mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "USB Power"

Posted on: December 30, 2013 @ 04:26 PM
pianokid
Total Posts:  88
Joined  07-05-2008

Got my MOXF 88 a few weeks ago and am loving it. Also have an XS6. My question is...does the USB port on the MOXF supply power like a computer USB port in order to power a USB keyboard. I bought an Alesis Vortex (keytar) on Black Friday and would like to use just one cable for both power and midi? I read in the manual that you can’t use a USB 3.0 cable but couldn’t find info about power. Thanks for any help.

pk

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 30, 2013 @ 05:49 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Yes, it will power your keyboard.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 30, 2013 @ 06:29 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
pianokid - 30 December 2013 04:26 PM

[...] I bought an Alesis Vortex (keytar) on Black Friday and would like to use just one cable for both power and midi? [...]

The MOXF can supply power via USB, but it can’t act as a USB host (master).
A 5-pin-DIN cable will be required for the MIDI connection.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 30, 2013 @ 08:56 PM
pianokid
Total Posts:  88
Joined  07-05-2008

So just to be clear. I know I can use USB to transmit midi, but are you saying that I can’t use the same USB cable for both midi transmission and to power the other keyboard at the same time? Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 30, 2013 @ 09:34 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
pianokid - 30 December 2013 08:56 PM

So just to be clear. I know I can use USB to transmit midi, but are you saying that I can’t use the same USB cable for both midi transmission and to power the other keyboard at the same time? Thanks.

I believe what 5pinDIN is saying is you cannot use the USB PORT to talk MIDI to the other keyboard, you must use a 5 pin DIN MIDI cable to accomplish that.  You can, however, use the USB PORT to power the other keyboard.

That is how I read his answer anyway, I’m sure he will clarify!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 30, 2013 @ 11:06 PM
popsel2
Total Posts:  76
Joined  11-23-2013

Hi,

Yes, you can use the MOXF USB to supply power to your Keytar but not for transmitting MIDI data.
This is only availiable using the Yamaha special driver.
But you can not install this driver on your Keytar.
So you can take the MOXF USB port as a power source only
and have to connect the MIDI OUT connector of the Keytar with the MOXF MIDI IN socket.

Regards
popsel2

7472735_800.jpg

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 31, 2013 @ 12:56 AM
Dromeus
Total Posts:  64
Joined  02-09-2012

It is true that the MOXF USB Midi Connection is NOT class compliant (in fact it does much more than a class compliant interface) so you need a special driver to be installed at the USB host.

BUT this is irrelevant, because you just can’t connect the Keytar’s (or any other keyboard’s ) USB To Host terminal to the USB To Host terminal of the MOXF. This cannot work, as USB uses a master/slave architecture. The MOXF USB To Host terminal by design must be connected to a host, i.e. a PC.

BTW the MOXF also features a USB To Device terminal, but for the sole purpose to connect a USB flash memory device.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 21, 2014 @ 10:15 AM
HappyHarryNET
Total Posts:  488
Joined  12-10-2006

Don’t mean to be off topic, but the Yamaha i-MX1 works great jacked to the MOXF8 USB [DEVICE]. I like having the [HOST] to Mac CubaseAI and [DEVICE] strait into iPad.

HHNET

[ Ignore ]