mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Cubase AI compatibility with other brand DAW’s"

Posted on: January 17, 2014 @ 07:21 PM
jerrydpi
Total Posts:  973
Joined  11-03-2012

If I start using Cubase AI (as Bad_Mister and others are most familiar with), once my recorded song is completed, how do I take the song, bring it to my main studio that has LPX and integrate the song so it can be played/have tracks added on LPX?

And in reverse, one the tracks are added on LPX at the studio, how do i take the song back to my home studio and integrate the song so it can be played/have tracks added on Cubase AI?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 17, 2014 @ 08:03 PM
miden
Total Posts:  618
Joined  09-22-2005

There is this one for the Motif XS :
http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/musical-instruments/keyboards/synthesizers/motif_xs/motif_xs6/758/7017/

However I have a feeling the patch banks and patches are significantly different if I remember the XS list correctly.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 17, 2014 @ 08:41 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

You will be able to export your audio tracks from Cubase to a range of universally compatible audio formats but most commonly WAV or AIFF files (MONO or STEREO)

You do this by using the File > Export > Audio Mixdown function in Cubase

Select the channels you wish to be exported.

It exports the space between your left and right locators and you get what you hear.

Once exported, you will then be able to import those files right into Logic Pro X using the ‘Import Audio’ function.

All you need to do is note the tempo and time signature from Cubase and copy those to Logic Pro X to put Logic musically in time with them.

There are no compatibility issues with this type of file.  You can also export MIDI files of any MIDI data in Cubase from the same File Menu and they are just as easily imported into Logic.

It works the same exporting from Logic too with several export options for Audio and MIDI.

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 17, 2014 @ 08:46 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

Phil,

You ALWAYS help me my friend!

As you know old Jerry pretty well by now, what are the pros and cons of doing what I propose?

Jerry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 17, 2014 @ 08:55 PM
miden
Total Posts:  618
Joined  09-22-2005

Right, so Jerry you are only really interested in AUDIO then, no probs. I will move on to other things :-)

Good luck

Dennis

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 19, 2014 @ 05:52 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013
jerrydpi - 17 January 2014 08:46 PM

Phil,

As you know old Jerry pretty well by now, what are the pros and cons of doing what I propose?

Jerry

I can tell you what I think Jerry, you may not like it though.  Hopefully you will because it is meant with kindness.

The first thing is, don’t give up, keep hammering away at it. 

I don’t think you will give up because of the many threads you have started in order to crack this nut.  I would guess there will be more.

With regard to Cubase…

If you find that Cubase suits you better than Logic for recording the parts of your Performance as audio tracks (in sync) then that’s fine.

You must have had an epiphany this week which I believe to be due to that other long Logic thread where the OP decided that Cubase would be best for him and in fact DID work out the best for him.  That was a totally different set of circumstances though...and you probably need to be careful not to end up having a go at several methods with various programs but not ever really getting to know one of them well enough to be good with it.

I’m guessing you also have been watching the MOX DVD with Phil showing you how.  If that makes it easier for you then by all means use Cubase to multi track your parts.

Whilst it might make sense moving to something you are more familiar with, you are still going to have to face your perennial struggle:

(and Cubase is no different or any other DAW for that matter)

These are:

1 - Making your ARPS palatable for transfer by converting them to sequencer data on your MOXF.

2 - Assigning Parts to busses on your MOXF.

3 - A workable Multi tracking technique.

4 - Sync between a DAW and your MOXF.

I think the most worrying thing I have read from you this week is that you were concerned about how long in total it would take you to multi track your parts.

Unless you are paying for studio time or something like that, then why worry mate?  If all of this is happening in your own time and on your own terms, then let it go as slow as possible so you can make sure the information stays in your mind, make notes and immerse yourself in it.

A few other forum folks and I have suggested that we’d rather you did your transfer part by part first whilst you are learning it.  Meaning you do your bass first, then your drums, then your EP, then your horns, all at different times.

When was the last time you tried to do 3 or 4 things all at once in life outside of tracking up your arps? I’m not sure about you but I struggle with that, in fact I suck at it.  I hate having my attention spread across more than one thing.

If you are in a pinch with time constraints, then by all means use multiple parts and busses in one go, but your possibility for error goes up when you do.

If you enjoy music as much as we all do on this forum, then track your arps one at a time with LOVE, after all you are basically committing them to tape, a virtual one!

Once you’ve done that many times, then you could maybe try 3 or 4 parts in one go, but to be honest it’s something I’d never personally do....because I’m all about the LOVE.

So, use what is easiest for you, go slow and do it with LOVE.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 19, 2014 @ 07:12 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

Phil,

Thanks so much for your encouraging words my friend!

As far as time, my life is no different than anyone else.

My work schedule Monday through Saturday (I’m off on Sunday) is basically 8:30 am to 7:00 pm.

As I have a wife and son, I devote Monday night, Wednesday night and Friday night to them until they go to bed around 10:00 pm (on Saturday night, I watch Horror Movies with my son after my wife goes to bed) .

That leaves me from 10:00 to 12:00 on Monday, Wednesday and Friday night to try to record my songs on my MOXF.

As I’ve said many times, I can write probably 10 songs before I can get one recorded. What usually happens is that when the recording from the MOXF to the DAW goes bad, I’ll get frustrated and write another original song, as that’s easy to do. But I don’t get anything recorded.

So again, my goal is to be able to record my parts on Monday, Wednesday and Friday night.

If I can accomplish that goal, as soon as I get off work on Tuesday and Thursday nights, I will then go to my Guitar Players (and main studio) house to finish recording vocals and guitar parts.

So, as you can tell, that’s why my recording time speed is so critical to me.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again,

Jerry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 19, 2014 @ 07:46 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
jerrydpi - 19 January 2014 07:12 PM

...My work schedule Monday through Saturday (I’m off on Sunday) is basically 8:30 am to 7:00 pm.

As I have a wife and son, I devote Monday night, Wednesday night and Friday night to them until they go to bed around 10:00 pm (on Saturday night, I watch Horror Movies with my son after my wife goes to bed) .

That leaves me from 10:00 to 12:00 on Monday, Wednesday and Friday night to try to record my songs on my MOXF…

...My goal is to be able to record my parts on Monday, Wednesday and Saturday night.

If I can accomplish that goal, as soon as I get off work on Tuesday and Thursday nights, I will then go to my Guitar Players (and main studio) house to finish recording vocals and guitar parts....

jerrydpi, it just seems to me you are wasting an awful lot of valuable, productive time by taking Sunday off…

...Just kidding Buddy!

You are obviously very focused and dedicated to your family and your music!  Keep doing what you’re doing!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 19, 2014 @ 08:35 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

It’s hard to reply to that Jerry, you have a tight week for sure.

I think tracking multiple parts together when you’ve learned how to do it and you’ve got a good technique down is ideal for you then, but whilst you are learning things, I would suggest doing the Bass on Monday, the Drums on Wednesday and perhaps the rest on Friday.  I don’t mean that sarcastically, either.  I think it’s important to break it all down whilst you are trying it out for the first few times.

You just have to keep hammering away at it and there is nothing wrong with what you are suggesting in taking audio files out of Cubase to use in Logic at another studio or whatever it is you do.

Let the DVD be your guide and when you are comfortable, export your audio and take it into Logic.

I highly recommend you try Bad_Misters advice about recording your Performance in to the sequencer as data first, because that will certainly save you a hell of a lot of time and take pressure off.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 19, 2014 @ 09:35 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

Phil,

The only reason I suggested going to Cubase was because I thought if I did so, more people could help me.

But the more I thought about it, I’ve got a true buddy (you :-) ) to help me with LPX

AND

I’ll still be struggling with my damn perennial struggles of the things you listed.

I’ll try Bad_Misters (and your) advice about recording my Performance to the sequencer first and hope that once I become familiar with that process that it will save some time (as well as taking some pressure off of me).

Love ya’ brother!

Jerry

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ MOX DVD
Next Topic:

Bad_Mister question ››