensure that all MIDI interfaces are connected and switched on. If this is the case, please check the MIDI port setting of device “Logic Control”. If this is correct, click “Reset All MIDI Drivers” in Preferences > MIDI > General.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 14, 2014 @ 04:02 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

I found this in the XF Reference Manual:

with PC (DirectMonitor)
This should be selected when recording your keyboard performance to
the DAW software on the computer. The audio signal of the MOTIF XF
will be output directly via the OUTPUT L/MONO and R jacks with the
audio signal sent from the DAW software via an IEEE1394 cable. Keep
in mind that the Rec Monitor of the DAW software should be set to “off”
in order to prevent “double” sound from occurring

Is this the loop you’re referring to?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 14, 2014 @ 07:00 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

That was the answer!

When I changed the FW Monitor Setup to “with PC (DirectMonitor)” the feedback disappeared.

Thanks!

Jerry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 14, 2014 @ 09:22 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

Hi guys!

I finally was able to record a Performance to my DAW by using the FW16E.

My first questions were:
1) How do I setup the first Voice (Drums) to output to LPX on the appropriate FW Input Channel?

I now know ho to do the above.

Let’s go to the next level now.

1) On the XF, how do I setup the first Voice (Drums) ARP to output to LPX where I want to use Addictive Drums instead of the Yamaha Drum Voice?
2) Same question on the second Voice (Bass Guitar) ARP to output to LPX where I want to uses Trilian Bass instead of the Yamaha Bass Guitar Voice?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 14, 2014 @ 10:27 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

1) On the XF, how do I setup the first Voice (Drums) ARP to output to LPX where I want to use Addictive Drums instead of the Yamaha Drum Voice?

Addictive Drums are not “on the XF”, your question does not make sense.

2) Same question on the second Voice (Bass Guitar) ARP to output to LPX where I want to uses Trilian Bass instead of the Yamaha Bass Guitar Voice?

Again, what are you asking… How to route Trilian Bass so you can record it. It does not come out of the XF.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 15, 2014 @ 12:15 AM
hobbit
Total Posts:  65
Joined  06-18-2008

This is not about AUDIO routing anymore, but about sending the ARP playback MIDI data to Logic: Check page 115 of the Reference Manual (parameter no 16). In Logic you need a software instrument track with the plugin you want to be triggered by the incoming MIDI data.

Regards, Hobbit

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 15, 2014 @ 08:26 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Exactly, the poster from the Shire is correct! I wanted jerrydpi to say the word, “MIDI”
:-)

He tries to avoid it, thinking it will go away or take care of itself with Audio settings! It’s okay… I think as soon as he completes this next step, it will all make sense.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 15, 2014 @ 08:01 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012
Bad_Mister - 15 February 2014 08:26 AM

Exactly, the poster from the Shire is correct! I wanted jerrydpi to say the word, “MIDI”

MIDI MIDI MIDI MIDI MIDI MIDI MIDI MIDI MIDI MIDI MIDI MIDI MIDI

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Thanks!

Jerry

PS

“MIDI”

[ Ignore ]