mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "interchageable keys"

Posted on: September 19, 2013 @ 08:18 AM
curtisdog
Total Posts:  76
Joined  12-11-2004

are the triton classic and motif classic the same keys? I need to replace a broken key on motif classic

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 19, 2013 @ 08:58 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

No.

Why wouldn’t you get a Motif key? Strange question! Perhaps you are remembering when the M1 used Yamaha DX7 keys.... That was a long time ago…
:-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 19, 2013 @ 09:40 AM
jorgemncardoso
Total Posts:  36
Joined  09-20-2008

Sorry to disagree with you on this Bad Mister, but you are wrong.

The Triton Classic Has the same keys as the Motif classic or ES, fact!

As you know Korg used the Yamaha FS keybed (that was in fact first introduced on the DX7) on every top of the line synth from the M1 up until the Oasys 76.

Here’s a small list of Yamaha and Korg keyboards that share the same keybed (Yamaha FS) and consequently the same keys:

YAMAHA: DX7/DX5/DX9/DX7ii, KX76, SY77/85/99, EX5, W5, Motif 6/7(classic/ES)

KORG: M1, T(2/3), 01W(Fd/Pro), Wavestation, i(2/3), i30, Trinity(plus/pro/v3), Z1, Triton(classic/studio/extreme) (not the LE), Oasys (76).

You can get this keys from Yamaha if the have in stock or search e-bay for Yamaha or Korg keys from the models above.
Another source is: http://www.syntaur.com/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 19, 2013 @ 10:14 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Yes, indeed, you are correct about the history of the keys (thanks for that) and that info may well have been right back in 2003 when the Motif classic was discontinued. But I would seriously doubt if that the old FS (lead based action) is still available today (it very well may be, I have not checked personally). It might be that the current key specified as a replacement for the Motif (classic) is different from what Korg is offering currently. At any rate it is definitely worth checking on, directly with Yamaha PARTS… after all, it is a Yamaha Motif (classic).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 19, 2013 @ 11:16 AM
jorgemncardoso
Total Posts:  36
Joined  09-20-2008

You’re welcome, glad to help :-)

You are right, neither Yamaha or Korg are using the old FS anymore. Since Yamaha changed to the new FSX (led free) keybed since the XS, Korg has started to manufacture their own keybeds after the Oasys, so current Korg keyboards (M3, Kronos etc) use Korg’s own keybeds.

But the list i posted above is 110% correct about the FS keybeds on those models both from Yamaha and Korg

Yes i agree the first source for looking for those keys (new) should obviously be Yamaha first, i have bought some about 2 or 3 years ago as spares for my Yamaha’s and Korg’s and they still had them in stock (at least in Yamaha Europe, don’t know about the US).

If anyone buys used keys off e-bay however, beware of the condition of key hook, the part where the key attaches to the keybed because is where it tends to break the most, and sometimes people sell them and don’t even realize it’s broken or very worn.

P.S: Just a personal side opinion, for me the old FS keybed is still the best keybed ever put on a synth, both in action (feel) and also mechanically, those key contacts are undestructible :-) can’s say the same about these bubble rubber contacts everybody’s using in the keyboard industry these days, they need a lot more maintenance.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 19, 2013 @ 04:44 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

No doubt 3 years ago the keys might have been available, I truly doubt it now, particularly in Europe, since that is where the use of lead is outlawed… (I’d like to say we were as concerned about saving the planet here in the US).

Looking for replacement keys, contact Yamaha Parts.

[ Ignore ]