mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "illegal format"

Posted on: August 15, 2013 @ 06:21 AM
richie1027
Total Posts:  686
Joined  10-14-2008

decided to try some midi files ....they apparently play along with a performance you select.

i have a stick loaded with mostly SMF 1 files, though there are some SMF 0 in there as well.  they all imported fine into the Motif.

Anyway, i get the illegal format screen for every file.  anyone else getting this?

these are all files I’ve had around fora while....standard midi with the .mid extension. 

not sure what a legal format is....

thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 15, 2013 @ 07:00 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Since you cannot LOAD any .MID files into the MX, we are not at all sure what you mean when you say you got an illegal format screen - on what did the “illegal format” message appear… In the MX screen, your computer screen, the Motif screen?

If you did attempt to LOAD a .MID into the MX, I would imagine it would tell that it cannot LOAD the file… The MX can stream .MID files direct from the USB

Insert the USB stick in the TO DEVICE slot
Press [EXT SONG]
.MID and/or .WAV files will be listed
Press [PLAY]

Is that what you are doing?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 15, 2013 @ 09:08 AM
richie1027
Joined  10-14-2008
Bad_Mister - 15 August 2013 07:00 AM

Since you cannot LOAD any .MID files into the MX, we are not at all sure what you mean when you say you got an illegal format screen - on what did the “illegal format” message appear… In the MX screen, your computer screen, the Motif screen?

If you did attempt to LOAD a .MID into the MX, I would imagine it would tell that it cannot LOAD the file… The MX can stream .MID files direct from the USB

Insert the USB stick in the TO DEVICE slot
Press [EXT SONG]
.MID and/or .WAV files will be listed
Press [PLAY]

Is that what you are doing?

Yes.  On mx.  Not motif or PC.  I have USB stick and mx recognizes it.  When I press
External song, all the midi files can be viewed and scrolled thru.  It’s when I try and hit PLAY
When I get the illegal format message ON THE MX!

I get this for every file, even with a different USB stick

These files are all fine.  Work in Roland, korg and my motif.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 15, 2013 @ 09:59 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

It’s probably a message in the file that is preventing it - when you load it in the Motif, take a look at the data at the top of measure 001 and see if there are some specific (SYSEX) messages in that file. These maybe the cause… I cannot tell without viewing the data.

The MX will only stream SMF of TYPE 0, (not TYPE 1) - TYPE 1 would yield the “Illegal File”. The Motif-series can load TYPE 0 or TYPE 1, the MX can only read TYPE 0

Type loading it to the Motif-series keyboard, then RESAVE it as a SMF from the Motif (the Motif will write the data as TYPE 0) - then use this new version of the file - let us know.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 15, 2013 @ 10:20 AM
richie1027
Joined  10-14-2008

Will do, but that’s it for sure.  I use all type one files cuz I like all the different tracks.  I’ll save as type 0 and I’m sure it’ll work fine.  Thanks Phil.

Edit update.  Works fine with the correct format.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Midi Channels
Next Topic:

Melas programs for MX ››