mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Midi Channels"

Posted on: August 12, 2013 @ 04:00 PM
funkykeys2013
Total Posts:  8
Joined  08-05-2013

Hi! I’m facing a situation that I’m hoping can be resolved on the MX or i’m gonna have to use an additional controller on the gig!!

Here’s the scenario -
I’m using a patch from the Manetron app on the Ipad. If I plug the MX into the Ipad, it triggers the patch correctly. What I need to do is split the keyboard between Organ at the low end & any patch on the upper end (this will be muted) but I would like to trigger the Ipad only using this upper register. Is there any way to only send MIDI from a single part/channel?
There is no way to select Midi Input channels on the Manetron or Garageband apps.
I’m using USB Midi with a Camera connection Kit.

Thank you!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 14, 2013 @ 01:50 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

There is no way to select Midi Input channels on the Manetron or Garageband apps.

Really? So then what you want to do is not going to be possible. Because the MX transmits on a single MIDI channel at a time. How can there be no way to set MIDI channels… sorry, I do not know the apps you are talking about…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 03, 2013 @ 05:01 PM
anotherscott
Total Posts:  653
Joined  06-30-2010
funkykeys2013 - 12 August 2013 04:00 PM

Hi! I’m facing a situation that I’m hoping can be resolved on the MX or i’m gonna have to use an additional controller on the gig!!

Here’s the scenario -
I’m using a patch from the Manetron app on the Ipad. If I plug the MX into the Ipad, it triggers the patch correctly. What I need to do is split the keyboard between Organ at the low end & any patch on the upper end (this will be muted) but I would like to trigger the Ipad only using this upper register. Is there any way to only send MIDI from a single part/channel?
I’m using USB Midi with a Camera connection Kit.

You have run into an unfortunate scenario of trying to combine a keyboard that has very limited MIDI functionality with apps that have very minimal MIDI implementations (basically they function as “Omni On” sound modules, something I don’t think I’ve seen in hardware since the 80s). But there is a way to do what you want.

Instead of the Camera Connection Kit, use an original version Line 6 MIDI Mobilizer (not the II). Then use an iPad app called MidiBridge. Among other things, this will allow Garageband or Super Manetron (aka Manetron 2) to respond to keys only above or below a specified split point. The reason this works is that the old MIDI Mobilizer predates Apple’s implementation of CoreMIDI in the iOS, and most apps (including GarageBand and Manetron) don’t recognize it. One of the many things MidiBridge can do is recognize that old device, and selectively route the data back into the OS in a form that modern apps can recognize. So you’re using the old MIDI Mobilizer *because* almost nothing recognizes it (hence GarageBand and Manetron never directly “see” it to respond to it in Omni mode); and you’re using the MidiBridge app, which DOES see it, to essentially convert only as much of the MIDI data as you want (in this case, only note data above a certain split point) to modern CoreMIDI data that those apps CAN see.

It would be simpler if you had a keyboard that had MIDI zones (like the MOX) or if you picked iOS apps that had more MIDI flexibility of their own, but at least there’s a way to do it!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 09, 2013 @ 02:51 AM
funkykeys2013
Total Posts:  8
Joined  08-05-2013

Awesome!! Thanks a ton!!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Change performance via Cubase
Next Topic:

illegal format ››