mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Transmitting program change from a Master"

Posted on: January 15, 2014 @ 04:38 PM
rforman61@msn.com
Total Posts:  31
Joined  01-08-2014

...so far it doesn’t seem to work.  Tonight is my first foray into learning and using the Master mode.  For my master, I want to just call up my specified performance, that part is working fine, and also xmit a program change message to my other keyboard (but no other MIDI data), I believed the way to do this is to use one of the Master’s 4 Zones for that, so I’ve taken Zone 1, turned the Ext Sw to On and the Int Sw to Off, and the other zones all have both Int and Ext off.  (The keyboard on the MIDI receiving end is a Fantom-X.) My first problem/question is that when I play the MOXF8, I don’t want it to play/control the other MIDI keyboard, but it is, across all the parts of the underlying Performance.  I want to turn Midi transmission off for all the parts in the performance, in effect for the whole keyboard, when I am using this Master setup (and in fact when I am using the Performance on its own outside of Master mode).  Do I do that within the underlying performance?, and if so, how/where?, I hunted through the menus but couldn’t seem to find where to set the MIDI status and channel for the individual parts in a performance, or at the Performance’s Common level.  Or do I do this (control/turn off the MIDI transmission) in the Master?  Also, when I Store my Master, select another one and then come back to this one, my hope was that a program change message would be transmitted from Zone 1, but nothing seems to happen, the receiving keyboard stays on the same program it was on.  I have Zone 1’s MIDI channel set to On and Tx Switch for “PC (MIDI)” turned on. (On the Fantom X, if you are familiar with that instrument, I have “Receive Program Change” set to On, and “Kbd Patch Rx/Tx Channel” set to 1.) Anybody point me to what I’m missing? thanks very much.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 15, 2014 @ 05:33 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

My first problem/question is that when I play the MOXF8, I don’t want it to play/control the other MIDI keyboard, but it is, across all the parts of the underlying Performance.  I want to turn Midi transmission off for all the parts in the performance, in effect for the whole keyboard, when I am using this Master setup (and in fact when I am using the Performance on its own outside of Master mode).  Do I do that within the underlying performance?

No, in spite of what you say you want to do, you don’t “want to turn MIDI transmission off”

You want MIDI transmit ON, of course you do, you want the MOXF to speak to your external device and have it recall a specific program, so you definitely want to transmit MIDI. Once you agree that you need to transmit MIDI what you don’t want to do is transmit note-on events from the MOXF keys. You can do that simply by setting the Zone’s LOW NOTE LIMIT = G8 and the HIGH NOTE LIMIT = C-2.

This creates a “no fly” zone for this Master Zone. By placing the low limit high and the high limit low, the keys will not trigger the external device.

You will also want to turn off the Controllers you don’t want to transmit as well… With MASTER mode you determine what MIDI messages are transmitted to each Zone. If you don’t want PB and MW etc., to transmit to the connected device you will find parameters to prevent them from being transmitted.

when I Store my Master, select another one and then come back to this one, my hope was that a program change message would be transmitted from Zone 1, but nothing seems to happen, the receiving keyboard stays on the same program it was on.  I have Zone 1’s MIDI channel set to On and Tx Switch for “PC (MIDI)” turned on. (On the Fantom X, if you are familiar with that instrument, I have “Receive Program Change” set to On, and “Kbd Patch Rx/Tx Channel” set to 1.) Anybody point me to what I’m missing?

You can send a Program Change message while in the Master mode, it is also sent when press [STORE] and of course is sent when you recall the Program.

Checklist
Make sure if you are connected to the external device via MIDI that the MOXF is to MIDI IN/OUT = MIDI
Press [UTILITY]
Press [F6] MIDI
press [SF4] OTHER

Sorry I don’t know Roland products, does it additionally require a Bank Select?

Press [MASTER]
Press [F2] MEMORY
Set the internal Program you wish to associate with this Master. Even if you want the internal MOXF tone generator to be silent, all settings will be made inside the Master program. If you don’t want the internal engine to sound you’ll set the INT SW = OFF for all Zones (Make sense?)
Press [F3] ZONE SW (Zone Switch)
Make sure you set the ZONE SWITCH = ON (fail to do this will render all Master mode edits to Zones moot; if this Switch is not ON the Utility mode MIDI settings will apply… By activating this Switch, you make the MOXF a Master Keyboard controller for both internal and external devices via four Zones. The settings made in the Zones will take precedence over the Utility mode MIDI transmit settings… But only when this Switch is ON.

Press [EDIT]
Press the number 1-4 to select the ZONE
Press [F1] TRANS
Here you activate Internal/External and set a Channel
Press [F2] NOTE
Here is where you can set that “no play” zone
Press [F3] TX SW (Transmit Switch)
What you are sending out, includes BANK SELECT, PROGRAM CHANGE to Int Tone Generator, Ext MIDI, and cursor down to disable/enable Controllers for this Zone.
Press [F4] PRESET
Here you set the MSB/LSB (Bank Select) and PC (Program Change)
When you press [F6] SEND appears, if a small up arrow appears the Bank Select and Program Changes are sent as you make them. Touch [F6] to toggle the live Send function On/Off as you desire.

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 15, 2014 @ 06:06 PM
rforman61@msn.com
Joined  01-08-2014

Thank you, yes of course, a more precise way of stating my goal would have been to say that I don’t want the keys to transmit MIDI note-on messages, nor the instrument any other controller messages, other than the original program change (it seems to me that logically there should be a way to specify this without resorting to specifying an inverted keyboard range, but ok), the expression I used was sloppy and inaccurate shorthand for that.  At any rate, even with Zone 1’s keyboard range set as you suggested, the Master is still transmitting MIDI note-ons from the keyboard - even with *all* the zones set to inverted keyboard ranges and all the Int Sw and Ext Sw’s set to off, so I am still a bit stumped. I did change the MIDI in-out from USB to MIDI but all the behavior seems the same with respect to the transmission of MIDI note data.  Changes I make to these parameters should take effect immediately, right?, it’s not like I have to save the Master before turning the Ext Sw’s off and changing the key ranges on the Limit screen, take effect?

I am a little confused though about the relationship between, on the one hand, the Master’s four zones, and on the other, the Performance associated with it.  Do the zones actually act in effect like four additional parts that can be split and layered right on top of the four parts programmed into the performance?

Thanks for the responses ad the help, Phil.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 15, 2014 @ 06:11 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Please go through the checklist above.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 15, 2014 @ 08:42 PM
rforman61@msn.com
Joined  01-08-2014

Got it all working after a whole evening of fighting with it!  Thanks again for the help.  Had to figure out some settings on both keyboards and coordinate them to get the communication working the way I needed.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Naming Songs In Song Mode
Next Topic:

Voice level Sequencing question ››