mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Help on Recording from MOXF8 to a DAW (LPX)"

Posted on: December 25, 2013 @ 09:52 PM
jerrydpi
Total Posts:  973
Joined  11-03-2012

I’m going to record another song and hope to avoid my previously stated problem of unintentional notes sounding when recording.

I’m going to record just two tracks simultaneously from a Performance, the first Voice being a drum and the second voice being a bass, both having ARPs.

I will set up both the DAW tracks as Audio Tracks.

Which Quick Setup would you use, 1, 2 or 3 (and why)?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 26, 2013 @ 02:51 AM
MeMyselfAndI64
Total Posts:  201
Joined  11-12-2013

I don`t use the Audio interface of the MOXF.
Quick setup changes both Audio and MIDI settings.

I have changed the setups for my purpose of controlling external devices and DAW recording(MIDI) hence I will not recommend any quick setup to you.

If you should get unintentional notes sounding.

Try to…
Press [UTILITY]
Press [MIDI]
PRESS [OTHER]
Change midi in/out from USB to MIDI
now it can`t send any MIDI via the USB.

BE AWARE that the MOXF will not work as an controller for the DAW when set it like this.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 26, 2013 @ 06:14 AM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012
MeMyselfAndI64 - 26 December 2013 02:51 AM

I have changed the setups for my purpose of controlling external devices and DAW recording(MIDI) hence I will not recommend any quick setup to you.

Try to…
Press [UTILITY]
Press [MIDI]
PRESS [OTHER]

BE AWARE that the MOXF will not work as an controller for the DAW when set it like this.

Hello MMAI64, I hope you had a Merry Christmas!

Thanks for the response.

Just curious which external interface you use.

Thanks again!

Jerry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 26, 2013 @ 06:42 AM
MeMyselfAndI64
Joined  11-12-2013
jerrydpi - 26 December 2013 06:14 AM

Try to…
Press [UTILITY]
Press [MIDI]
PRESS [OTHER]

Hello MMAI64, I hope you had a Merry Christmas!

Thanks for the response.

Just curious which external interface you use.

Thanks again!

Jerry

Hi Jerry, Hope your Christmas was great to!

The main reason for me using an external interface is that I don`t want to connect/disconnect stuff as I need it:)

I use an Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 it has 8 analog in and 2 out.

But I think it,s discontinued now and the Scarlett 18i8 is the new one.

It,s easier for me this way as I have my guitar (In Mono or stereo if needed:),
Roland Integra 7 in stereo (The Integra has A-B-C-D Stereo analog outs but I only use A for now) And the MOXF in stereo.

Also I like to record at 48kHz and MOXF only supports 44kHz.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 26, 2013 @ 07:45 AM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

Also I like to record at 48kHz and MOXF only supports 44kHz.

Why 48K?

Are you working in broadcast or something?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 26, 2013 @ 09:16 AM
MeMyselfAndI64
Joined  11-12-2013

No it was an choice I made some time ago - I know I don`t win much on it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 26, 2013 @ 09:34 AM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

There is no significant gain in recording your music at a marginally higher sample rate (48k) which is roughly 8 percent higher than 44.1 and ultimately all it does is cost you time and possible errors/quality loss at your final conversion stage. That’s presuming you decide to make a CD or compressed audio file out of it.

If your music is just for you though, then great! :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 26, 2013 @ 12:29 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

I’m going to record another song and hope to avoid my previously stated problem of unintentional notes sounding when recording.

I’m going to record just two tracks simultaneously from a Performance, the first Voice being a drum and the second voice being a bass, both having ARPs.

I will set up both the DAW tracks as Audio Tracks.

Which Quick Setup would you use, 1, 2 or 3 (and why)?

This should be simple to figure out depending on how you proceed.

You say you want to record audio tracks, presumably while playing the MOXF “live” from Performance mode. This means that you will be playing the MOXF keyboard generating audio and recording that audio directly to two separate audio tracks in your DAW. This will determine which quick set template can work. (By the way: there is no specific template for what you’re doing. You just have to make the settings manually). To understand what settings are made ... Explore the QUICK SETUP screens.

Your Requirements dictate:
If you mean to do this recording in real time then you would need to choose a QUICK SEQUENCER SETUP that has Local Control = On. Local Control On means you can play the keys of the MOXF and the tone engine responds directly. In your case, key presses will travel to the arpeggiator first which will trigger the tone generator.

Quick Set 1 = DAW REC = Local Control = Off (so this is no good)
Quick Set 2 = ARP REC = Local Control = On (designed for use when recording MIDI data from Arps that use Key modes “sort” and “thru”
Quick Set 3 = DRCT ARP = Local Control = On (designed for use with Arps that use “direct” Key Modes
Quick Set 4 = STAND ALONE = Local Control = On (normal use)
Quick Set 5 = VST REC = Local Control = Off (so this is no good)
Quick Set 6 = VST PLAY = Local Control = Off (so this is no good)

Quick Setup 2, 3 and 4 fit the bill with Local Control being On. You are not recording MIDI so it really does not matter which of these you use… All will allow the keys to send information to the arpeggiators.

Quick set 1, 5, and 6 local control is off, no audio will be generated… (Key presses do not trigger the arpeggiator - key press information is routed OUT via MIDI instead of triggering the MOXF) And the two VST Setups (5 and 6) are for virtual studio MIDI/Audio routing which you are not using.

Notice when setting up for recording, you have both AUDIO ROUTING and MIDI ROUTING schemes. In your setup you are not recording MIDI but you need Local Control On because you need to trigger the Arpeggiators.

So which one is better 2, 3, or 4?
None is specifically made for what you are doing… But you can customize.
You will also need to Synchronize the clocks if you wish to use measures/beats, tempo, and all the other things MIDI allows… So we need a template that sets the MOXF to follow your DAW.

Quick Sets 2 and 3 both have MIDI SYNC = auto, which will allow the MOXF’s arpeggios to synchronize with your DAW… which should be set to send MIDI clock to the MOXF via USB port 1

Quick Set 4 Standalone is the normal setting and can be used if you manually set MIDI SYNC = auto

I recommend you use a click to count-in you will need to trigger the arps on the measure and beat they need to start.

You should set the USB I/O to send the Parts to the output you desire
Set your DAW inputs to receive the signal.

That is what you should do if you if you wish to proceed this way…
You may wonder why there is not a specific Quick Setup for what you are doing… Well, there doesn’t need to be one really, you are recording audio only, and are using MIDI only to synchronize the clocks.
The determining factor is LOCAL CONTROL which is what you need to use the arpeggiators.

Those templates (Quick Setups) are really to take care complex MIDI routing and audio monitoring functions.
Because LOCAL is On you will be monitoring the MOXF direct.

Alternate method would involve recording the PERFORMANCE data to the MOXF’s internal sequencer, then setting up to transfer the data to your DAW via synchronized sequencers. It may seem like an extra step, but does allow you perfect your data, before committing it to you DAW as audio.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 26, 2013 @ 06:32 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

Phil,

Thank you Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
much!!!!

You presented the process perfectly for me.

For Forum Members (me included) who don’t know what terms such as:
1) Arps that use Key modes “sort” and “thru”.
2) Arps that use “direct” Key Modes.

Go to this motifator.com url:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/arpeggio_key_modes

I do have one more question.

Which Quick Set would be best if I’m not using the MOXF Drum or Bass Voices and just using the respective MOXF ARPs to trigger Addictive Drums (Software Track 1) and Trilian Bass (Software Track 2)?

Thanks (again)!

Jerry

[ Ignore ]