mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "SOLVED: Another glitch - or??"

Posted on: November 13, 2013 @ 06:03 PM
pax_eterna
Total Posts:  209
Joined  11-03-2013

Just discovered, while playing back MP3 backing tracks from an ipad into the audio in jacks on the moxf, that if I select a different patch (even simply using just the increment by one button in the same Pre group) that the audio has a momentary glitch before resuming - quite noticeable!.

Now is this something that can be fixed or is it an inherent part of the MOXF OS?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 13, 2013 @ 09:52 PM
pax_eterna
Joined  11-03-2013

So no-one else notices a hiccup in the audio in when selecting a new patch?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 14, 2013 @ 03:44 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

There are no “patches” other than in Pattern mode [F4] PATCH which in MOXF-speak is a phrase placed on a Track within a Section. When referring to stored playable Setups it would be good to use the word “Program”, instead to avoid confusion.

To answer your question. We don’t know, and if we did we can’t discuss possible future features, functions, fixes etc. sorry. We can discuss what you can do to get the most out of your MOXF. Here’s how it works:

If you set the A/D input for a microphone level signal that will apply to all modes. If you set it for a line level device that will apply to all modes.
The A/D Input (analog-to-digital) PART as set in Utility applies to all of VOICE mode. Any settings you have will persist in each Voice Program.  The A/D is given a Part setup for all of Voice mode (you can route it to both Insertion and System Effects as you require). So you can have a mic setting that will be global for all Voices, for example.

However, the A/D Input PART is programmable within each Performance and within each Performance and Song/Pattern program, so you can setup differently for each of these Programs as may be required. Naturally, there is an interruption in sound. Like in a recording studio each Performance program, each Song/Pattern Mixing program has a significant amount of signal routing… Think of a patchbay connecting the audio outputs of certain channels of the mixer to specific Effect processors… It can get quite sophisticated… No you cannot switch between these complex Setups without interruption - you can, however, setup a program so that it accommodates the synth program changes you are required to make. (No, you will not have access to all 1300+ programs! no one needs that many). Being able to customize each program is important for the synth player + mic use case.

For one Song you might require reverb and multiple repeats set to quarter notes, the next Song you might want a small hall, no echoes. The next Song you might want virtually “dry"… So the advantage of programmability can clearly be seen.

We think the programmability is much more important than switching and being forced to use exactly the same setting throughout. A trade-off, to be sure. You can disagree… Your application is to have a third party (iPad) do the job of playing music, through the MOXF’s sound system routing. So we understand your requirement is different… You desire a completely separated audio ‘through’ channel (just a simple secondary way to the sound system).
Here’s what you have available as solutions…

Use the AUDIO IN in a single Program, if you require more than one synth Voice, connect while in a Performance it will allow you to switch between the four Voices, in the four Parts, without any interruption. If you require more than four, connect while in a Song/Pattern Mixing program, it will allow you to switch between sixteen synth voices in the sixteen Parts without interruption.

Need more than sixteen? use an external connection between your iPad etc, and your sound system directly, forego the AUDIO IN altogether, because your requirement exceeds the feature. Make sense? The feature, in this case is focused on something entirely different. So from your perspective, it needs to be “fixed”, when in fact, it is only broken from a certain point of view. It works just fine for those wishing to customize the A/D Input Part for each composition. Hope you can see, it ain’t broke from that perspective. It’s not like that is even an issue…

The new MX, for example, has an AUX IN. What’s the difference between an A/D Input and an AUX In?
Besides the A/D actually converting analog signal to digital signal (24-bit/128 Times over sampling, etc), the A/D signal can be processed by the synth engine while in the digital domain, before the signal is converted D/A back to analog signal and then on to the outputs. The MX AUX In does not convert the signal, you cannot process it, the signal simply is merged to the main left/right output. That would meet your requirement… Just a simple “through” audio function which would not be disturbed or interrupted by the functioning of the attached synthesizer.

We seriously do not see this as something that is broken or needs to be “fixed” - these are simply two different uses for an input. The MOXF has an A/D Input with all its feature laden baggage… You require what the MX is sporting, a simple audio through. Sorry, the MOXF does not have such an audio through.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 14, 2013 @ 10:12 AM
pax_eterna
Joined  11-03-2013

thx Bm - as you will note I never said it WAS broken, hence the question marks in the thread title and further the question posed in the OP ;-)

Now on to your reply, I was aware that the A/D was set up as on or off within each voice, but I was not aware it got “re-booted” each time one selected a new voice, even if ALL parameters between voices was the same.

However, you answered the question in that it is part of the OS, and that is fine. As I said I was seeking clarification, not condemning the keyboard!

Just to confirm if I read your reply correctly:

[Use the AUDIO IN in a single Program, if you require more than one synth Voice, connect while in a Performance it will allow you to switch between the four Voices, in the four Parts, without any interruption. If you require more than four, connect while in a Song/Pattern Mixing program, it will allow you to switch between sixteen synth voices in the sixteen Parts without interruption.]

Are you saying if I use Performance mode instead of Voice, then this “hiccuping” audio will not happen?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 14, 2013 @ 11:10 AM
pax_eterna
Joined  11-03-2013

Confirmed that in Perf mode there are no glitches in Audio in…

However it would be really nice (in my view essential) to be able to save the Part Mute status to the Performance as well!

Although knowing that Yamaha usually do not add these sorts of functional updates during a models life-span, instead saving them for new hardware (ergo you want it, you gotta buy a new keyboard!) - I hold no hope of it happening, but perhaps it is something for future models?

After all imo, it is a serious oversight for using this ‘board live. When creating a performance ALL current board settings should be able to be preserved.

Anyway for the intent of the thread, it is solved.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 14, 2013 @ 04:09 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Although knowing that Yamaha usually do not add these sorts of functional updates during a models life-span, instead saving them for new hardware (ergo you want it, you gotta buy a new keyboard!) - I hold no hope of it happening, but perhaps it is something for future models?

Trying REVERSE PSYCHOLOGY? Are we...? Everyone here knows Yamaha continues to do product updates throughout the life of the products (they are not just fixes, they add features and functions) even after the product has been discontinued… Years after, you can look it up yourself… The updates are still available online.

The Motif (classic) was discontinued in 2003, the last update was dated 2005.
The Motif XS was discontinued in 2010, the last update was dated 2011. Many of the features added to the new XF were retrofitted to the discontinued Motif XS (ask around before you accuse)…

You can make a wish list, just don’t tell fibs about Yamaha, that’s not nice!
:-)

A “MUTE” in the terminology of the synth engine is different from storing a PART in the OFF position. So your wish may never happen simply due to terminology. A “MUTE” event can be stored in a device like a SONG or PATTERN SCENE, or in the sequencer, which can be used to automate when the sound returns. MUTE and SOLO are real time functions, not storeable function - by definition.

There are several ways to start with a PART at zero volume, if that is what you require. We don’t really see a question in your post, just a comment about “an oversight” (yikes).

Couldn’t be that you just didn’t find a method to do what you want to accomplish?

Hint:
If you want to store a PERFORMANCE with one or more of the PARTS OFF, you don’t use the MUTE function (which is already defined as a temporary switch - by definition), you can use the Assignable Function buttons… These can be programmed to bring in and out the sounds as you may require.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 14, 2013 @ 05:31 PM
pax_eterna
Joined  11-03-2013

Would I try reverse psychology on a corporation? Not that such a thing is achievable...nor would I try it on you. And I am not going into it any further than that, but I think you knew exactly what I meant ;-) I will also leave that there...and moving along......

Yes I agree on the Motif example you posted re bug updates and OS fixes, however I would like to know exactly what Motif XF “features” could be retro-fitted to a Motif XS?

I will investigate the AF you mentioned, still not quite the same as a “panel snapshot” that is achievable on Roland Korg Kurzweil synths that allow a “performance” or setup to be stored, but it may suffice as a work-around. Thx

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 14, 2013 @ 06:58 PM
stoneb3
Total Posts:  851
Joined  06-05-2011

The last OS for the XS is 1.6, you can work your way back from there and view all of the added features with each OS update. There are way, way to many to list. Perhaps this will give you some insight as to what may be in store for your MOXF in the future. This subject is not limited to the XS alone as all models have had new features added through OS updates.

RolandKorgKurzweil are all fine instruments. While drawing analogies between them may be entertaining, the fact remains that they are each different, with their own distinct capabilities. And thankfully so. I’ve found resolutions to programming paradoxes with all of them, including the Yamaha line. Funny how you think something can’t be done and then you discover it can.

Stone

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 14, 2013 @ 07:08 PM
pax_eterna
Joined  11-03-2013

Thanks Stone - may be you can have a look at my follow-up thread re the Performance setup? You sound experienced with the Motif line, maybe you can shed some light there?

[ Ignore ]