mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Correct Yamaha Drum Note Numbers ?"

Page 2 of 2
Posted on: December 29, 2013 @ 04:34 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Please here is some missing pieces of the puzzle.

A Root Key for a Yamaha drum kit sound is typically C3.
The meaning of the “ROOT KEY” is it is the key that will make the original recording play back at its original pitch. They selected C3 as the default because it is in the middle of the available range.
The meaning of the “KEY RANGE” in the case of a drum/percussion sound that will typically occupy a single key within the Kit, so the Range is how far up/down you can “tune the drum”

Explanation:
All the Drum sounds in the Preset Yamaha Drum Kits are single sample Waveforms.
All the Drum sounds in the Preset Yamaha Drum Kits are placed so that the
Root Key = C3
Key Range = C-2 ~ G8

This range is important when recreating a drum instrument sound that you want to be able to map to any Key in a kit and that you want to be able to tune UP or DOWN in pitch from that location.

If you map your Key Range to just C3-C3, when placed in a DRUM KIT VOICE you will only be able to access this audio at its original pitch.

In order for sample playback synthesizer to “tune” audio up or down it changes the playback speed.
If you play an octave higher the audio plays twice as fast. If you play down an octave the audio plays half as fast, as musicians we know this is how A440 is an octave higher than A220. The thing you need to know about the key range kips this: If your key range is a single note you will not be able to play it an octave higher or lower.

In a Drum Kit Voice you only can access the Waveform through a single Key… Unlike a normal musical instrument that is mapped across the keyboard.
If you limit the Key Range to C3-C3 you can only play that audio at its original pitch.

If however you set the Key Range to C2-C4 you can now tune the playback up or down one octave from its original pitch… And this can happen from whichever key you assign the drum sound in the Kit

To avoid the silliness of having to Coarse Tune a drum sound in order to use it in a kit, please follow the recommendation for ROOT KEY and KEY RANGE.

Here is what you keep missing
When the “Root Key” for each Drum Waveform is C3 and that Waveform is used in a drum kit, you can now assign it to any KEY of the KIT and it will sound at its original pitch from that Key. When “Key Range” is set to more than a single key, you can tune the original pitch up or down within the range you set. And significantly you can do this from wherever you choose to map this drum in your Kit.

Read again, if it is not clear. I sincerely believe this is what you are dealing with, trust me.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 29, 2013 @ 08:15 AM
popsel2
Total Posts:  76
Joined  11-23-2013

Hi!

Thank you for the additonal information.

Now I found the correct drum map to create a Yamaha and GM compatible drumset.

Which way of programming I choose is not relevant here (using a single Waveform or multiple Waveforms to create a drumset).

Finally there is a fixed key for each drum instrument it has to play if I want to stay GM compatible.

So in my example the Bass Drum needs to be placed at the key for it. If not my drumset is not compatible with the avaliable apreggio drum patterns and general midi files.

When I create a drum set in the Wave Editor I have to deal with note numbers for Keybanks and note names and at the MOXF I have to deal with note names.

This makes things more complicated.

Now, after I found this information (XG DRUM MAP) I am able to create my drum sets to receive the desired result.

Example:
The bass drum has a note name of C3 and a midi note number of 36 in the GM Standard definition.
Entering these values in the Wave Editor will not place the bass drum on the key it should be on the MOXF6.

When using the provided XG Drum MAP I get other values for the bass drum:
Here I get the note name C1 and a midi note number of 36.
This is correct for the MOXF6.

To set the correct key in the Wave Editor for the bass drum
I have to set it to C1 and not to C3 as it is written in the GM Standard Definition.

At the end at some place there must be defined which drum sound is assigned to which key. I prefer to do this assignment in the Wave Editor.

I hope it is clear what information I was missing.

Regards
popsel2

[ Ignore ]  

Page 2 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Horns for MoXF
Next Topic:

Key Sensitivity ››