mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Panning tracks in sections prior to chaining"

Posted on: January 19, 2014 @ 12:19 PM
microjoes
Total Posts:  51
Joined  01-01-2014

Hello

First before I ask my question I am using the MOX8 and Cubase for my project. I know there are a lot of ways to do things but since I already recorded my sections and chained them I would prefer to keep what I have recorded rather than add another piano track.

I’d like to pan the piano in one of the sections away from center since it’s a supporting track then back to center in another section as it becomes a main track again.

If I pan sections individually before chaining will they retain the mix or will I have to add a separate piano track to do this.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 19, 2014 @ 01:02 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

If I pan sections individually before chaining will they retain the mix or will I have to add a separate piano track to do this.

I’m not completely clear in what state your composition is in when you are asking the question. You mention Cubase, but then talk about Sections and Chain. Are we to assume the compositions current status is that it is still MIDI data in the MOX8 sequencer?

If yes, then you can accomplish panning via inserting a cc010 (Pan) command in you track data.

We are also going to assume since you mentioned Cubase, that the next step would be to transfer the composition to Cubase. As you noted, there are a lot of ways you can proceed.

1) Convert the CHAIN to a linear MOX SONG. Then insert your pan messages cc010 at the appropriate measures in the linear layout. This is the neatest and probably the recommended method. (Unless you have a strong reason not to convert your CHAIN to a linear SONG, this the method I recommend. Automation really only makes sense when it is laid out linearly. So panning being a function of automation, it is best left for when you laying the composition out in a fixed linear format.

If your Sections are 8 measures… But at some point you have one of them repeat three times (24 bars), only you need to pan something at measure 009… Technically speaking you don’t have a measure 009. You cannot insert you’re pan command because you don’t physically have a measure 9 until you write out your 8 measure section three times, end to end. You have three 8 measure Sections… In a Chain you cannot even think about a measure 021 (it’s a virtual twenty-third measure until you Convert the data to a linear Song).

2) If your goal is record multiple audio tracks to Cubase, you could simply wait until you create an audio track and just make your Pan and other mix/automation decisions in Cubase.

3) If you are not recording individual audio tracks to the DAW, but instead are going to document your MOX mix… You could start inserting cc010 messages in your Pattern Sections… I, however, do not recommend this without a warning, once you insert a pan message in a looping Section, remember the instrument on that track will remain panned to wherever you place it… Until it receives a new message to move somewhere else. For example, if currently the piano is C (center) for all Sections on the mixer… When select Section B you insert a cc010 message which pans it left. It will remain panned left, even if you switch back to Section A

Because there is no message in the track, the piano remains panned left. Therefore insert one pan message in a Section, you will need to now define the pan position for each of your Sections. So it can quickly get real messy.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 19, 2014 @ 01:46 PM
microjoes
Total Posts:  51
Joined  01-01-2014

Thank you… That certainly makes more sense to me.

As strictly a piano player for twenty years I’m really giving myself a headache by over complicating things while I learn to use the MOX and then decide what tasks to do with Cubase.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ STUDIO MANAGER-01V96 MIXER
Next Topic:

Midi Ch "Any" ››