mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "S90 as a controller"

Posted on: January 31, 2014 @ 04:24 PM
jpiedrasanta
Total Posts:  16
Joined  12-05-2006

So i have a motif xs8.. I use it as a controller with an axiom 61 through pattern mode. How can i control an s90 if possible? The steps to do so?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 01, 2014 @ 12:25 AM
S70xs_user
Total Posts:  60
Joined  09-02-2012

I think you might need to expand on what you are trying to do. The Axiom 61 is a USB midi controller keyboard. Why would you use something else (ie the Motif) to control that? Am I missing something here?

Then it will be better understood how you are trying to control the S90 so someone can assist.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 01, 2014 @ 08:57 AM
jpiedrasanta
Joined  12-05-2006

Yeah i dont think i explained myself correctly. I want to connect an axiom 61 to an s90 and i want to have two different sounds on each keyboard.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 01, 2014 @ 11:57 AM
S70xs_user
Joined  09-02-2012

As it happens, I have an Axiom 61 Pro (not the Axiom 61), but they have much in common.

Here are a few things you need to know as background:

The Axiom itself does not have an audio engine. That is, it does not produce any sounds of itself, it sends midi data (eg note, velocity, channel data, etc) to a connected computer or other instrument and the latter may then produce sounds depending on the setup.

The USB-port on the Axiom is for connection to a computer , not an instrument, when being used as a production/DAW controller. In this mode, the Axiom gets power from the USB connection. If you are using it “standalone” (eg connected to an instrument only) you need EITHER the optional power supply unit, OR you can plug a USB cable between the Axiom and a USB Charger (such as an Apple iPad charger).

To connect directly to another instrument (eg your S90) use a traditional midi cable from the midi-out of the Axiom to the midi-in on the S90.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(The following notes are based on the S70XS .)

The Axiom can be set up with up to 4 active zones, with individual channels and key ranges (see User Manual).

To me, this offers no advantage though in a “live” situation, as a performance layer can have 4 parts with individual note ranges anyway - or you can use the Master setup to define upto 4 output zones/channels to control an external instrument eg the Motif).

Where the use of the controller might make sense is you might send 4 channels from the Axiom to the S90, and have the Motif connected to the S90 via its midi-through. By placing the S90 in multi mode, you could use the Axiom to play 4 programs from the S90, as well as the Motif.

BUT you could not easily change the Axiom zone configuration, so you would be stuck with that setup for most of a live performance.

So, I get back to my earlier comment.

It is not so much a question of how you can connect the instruments, but what are you trying to achieve?

Why would you not have have the a S90 control the Motif directly (or vice versa) , with increased performance flexibility?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 01, 2014 @ 05:15 PM
jpiedrasanta
Joined  12-05-2006

The motif has nothing to do with what i want to achieve. I merely mentioned that to explain my current setup… I plan to get an s90 or another synthesizer to use at my church. Then i simply hook up my axiom to it. Get what i’m saying???

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 01, 2014 @ 06:42 PM
S70xs_user
Joined  09-02-2012

Sorry, I don’t get it, forgive me.

The Axiom doesn’t produce any sounds, I just don’t understand why you would to make it part of your rig for live performance.

Maybe someone else on the forum can assist you.

Phil

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 01, 2014 @ 11:04 PM
jpiedrasanta
Joined  12-05-2006

I know the axiom doesn’t have sounds. Hence why i use a motif to generate sounds. Anywho, thx for your help or lack thereof..

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 03, 2014 @ 12:21 PM
S70xs_user
Joined  09-02-2012

Last try…

You could put the S90 in multi mode, and set say Part 1 for playing directly from the S90.

Connect the midi-out of Axiom to midi-in of S90. Parts 2-5 of the multi could be assigned to correspond to Zones 1-4 on the Axiom (using, say channels 2-5) with voices pre-assigned in the multi parts. You could use the Zone panel buttons on the Axiom to turn transmission of these individual parts on/off.

Result: play Part 1 from S90 keyboard, and any/all of Parts 2-5 from Axiom.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 03, 2014 @ 01:28 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

I want to connect an axiom 61 to an s90 and i want to have two different sounds on each keyboard

This seems to say the Axiom 61 has sounds. But it doesn’t, and you say you know it doesn’t.

Am I missing something. You both own axioms ... You both agree it makes no sounds, but it seems the original poster is not sure where the sounds are coming from.

Maybe it’s just bad translation.

The answer you received from S70xs_user will work, you should be thanking him for providing you with the correct answer. And there is no “lack thereof...”

:)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 07, 2014 @ 03:13 PM
jpiedrasanta
Joined  12-05-2006

Reply to Bad_mister.... really??? did you read the whole thread?? the tone generator would be the s90??? i’m trying to get sounds out of the s90 in to my axiom through midi?? can you read?? the only mistake i notice i did in this post is that i meant to title it “axiom as a controller”

thank you s70xs_user. that last response you gave was dead on what i needed! much appreciated!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 07, 2014 @ 03:26 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

i’m trying to get sounds out of the s90 in to my axiom through midi?? can you read??

Apparently not. When you get sound to travel through the MIDI jacks let me know!!!

[ Ignore ]