mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif Voice Banks"

Posted on: January 01, 2014 @ 11:23 AM
davidtre
Total Posts:  80
Joined  06-18-2011

I notice there are now some voice banks you can purchase from the store specifically for MOXF. My understanding is that on the MOXF, I could load a voice bank made for Motif XF. If I purchase a voice bank made for Motif XF, does it just simply download into the MOXF by importing the voices from the library? Do I have to take any specific extra steps, or does it just do it automatically?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 01, 2014 @ 02:07 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

The question is not clear. It depends on the Library you purchase. Each Library comes with details about what product it is for and how to load it.

You make no mention of the FLASH BOARD. Do you own one? Libraries can be considered “Voice Libraries” or “Sample Libraries”. A Voice Library does not require any memory expansion. A Sample Library requires you expand your MOXF with an optional FL512M or FL1024M Flash Memory Expansion Module.

Sample Libraies are based on new additional Wave content…

Loading data into the MOXF is straightforward. And we highly recommend you spend time learning to Save and Load data into your MOXF. This skill will serve you well when working with Flash.

Voices are loaded to internal USER Voice Banks, while Waveforms and their Samples are installed on the Flash Board. But if you understand loading data, it is no different from loading a file. If a file includes Samples you direct their Voice data to internal Banks and the MOXF takes care of directing data to the Flash Board… And importantly, it updates the information in each Voice that load, as to where to find the Waveforms and Samples it installed on YOUR Flash Board.

This is why: After Loading data and installing Samples, you should make a backup File.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 01, 2014 @ 07:14 PM
davidtre
Joined  06-18-2011

Specifically, I was looking at “Celtic Pipes Voice Library for MotifXF” Since that is a voice library, it sounds like I can “load” it directly into my MOXF.

I also just received the Motif Premium collection, which has a flash board. So, if I understand, with that collection, the “drums and percussion data” loads as samples onto the flash board. Then it sounds like those loops and sounds go into my user banks in the MOX? I still may be a little confused as to exactly what a “sample” library” is. These “samples” are then necessary to create voices I do not have on MOXF, and the native MOXF could not create these voices without” the new “waveforms”?

The discussions in the forum on these topics often seem quite complicated for a novice synth user like me. I will just try to “do” some of this, as you suggested, and then perhaps by trial and error it will make a little more sense. Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 01, 2014 @ 08:31 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
davidtre - 01 January 2014 07:14 PM

Specifically, I was looking at “Celtic Pipes Voice Library for MotifXF” Since that is a voice library, it sounds like I can “load” it directly into my MOXF.

I also just received the Motif Premium collection, which has a flash board. So, if I understand, with that collection, the “drums and percussion data” loads as samples onto the flash board. Then it sounds like those loops and sounds go into my user banks in the MOX? I still may be a little confused as to exactly what a “sample” library” is. These “samples” are then necessary to create voices I do not have on MOXF, and the native MOXF could not create these voices without” the new “waveforms”?

The discussions in the forum on these topics often seem quite complicated for a novice synth user like me. I will just try to “do” some of this, as you suggested, and then perhaps by trial and error it will make a little more sense. Thanks

davedtre, from the Celtic Pipes page in the Shop:

“Celtic Pipes XF” utilizes 33 MB of new samples....

This means it requires the Flash board to LOAD into the MOXF.

Just so you know:  All third party libraries are (at the least) VOICE libraries.  Some of them also have new Samples...and that additionally makes them Sample Libraries.  Celtic Pipes is therefore a VOICE library that is additionally a Sample Library.

Here is the simple overview:  You own a MOXF and a Flash board (that you received from your Premium Collection).  So…

You can purchase a library (should you desire) like the Celtic Pipes, install the new samples on your new Flash board, and install the new VOICES that use these new samples into your VOICE USER BANKS.  These LOAD operations can and will be done together, but they are (2) distinct LOAD operations nevertheless.

Once again:  The new Samples will go to your Flash board.  The new VOICES that require these audio samples will go to VOICE USER BANKS.  Those are the locations that these two different types of data live at!

Please don’t attempt to do any of this by “trial and error”, it will only become a massive, frustrating failure!

There are plenty of people here to help you do this correctly the first time.  Just let us know each step of the way what you are doing!

If you want to buy Celtic Pipes and install it to your Flash-board equipped MOXF, you can do that!  There are people in this Forum that will assist you step by step.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 02, 2014 @ 03:19 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

No, it’s the definition of a Sample Library. Please reread cmayhle’s excellent explanation above!

A Sample Library requires you have a Flash Board installed, because the Voices of this File use new Sample data, not included in your native 3977 Waveforms. So not only are you loading Voice data, you must also load the new SAMPLES in order for this Library to work.

I recommend highly, that if this is unclear, that you wait until a Library is offered specifically with instructions for your keyboard. If you are new and likely not to understand what is being said… Wait until the data is specifically made for your keyboard, the MOXF.

It’s not that it’s all that difficult to convert the data, but it does require some ability to understand the architecture. File compatibility is detailed in the MOXF documentation. When made for a particular keyboard you don’t have to interpret what to do ... You can just follow the step-by-step instructions.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 02, 2014 @ 07:07 PM
davidtre
Joined  06-18-2011

Thank you cmayhle and Bad_Mister. I think I do understand this all a little better. Does anyone know if the Celtic Pipes Voice Bank will ever be available for the MOXF?

One of the reasons I went from MOX to MOXF was I thought it would be easy to load Motif XF voices and performances to MOXF. Sounds like not that easy. I will start by ordering a voice bank for the MOXF, but I still really would like to get the Celtic Pipes on my machine. If not available for MOXF, how complicated would it be to load both the samples and the voices?  If I could get very simple step by step instructions that would be appreciated. I will post when I might want to do that so I could get some help then. Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 03, 2014 @ 04:26 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

No problem. And it is not all that difficult. No more difficult than anything that’s new. It simply is a file Load routine that is customizable… This means you get choices. This is always a good thing but like anything has a small learning curve. What the first couple of times seem like extra steps are actually features you begin to use later on when you start to customize your own sound Library.

If you think of the Preset Wave ROM in the MOXF as 3977 reference books that all the Factory Preset and User Voices refer to for their oscillator data! the Flash Board is like a big empty wall of book shelves which you can fill with 2048 new reference books. From these new reference books you will be able to create new and/or load new Voices using this custom sound material.

Voices are stored internally to Banks accessible from the MOXF front panel.

Voice data (which is small in size) references ("looks up") a specific Waveform (sound source) to act as its oscillator. Each Normal Voice can look up 8 Waveforms… Each Drum Kit Voice can reference 73 Waveforms. These Waveforms come from one of two places: the factory Wave ROM, or your Flash Board.

The Waveforms are a collection of individual audio samples -which can be humongous in size (when compared to the Voice data). This is why Voice data (except for this Waveform data) can remain in memory between power down and power on… It is the huge audio data that is so large that in can take 20 to 40 minutes to install. But once installed on Flash it is placed in a type of memory that not only can be rewritten… But keeps your installed samples ready when you power on.

So that’s it really: Voice data, except for the big waves, is kept in the MOXF internal memory, but the big waves are backed up on real time accessible semi-permanent memory. We get the question: Does it have to be this complicated...? Well, yes, it does. But once understood, it’s actually a very good system for keeping the sounds that you really really like always available or just seconds, rather than minutes away.

Eventually you can have access to 3977 + 2048 Waveforms as your basic Waveform Reference Library.
From this resource you can build an unlimited number of Voices. You get 1152 Preset Normal Voices and 72 Preset Drum Kit Voices in the Factory Set. At any one time you can Load 384 User Voices and 32 User Drum Kit Voices.

So you can have many, many, many Voice Libraries that reference the Waveforms in your custom Waveform Library.

Why Size Matters
Voice data for a single Voice (sans the sampled audio) is about 2KB in size
Waveforms sets like the Celtic Pipes are over 30MB in size
I know we some times get numb with kilobytes and Megabtyes etc… To the point we don’t appreciate the difference… So translate this into your favorite currency… A gig that pays $2,000 is cool, but one that pays $30,000,000 is life altering.

Let us know when you get it and we’d be happy to help you get everything loaded so you can enjoy it right away.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 03, 2014 @ 06:32 PM
davidtre
Joined  06-18-2011

Thats a great explanation Bad_Mister. I do think I understand it now. I will ask for more help as I need it. Thanks

[ Ignore ]