mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Vibrato/Tremolo on Strings - do I have to buy something to lose those effects?"

Posted on: August 01, 2013 @ 07:50 PM
Louder_Than_Good
Total Posts:  302
Joined  07-30-2002

Hi - I’ve googled around a bit, and it seems I’m not the only one who’s tried and failed to edit the string voices to remove the vibrato/or is it tremolo.

Is it possible on the Classic, and if not, is there a recommended product to buy and put in the memory?

Thanks for any advice!

PS - Been away a while, nice to see a lot of the same friendly names and faces here! :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 15, 2013 @ 03:18 AM
Louder_Than_Good
Joined  07-30-2002

Hi there -

I guess there’s no way to do it since no one has suggested one ... is there a good 2nd best option?

Thanks -

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 15, 2013 @ 09:05 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

The Voices that are sampled with the musician’s real vibrato, obviously you cannot remove it. However, Voices are often provided without vibrato, as well… (although not in every case, you don’t mention any specific Voices) if you don’t like the Voices with the real vibrato, please choose one that does not feature this. It is quite a bit more expensive from a WAVE ROM standpoint to include the natural musician generated vibrato… most people prefer it, but as is true with music, you are free to have an opinion and beg to differ with “most people” - so it is true that many do not wish to use a Voice w/Vibrato. Simply choose a Voice that does not have it.

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 15, 2013 @ 05:44 PM
Louder_Than_Good
Joined  07-30-2002
Bad_Mister - 15 August 2013 09:05 AM

The Voices that are sampled with the musician’s real vibrato, obviously you cannot remove it. However, Voices are often provided without vibrato, as well… (although not in every case, you don’t mention any specific Voices) if you don’t like the Voices with the real vibrato, please choose one that does not feature this. It is quite a bit more expensive from a WAVE ROM standpoint to include the natural musician generated vibrato… most people prefer it, but as is true with music, you are free to have an opinion and beg to differ with “most people” - so it is true that many do not wish to use a Voice w/Vibrato. Simply choose a Voice that does not have it.

Hope that helps.

Thank you, Bad Mister, I remember how helpful you were a few years ago when I was last on the forum, I see some things are still the same!

I mentioned the strings in my first post, but more specifically now, for the Cello, Viola, and (by memory) the Violin, lovely as the vibrato/tremolo are, it is a bit too much for the specific application I have in mind. I thought I had checked all of voices and found them to have the vibrato/tremolo, but it was early on, and I’ll take your suggestion and check again for non-affected strings.

In “parallel”: In these forums I came across some products for sale that had “non-vibrato/non-tremolo” strings, like Dave Polich mentions in his 2nd to last thread at the bottom of this post:

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/457281/ .

As far as I could tell though, they were only for later Motif models - I didn’t see any for the Motif Classic.

So, if anyone knows of any similar products as Dave Polich mentions, but for the Motif Classic - please post here.

Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 24, 2013 @ 01:49 AM
snets@att.net
Total Posts:  17
Joined  06-03-2009

I need to take the vibrato out of the fiddle sound on my classic. My ES has fiddle with no vibrato. No so the classic. I have to use my classic because my ES is broken. Sounds like Perlman playing with Charlie Daniels. Just awful

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 24, 2013 @ 02:26 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

If that is how you sound, since the violin doesn’t play itself, Practice, you’ll get better.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 24, 2013 @ 02:56 AM
snets@att.net
Total Posts:  17
Joined  06-03-2009

Bad_mister - I am using the “fiddle” sound not a violin sound - we play a few country type songs and you need that plain “fiddle” sound without the vibrato - like Wagon Wheel and the Fiddle solo parts in Black Water - for some reason the Fiddle preset on the ES doesn’t have vibrato but on my Classic it does - you answered me on my ES problem earlier by the way (thank you)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 24, 2013 @ 04:49 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Both the Motif and the Motif ES are samplers, you might consider sampling the Voice over yourself, or seek a library of fiddles sans vibrato.

The third possibility is to fashion a violin sound like you would on an analog synthesizer (I know its old school but its a viable alternative)… Start with a sawtooth waveform and with filters and (amp) envelopes, build yourself a bowed violin sound without vibrato.

Just some real alternatives…

[ Ignore ]