mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "A Pattern Based Sequence Question."

Page 2 of 2
Posted on: January 05, 2014 @ 12:26 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
5pinDIN - 05 January 2014 12:24 PM
jerrydpi - 05 January 2014 11:56 AM

I’m just trying to find a way to have a one measure count-in of some type recorded as part of my Section Chain.

Maybe I’m missing the point, but couldn’t you record whatever count-in you want to an empty Section, and then position that Section at the beginning of your Chain?

That’s kind of where I was trying to go with this 5pinDIN!  I also can’t see why this needs to be quite so complicated!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 05, 2014 @ 12:53 PM
jerrydpi
Total Posts:  973
Joined  11-03-2012

You never miss my point my friend, it’s just what happens when one asks questions in print (and the lag time involved) instead of talking in person like we did in the good old days :-)

I need some type of an audible count in.

Thanks!

Jerry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 05, 2014 @ 01:35 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
jerrydpi - 05 January 2014 12:53 PM

[...]I need some type of an audible count in.

Well, it seems that we have some type of communication problem.  :-)

Record your “audible count in” (using whatever percussive sound you prefer) to an empty Section in your Pattern, then make it the first Section in the Chain. (If it’s a matter of having precise timing, turn the click on temporarily to keep yourself on the beat while you record the count-in.) By “empty Section”, I mean one that’s beyond the last one you’re currently using - if, for example, your Pattern uses Sections A through L, use M or beyond.

If that isn’t what you’re looking for, I’m afraid we’re going to need a translator.  ;-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 05, 2014 @ 03:04 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

Thank you 5pD!

What I’m trying to accomplish is for the benefit of my fellow band members, not me.

They have trouble coming in on the “1” without an audible count in.

All of you forget that I have NEVER sequenced anything on a MOXF (or any MOTIF of any kind) so I’m having trouble understanding/figuring how to do what I want to do ;-)

Regardless, I have figured out that on the new Section “X”, I need to record a Drum Stick (or whatever) for my count in.

I originally said that I’m recording every Section from a Performance, and that’s the only way I know how to record a Section.

So I gather that I need to either:

1) Copy a Section, put all (4) Parts volume to 0 and then record my click on Track 5 (this would be easy for me to do).
2) See if I can create a new Section that has no Parts on it, doesn’t come from a Performance, and put the click on Track 1 (this would not be easy for me to do because I don’t know how to do that).

Thanks again!

Jerry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 06, 2014 @ 05:13 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

I originally said that I’m recording every Section from a Performance, and that’s the only way I know how to record a Section.

But you aren’t afraid to learn some thing new, are you? You realize there are other ways to record to a Section. For example, while actually in Pattern Mode…

While in Pattern Mode
Call up Section P
Move the cursor to the LENGTH parameter
Set the Length = the number of measures you want to use as your count in
(I’ve worked in many bands… Trust me, make the count-in 002 measures)
Using the track with the Drum Kit find an appropriate sound (ask your drummer if you have one, what sound… I found they have strong opinions about what you use). Make sure the Drum Kit you use is set to play manually from the keyboard (that is, make sure you don’t have ARP PLAY ONLY activated for the Part).

Manually record your 2-measure count-in (assuming 4/4 time). Use quantize if you need to.
1_3_1234

“Two measures for nothing” is better than just 1234, it eliminates someone not hearing the very first click, which you will find happens, more than you might think, and is a disaster when it does.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 06, 2014 @ 10:12 AM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

Thanks my friend!

Jerry

[ Ignore ]  

Page 2 of 2