mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "moxf in mono?"

Posted on: November 04, 2013 @ 11:01 AM
pax_eterna
Total Posts:  209
Joined  11-03-2013

Does anyone know how the MOXf will react to being in mono output mode?

I am planning in running it to a mono p.a. system. Woudl it have the same characteristics as the XF in which case I can research this on the XF forums.

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 04, 2013 @ 11:44 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Like much Yamaha gear, when nothing is plugged into the R output, the L/MONO provides a mix of left and right channels. If the source was originally in stereo, there will be a certain amount of phase cancellation occurring with the mono signal.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 04, 2013 @ 02:50 PM
pax_eterna
Joined  11-03-2013

Thx - I wonder why this only seems to be an issue with Yamaha gear? In the past I have had no issues at all with Roland and Korg gear using the same method - ie running from the L/mono jack. The sound is pretty damn close to running L+R.

Would it be fair to say that I now must be forced into using a stereo PA if I want to achieve a similar result to using both L and R, or has there been some discussion on work-arounds?

EDIT: No need for a reply - I found your excellent info in this thread 5pin - cheers

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/449514/P15/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 04, 2013 @ 03:22 PM
anotherscott
Total Posts:  653
Joined  06-30-2010

I haven’t had any issues using MOX in mono. I don’t think it’s more prone to mono “problems” than any other board. Except maybe that, it may actually have more stereo sounds in it to begin with. That is, if your Korg or Roland had almost all mono samples, the “variable” of how the sound collapses to mono is a non-issue, compared to an instrument that has more stereo samples in its library.

For example, the only stereo samples in a Korg M50 are acoustic piano, two of the brass ensemble sounds, a strings ensemble, and some drums, everything else is mono. Yamaha has quite a bit more in the way of stereo instruments available. But many of them are also available in mono versions, or you can generate a mono version based on one side or the other of the stereo instrument (the waves can be selected separately), in the event that you don’t like how a stereo instrument sounds in mono.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 04, 2013 @ 03:35 PM
pax_eterna
Joined  11-03-2013

thx AS - good to know - makes sense as a lot of Roland sounds seem to date back to the nineties! So no wonder they are still mono.

Also great to get some “real-world” confirmation using it in mono - appreciate it :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 04, 2013 @ 03:36 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
pax_eterna - 04 November 2013 02:50 PM

Thx - I wonder why this only seems to be an issue with Yamaha gear? In the past I have had no issues at all with Roland and Korg gear using the same method - ie running from the L/mono jack. The sound is pretty damn close to running L+R.

Would it be fair to say that I now must be forced into using a stereo PA if I want to achieve a similar result to using both L and R, or has there been some discussion on work-arounds?

EDIT: No need for a reply - I found your excellent info in this thread 5pin - cheers

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/449514/P15/

I thought I’d add a bit anyway…

If there are phase differences between two channels, there will be some phase cancellation when they’re summed, and it doesn’t matter who the manufacturer is. True stereo has such phase differences to at least some degree, but sometimes “stereo” is just mono that’s been panned so that sounds seem to be located at other than center. That sort of psuedo-stereo doesn’t have phase differences between channels (other than those caused by any possible effects) and isn’t affected by summing the channels (except for loss of what the effects might have added).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 04, 2013 @ 03:49 PM
pax_eterna
Joined  11-03-2013

Thx 5pin

[ Ignore ]