mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MOXF8 losing power…flash issue?"

Posted on: December 16, 2013 @ 10:41 PM
lillloyd
Total Posts:  2
Joined  12-16-2013

First of all, I love the MOXF8 and am definitely keeping it.  Great board for gigging!

That said, I returned my first MOXF8 for a replacement MOXF8, because the first board was randomly powering down every few hours.  I observed this behavior even when testing with different power conditioners and power outlets.  *Note that I had installed the 512MB flash board that I had received as part of the Premium promotion*.

So, I received the 2nd MOXF8 board and had no problems with power.  I even played a gig with it Saturday because I was so confident in the keyboard being fine.

Then last night I installed the 512MB flash board.  And whammo, I’m seeing the random power downs again...on the *new* MOXF8.

I will contact Yamaha technical support tomorrow, but at this point, it almost has to be something with the flash (or the flash install) that is causing this right?  Has anyone else who’s installed the Premium promotion flash observed similar behavior?

FWIW I’ve made sure to not overtighten the screws on the flash board installation, and frankly the flash installation seems pretty idiot-proof.  TBH I don’t know enough about electronics to understand if it even makes sense that an installed flash board might destabilize the overall system power.  Just curious to see if others had observed similar behavior.

Thanks in advance for any input…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 16, 2013 @ 11:08 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
lillloyd - 16 December 2013 10:41 PM

First of all, I love the MOXF8 and am definitely keeping it.  Great board for gigging!

That said, I returned my first MOXF8 for a replacement MOXF8, because the first board was randomly powering down every few hours.  I observed this behavior even when testing with different power conditioners and power outlets.  *Note that I had installed the 512MB flash board that I had received as part of the Premium promotion*.

So, I received the 2nd MOXF8 board and had no problems with power.  I even played a gig with it Saturday because I was so confident in the keyboard being fine.

Then last night I installed the 512MB flash board.  And whammo, I’m seeing the random power downs again...on the *new* MOXF8.

I will contact Yamaha technical support tomorrow, but at this point, it almost has to be something with the flash (or the flash install) that is causing this right?  Has anyone else who’s installed the Premium promotion flash observed similar behavior?

FWIW I’ve made sure to not overtighten the screws on the flash board installation, and frankly the flash installation seems pretty idiot-proof.  TBH I don’t know enough about electronics to understand if it even makes sense that an installed flash board might destabilize the overall system power.  Just curious to see if others had observed similar behavior.

Thanks in advance for any input…

It might seem obvious to ask, but have you made sure to disable the Auto Power Off Function per page 18 of the MOXF Owner’s Manual? (Be sure to read all of the fine print under NOTICE concerning this function!)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 17, 2013 @ 07:27 AM
lillloyd
Total Posts:  2
Joined  12-16-2013

Wow, not an obvious question at all (although maybe a bit embarrassing for me lol--I may have returned a perfectly good keyboard).  I don’t think I’ve ever had a keyboard with an “auto off” feature.

I’ll try today and see.  But it sounds like the timing of the flash install and the subsequent power downs may have just been coincidental.

Thanks for your gentle and considerate response (i.e. not just saying “RTFM!!!” as would have been the case on many forums ;)

lillloyd

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 17, 2013 @ 07:44 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
lillloyd - 17 December 2013 07:27 AM

[...] Thanks for your gentle and considerate response (i.e. not just saying “RTFM!!!” as would have been the case on many forums ;)

From what I’ve seen, “RTFM” is infrequently suggested by those offering help here on Motifator - more often (ironically?) it’s by those asking the questions, chiding themselves.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Using several performances for live performing
Next Topic:

Quick q re transpose... ››