mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Voice effects are lost in performance mode"

Posted on: December 16, 2013 @ 03:24 PM
paulhoward
Total Posts:  2
Joined  12-16-2013

I have an S90ES.
In performance mode I used a voice from the User bank in which I edited the effects( hi, medhigh, low). These edits did not stay with the voice in the performance.  FYI it was the Natural S piano voice.  Help??

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 21, 2013 @ 05:08 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

In performance mode I used a voice from the User bank in which I edited the effects( hi, medhigh, low). These edits did not stay with the voice in the performance.  FYI it was the Natural S piano voice.  Help??

It sounds like, from what you wrote you did not edit the EFFECTs, you EQ’d the sound - which explains why it is lost when you move a Voice into a PERFORMANCE.

Each Voice used in a PERFORMANCE is inserted a PART - this is like plugging into a mixer. The Voice is the individual player, the PART is like a channel on the band’s mixer. The EQ you had in VOICE mode, would be meaningless here in PERFORMANCE mode because you are now going to add one, two, or three other sounds. So each PART has an EQ, and much like any mixer - each Channel starts out ‘flat’ - no EQ.

The idea is to EQ the sound for its current surroundings. So if you edited the EQ (which is the only “hi, midhigh, low” that I know) then you will need to EQ the PART EQ for the new surroundings.

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 21, 2013 @ 05:38 PM
paulhoward
Total Posts:  2
Joined  12-16-2013

Thanks.  I didn’t realize that setting EQs was not “editing”.  Appreciate your help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 22, 2013 @ 01:48 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

EQ is not “editing the effects”. I never said it was not “editing”. EQ is not apart of the VOICE at the place you were editing. There are several different EQ’s available in the instrument - had you EQ’d the ELEMENT that EQ stays with your VOICE, or had you EQ’d the Voice as with an Insertion Effect EQ which also is considered apart of the Voice, but you EQ’d the sound after the Voice but before the output. The place where you choose to EQ is not, repeat NOT apart of the VOICE parameters that get carried to PERFORMANCE mode or to a MULTI.

I tried to explain using a real world analogy - PERFORMANCE is like an individual musician traveling to rehearsal or a gig, and plugging into the mixer with three other musicians. New system, new EQ.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 29, 2014 @ 05:42 PM
pianoman35
Total Posts:  22
Joined  08-14-2009

I have a similar problem except I did edit the effects of the voice itself to where I satisfied with how it sounded.  When I use the same voice in performance mode it loses a lot of its reverb effect and even increasing it in performance mode doesn’t seem to make it any better.  Is there a step I’m missing somewhere?  Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Yamaha S90XS and midi
Next Topic:

S90ES - Multiple Arps in same performance ››