mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Creating a new MOXF drumset from a preset with own samples"

Posted on: December 14, 2013 @ 01:11 AM
popsel2
Total Posts:  76
Joined  11-23-2013

Hello from Germany ;-)

I would like to take a MOXF factory drumset, replace some drum sounds of it by own samples and load this back into the MOXF.

I own a MOXF6 (Firmware V1.03) with a 1GB flash module, John Melas MOXF tools (Version 2.3.0) and his Motif Waveform Editor for Motif XF, MOXF and Motif XS (Version 1.6.1).
Creating new samplesets with the Wave Editor, saving in MOTIF XF X3A-format and importing this file into the MOXF seems to work.

Now I want to take a MOXF preset drumset, save it in a user drumset place in the MOXF and export it via USB stick for editing with the wave editor. But the wave editor can’t import the MOXF *.X6A files.
So this is a one way transport ability only from the wave editor to the MOXF.

My idea is to take a factory backup of a MOTIF XF (*.X3A) file, which I can open with the wave editor, add some samples and save it as a *.X3A file which can be imported by the MOXF.

So, please can somebody provide me a factory backup of a MOTIF XF in (*.X3A) format containing all the factory presets ?

So I could use this file as a template for editing my MOXF voices.
Hopefully John Melas will add the ability for importing MOXF files into his wave editor soon.

Regards

Andreas

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2013 @ 04:18 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Welcome to the forum.

popsel2 - 14 December 2013 01:11 AM

[...] My idea is to take a factory backup of a MOTIF XF (*.X3A) file, which I can open with the wave editor, add some samples and save it as a *.X3A file which can be imported by the MOXF.

So, please can somebody provide me a factory backup of a MOTIF XF in (*.X3A) format containing all the factory presets ? [...]

Sorry, but…
A .X3A backup file of a Motif XF does not include any of the factory presets. There is no need to back up preset data, since it permanently resides in ROM. Only User data is backed up (User Voices, Performances, Patterns/Songs, Utility Mode settings, etc).

If the preset Drum Voice you want to work with exists in the XF (not all the MOXF kits do), and it was copied to a User Drum location in the XF, the .X3A would not include any of the factory Drum Waveforms.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2013 @ 04:45 AM
popsel2
Joined  11-23-2013

Thank you for the answer.
Ok, but if somebody select the drumset preset B019(B03) “Trance Kit” in a MOTIF XF and store it under a user drum memory it will be exported with the *.X3A file, right ?
This way I could open the file with the wave editor, do the desired changes and save it back as a *-X3A file to import it in the MOXF.

Is there a simpler / better way to open a factory preset using the wave editor ?

Regards
Andreas

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2013 @ 04:47 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

I would like to take a MOXF factory drumset, replace some drum sounds of it by own samples

If we stop your request here, you can proceed by importing your new Samples into Waveforms (using the Melas Editor) then directly loading the New Waveforms into the MOXF. Once the Waveforms are in the MOXF then create the Voice in the hardware… You do not need to use the Motif XS/XF Waveform Editor for this part of the routine.

Use the Melas Motif Waveform Editor for preparation of the Waveform.
To “prepare” (edit) the samples do so in Melas Motif Waveform Editor. You can take each of your .WAV or AIFF format data and place it in Yamaha Motif Waveforms. You can import each to a separate Waveform or as many as 128 to a single Waveform as you may require.

When you have the data just as you would like it in terms of Start Point /End Point, Loop Point, etc., you can then export that edited sample to a USB stick (via an ALL file) then Load it directly to the MOXF.

You will not have the MOXF Voices in the Editor (as you mentioned, that feature is not available at this time), don’t let that defeat you… Create a new Motif XF Editor file that contains just your Waveforms listed in the Waveform view… SAVE AS… a Motif XF All data file .X3A (this file will be only useful to transfer your new Waveform data to your MOXF’s Flash Board - it will not be in a Voice, yet)

Installing the new Waveforms to the MOXF
In the MOXF set the FILE Load TYPE = Waveform
Highlight the newly created .X3A file
It will ‘open’ showing you three folders (the MOTIF has three places it can direct the data) USR, FL1, FL2. You don’t have to worry about directing them, the MOXF can receive data from any of these Motif XF folders.

Find your Waveforms and one by one import them to the MOXF… Each by each they will be added (installed) to your Flash Board and added to the available Library of source data.

Access the new Waveforms in a MOXF Voice
Since the Drum Kit Voice is already in your MOXF all we are doing is we are assembling the Voice in the hardware. Go to your User Kit and assign your Waveform to the KEY of your kit
Press [EDIT]
Press numbered button [1] to view KEY parameters
Touch a Key between C0-C6
Press [F1] OSC
Press [SF] WAVE

Hint you can select to INITIALIZE a single Key
Press [JOB]
Press [F1] INIT
Clear the ALL box, but select an individual Key… This will be somewhat helpful so that you don’t inherit all kinds of unknown settings. Each KEY in a Kit accesses either a preset or user Waveform.

Thanks for the question… We will shortly have some materials to guide users through some of the tremendous possibilities that Flash opens in terms of reinventing the MOXF library.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2013 @ 05:23 AM
popsel2
Joined  11-23-2013

Thank you Bad_Mister for explanation.
You proposed a feasible way but not as comfortable as I would expect it from a dedicated wave editor software.
My aim is to do all the edits inside the Wave Editor software on my PC, then export only one *.X3A file containing the final drumkit and import it like a Yamaha prepared voice into the MOXF.
So there is no need for importing each single drum sample and assingning it to the key it should play.
I managed to import a bunch of samples at once prepared with the Wave Editor.
I would like to test, if my way of preparing drum sets is working.
It would be great if a user of an Yamaha MOTIF XF could select the
preset drum kit “018(B03) Trance Kit”, store it under an unused user drum memory and export it as an *.X3A (ALL-File) to USB for me.
I could download the file from the forum or receive it via email.
This is not a big action, isn’t it ?

Regards
Andreas

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2013 @ 06:39 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
popsel2 - 14 December 2013 05:23 AM

[...]I would like to test, if my way of preparing drum sets is working.
It would be great if a user of an Yamaha MOTIF XF could select the
preset drum kit “018(B03) Trance Kit”, store it under an unused user drum memory and export it as an *.X3A (ALL-File) to USB for me.[...]

I’ve attached what you requested, zipped. As it comes from the factory, the Trance Kit is already in User Drum 019(B03). This file has some minor changes from factory (such as my network settings) that don’t affect the User Voices.

File Attachments
XF_Factory.n3.X3A.zip  (File Size: 405KB - Downloads: 301)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2013 @ 08:54 AM
pax_eterna
Total Posts:  209
Joined  11-03-2013
Bad_Mister - 14 December 2013 04:47 AM

I would like to take a MOXF factory drumset, replace some drum sounds of it by own samples

If we stop your request here, you can proceed by importing your new Samples into Waveforms (using the Melas Editor) then directly loading the New Waveforms into the MOXF. Once the Waveforms are in the MOXF then create the Voice in the hardware… You do not need to use the Motif XS/XF Waveform Editor for this part of the routine.

Use the Melas Motif Waveform Editor for preparation of the Waveform.
To “prepare” (edit) the samples do so in Melas Motif Waveform Editor. You can take each of your .WAV or AIFF format data and place it in Yamaha Motif Waveforms. You can import each to a separate Waveform or as many as 128 to a single Waveform as you may require.

When you have the data just as you would like it in terms of Start Point /End Point, Loop Point, etc., you can then export that edited sample to a USB stick (via an ALL file) then Load it directly to the MOXF.

You will not have the MOXF Voices in the Editor (as you mentioned, that feature is not available at this time), don’t let that defeat you… Create a new Motif XF Editor file that contains just your Waveforms listed in the Waveform view… SAVE AS… a Motif XF All data file .X3A (this file will be only useful to transfer your new Waveform data to your MOXF’s Flash Board - it will not be in a Voice, yet)

Installing the new Waveforms to the MOXF
In the MOXF set the FILE Load TYPE = Waveform
Highlight the newly created .X3A file
It will ‘open’ showing you three folders (the MOTIF has three places it can direct the data) USR, FL1, FL2. You don’t have to worry about directing them, the MOXF can receive data from any of these Motif XF folders.

Find your Waveforms and one by one import them to the MOXF… Each by each they will be added (installed) to your Flash Board and added to the available Library of source data.

Access the new Waveforms in a MOXF Voice
Since the Drum Kit Voice is already in your MOXF all we are doing is we are assembling the Voice in the hardware. Go to your User Kit and assign your Waveform to the KEY of your kit
Press [EDIT]
Press numbered button [1] to view KEY parameters
Touch a Key between C0-C6
Press [F1] OSC
Press [SF] WAVE

Hint you can select to INITIALIZE a single Key
Press [JOB]
Press [F1] INIT
Clear the ALL box, but select an individual Key… This will be somewhat helpful so that you don’t inherit all kinds of unknown settings. Each KEY in a Kit accesses either a preset or user Waveform.

Thanks for the question… We will shortly have some materials to guide users through some of the tremendous possibilities that Flash opens in terms of reinventing the MOXF library.

Also, my thanks (even though not my OP) for this explanation, another one for my tips and methods files

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2013 @ 08:57 AM
popsel2
Joined  11-23-2013

Hi 5PinDin,

thank you very much for your support.
I need some more time for tests.
When I am done I will report the result.

Regards

Andreas

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2013 @ 02:19 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

You proposed a feasible way but not as comfortable as I would expect it from a dedicated wave editor software.

This is not a “dedicated” Wave editor for the MOXF. It is a dedicated Waveform Editor for the Motif XS/XF. Thought you understood this. If you export the data in an XF format it can be loaded into a MOXF.

My aim is to do all the edits inside the Wave Editor software on my PC, then export only one *.X3A file containing the final drumkit and import it like a Yamaha prepared voice into the MOXF.
So there is no need for importing each single drum sample and assingning it to the key it should play.

Of course you will need to assign the waveform to a key, you will just do it in the Editor. If you don’t have the data for all the XF Drum Kits you can certainly proceed without it. And when a dedicated editor comes out or the function is added to the current editor you can do it all easily in the computer

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2013 @ 03:38 PM
popsel2
Joined  11-23-2013

Hello MOXF users,

finally I found a way to create a new drumset with own samples only using the John Melas Wave Editor. After preparation the voice can be imported into the MOXF in one step together with the new samples to install onto the flash memory board.

I made a tutorial as a zipped pdf file with photos to remember it.
This may be interesting for other users, too.

Without the help of 5PinDin this would not be possible.
Thank you 5PinDin and Bad_Mister.

This is Version 1.00. So if anybody finds a better way, better ideas are welcome ;-)

PS.
This version uses a separate waveform for each new sample.
This works but I am seeking a similar way to use only one
waveform for the new sample.

Regards
popsel2

File Attachments
Drumset Editing Tutorial 1.zip  (File Size: 5616KB - Downloads: 747)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 15, 2013 @ 12:35 AM
popsel2
Joined  11-23-2013

Of course you will need to assign the waveform to a key, you will just do it in the Editor. If you don’t have the data for all the XF Drum Kits you can certainly proceed without it. And when a dedicated editor comes out or the function is added to the current editor you can do it all easily in the computer

Yes, this was not clear speaking from me.
I prefer to edit with a PC software with a mouse and a big display instead of editing it on the MOXF directly. But this is how I prefer to do it and doesn’t mean it is the right way for everybody.
You are 100% right. Without assign the waveform to a key it can’t work.

Besides I got an email from John Melas and he tells that he is planning to support the MOXF *.X6A file format in the future in his
Wave Editor.

Regards
Andreas

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Voices for XF in MOXF?
Next Topic:

KEYBOARD MISFIRE NOTES TOUCH VELOCITY SENSITIVITY ››