mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Change tempo signature?"

Posted on: October 10, 2013 @ 03:00 AM
pugdealer
Total Posts:  12
Joined  06-16-2013

Hey guys…

This will be a very basic, and probably dumb question, to which I haven’t found the answer by fiddling with all the buttons…

How the hell can I change 4/4 to 3/4?? All the rhythm types are either 4/4 or 2/4 or something even...How to I select a 3/4 or 6/8...whatever? Does that affect the arpeggio too?

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 11, 2013 @ 03:59 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

The question is not clear because you do not create data for the MX to play. So you do not set a Time Signature parameter. When you are going to write a piece of music before you indicate the KEY on the score paper you must set the Time Signature. It is the first thing after the CLEF… Once music is written, changing the Time Signature does not change the music, it only changes how you count the music. YOu simply redraw the measure lines… it does not change the feel… here’s what I mean:

Even if you could ‘change’ (sic) the time signature, what difference would it make? If you have a Funk Groove with a solid backbeat on 2 and 4, and you set the time signature to 3/4 what do you anticipate happening?

The groove will sound exactly the same, exactly! Only the backbeat (sic) would now be counted as 2 then 1 then 3 then 2… it would not become a waltz, you know that, right?

Anyway there is no time signature for you to set in the MX. The data is all pre-recorded. And changing the Time Signature after the fact does not change anything about the data, only how the data is counted.

There are 209 Rhythm Patterns and 999 Arpeggio phrases… you can see more information on them in your DATA LIST booklet page 25-31. I believe they are all 4/4 time.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 12, 2013 @ 06:19 AM
pugdealer
Joined  06-16-2013

I read your answer and the manual and still I can’t find what I want...which is very simple i think!

Maybe I’m not explaining myself clearly or I’m using the wrong terms...I had a Roland before, and it had a bunch of rythm styles...rock, pop, ballad...waltz, and in every style I had a dozen different drum styles/loops…

Now, so far, I can find the same sort of thing in the MX61...Rock, hip hop, whatever...but no waltz type...something that goes 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3 when I press play!!!
They’re all 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4...or 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2…
I just wanna find drum loops that go 1, 2, 3...it that possible?! It’ll mind blow me if I can’t get a 3/4 beat going on!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 14, 2013 @ 11:28 AM
mr5x5
Total Posts:  37
Joined  05-04-2013

There are a handful of rhythm 6/8 patterns you might be able to work with. If you set the tempo slower they can be thought of as waltz patterns. It’s just they repeat over 2 sets of 3 beats, so it’s not gonna be perfect for every type of waltz.

123/456/123/456/

Rhythm patterns 48, 49, 89, 176, 179, and 180 are all 6/8.

179 and 180 are simplified 6/8 forms that might be a good place to start. You just have to use a slow enough tempo to make them feel more waltz like. You could try some different drum voices with these patterns too. You might find a drum voice that is more in keeping with the waltz tempo and feel that you want.

Does this help?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 15, 2013 @ 06:55 AM
pugdealer
Joined  06-16-2013
mr5x5 - 14 October 2013 11:28 AM

There are a handful of rhythm 6/8 patterns you might be able to work with. If you set the tempo slower they can be thought of as waltz patterns. It’s just they repeat over 2 sets of 3 beats, so it’s not gonna be perfect for every type of waltz.

123/456/123/456/

Rhythm patterns 48, 49, 89, 176, 179, and 180 are all 6/8.

179 and 180 are simplified 6/8 forms that might be a good place to start. You just have to use a slow enough tempo to make them feel more waltz like. You could try some different drum voices with these patterns too. You might find a drum voice that is more in keeping with the waltz tempo and feel that you want.

Does this help?

yes, it helps...thank you

but it’s kinda hard to realize the mx has no 3/4 patterns...I just feel like “WTF!?!?”

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ MX61 voice/performance transfer
Next Topic:

program change ››