mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif 8 sounds and programming for Rosanna (TOTO)"

Posted on: September 02, 2013 @ 02:37 AM
John Philipps
Total Posts:  3
Joined  08-18-2013

Hi, does anybody know what sounds are used by the Motif for Rosanna?
And also, the programmiing of the Motif for the solo…

If somebody is interested, I wrote note by note the diferents layers performed by the Motif during the keyboard (Triton) solo…

Hope hearing from you soon…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 02, 2013 @ 03:05 AM
John Philipps
Total Posts:  3
Joined  08-18-2013

Hi, does anybody know what sounds are used by the Motif for Rosanna?
And also, the programmiing of the Motif for the solo…

If somebody is interested, I wrote note by note the diferents layers performed by the Motif during the keyboard (Triton) solo…

Hope hearing from you soon…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 02, 2013 @ 07:17 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

Please don’t post the same question in multiple forums.

Have you checked into voice libraries in the shop like Vintage Synths and 80s Pop Rock ?

Easysounds has a library called Phat Analog II which has Oberheim style sounds, I know Toto used OB synths a lot.

Hope this helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 03, 2013 @ 07:15 AM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002

Most of the sounds on Rosanna are actual acoustic orchestral instruments.
Horns, flutes, etc. The solo section is definitely layers of acoustic instruments.

None of the sounds came from a Motif, that’s for sure, since it wasn’t around back in the 80’s. Toto’s keyboard players used Yamaha DX and TX gear, a Yamaha CS-80 analog synth, some Roland stuff but I’m not sure
exactly what.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 05, 2013 @ 03:53 PM
jorgemncardoso
Total Posts:  36
Joined  09-20-2008

Guys, i’m 90% shure the OP is refering to the live version of the song, more especificly the Live in Amsterdam 2003 version, this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dyPmQ30jqA

David Paich used a Motif8 and a Triton classic on that tour, i don’t know if he had any outboard rack gear, but i don’t think so.
From what i can see David had the Piano and the Horns (brass section) programed on the Motif (splited) and the synth brass on the Triton ( or at least some part of the sound, as you can see him adjusting the volume on the Triton during the solo).
I had similar sounds programed on my Motif a while ago, i’ll look to see if i can help. Maybe someone with more experience in sound programing can give some tips.

BTW, on this current TOTO tour David is using a Kurzweil (PC3 i think) with a Motif XF6, and Steve Porcaro is using a CP-1 and a Motif XF6, so those sounds can easily be achieved with any current synth. When Greg Phillinganes playd with them on the 2007 tour he used an Oasys, a Trinity and 2 Triton Extreme, and the sound is very similar (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRGBAqZMWxU)

On a side note: Why do people always assume, when someone asks about a sound, that they are refering to the sound on the studio album? Maybe i’m just wierd (LOL) but when i thing of sounds abut 80% of the times i’m always thinking about the live sound (sometimes a bit diferent from the album), on tour. But i’m a stage cat, so i always think “live” 80% of the times LOL.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 30, 2013 @ 10:04 AM
Mofit
Total Posts:  910
Joined  04-22-2005

Hey, I started some but never finished.  Here’s a clip: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jB110DXh94Q&desktop;_uri=/watch?v=jB110DXh94Q

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 30, 2013 @ 04:17 PM
Mel Profit
Total Posts:  16
Joined  07-22-2013

Hey Richard,
When are you going to release The 2000s Pop/Rock Soundset Volume 1?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 09, 2013 @ 07:59 PM
Coowallsky
Total Posts:  1004
Joined  06-18-2003
Mel Profit - 30 November 2013 04:17 PM

Hey Richard,
When are you going to release The 2000s Pop/Rock Soundset Volume 1?

How’s your sister Susan doing?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 17, 2015 @ 12:02 PM
prokeysman
Total Posts:  101
Joined  02-05-2007
DavePolich - 03 September 2013 07:15 AM

The solo section is definitely layers of acoustic instruments.

Toto’s keyboard players used Yamaha DX and TX gear, a Yamaha CS-80 analog synth, some Roland stuff but I’m not sure
exactly what.

The solo section has some real horns, but the rest is David Paich and Steve Porcaro playing on various non acoustic instruments-synths as well as notes programmed into Roland MC4. Not much acoustic layers to talk about. The solo is discussed in the current Keyboard magazine (August 2015.)

[ Ignore ]