mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MX61 Inserts in Performance"

Posted on: August 05, 2013 @ 01:24 PM
funkykeys2013
Total Posts:  8
Joined  08-05-2013

Hey… Just picked up an MX61 a few days ago to replace my Motif ES6!! Although I love the Motif, it destroys my back carrying it to gigs - The MX is an amazing alternative.

My question is regarding the effects inserts in performance mode. I’ve created a Performance in VycroMX with all the voices I’ll need for a particular gig. The problem is the effects are only activated for 4 voices at a time! The voices without effects sound ghastly. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a workaround? (I’m kinda comparing this to the ‘master’ mode on the Motif where I could arrange all the patches I’d need for a gig in order to be easily accessible) I’d like to have all 16 voices for the gig with their default effects intact.

Question 2 - Here’s the scenario - I play around with Performance 3 (Sirius)… After I’m done, I stop the Loop, click the ‘Select’ button to get out of performance mode, deactivate ‘Layer’ & ‘Arp’ - And simply want to get back to the basic Piano. But ALL the patches I play now have the echo effects from the Sirius Performance. How do i get out of this? Is pressing ‘Shift’ & ‘Select’ and doing a reset the only option?

Question 3 - How do I access a custom ‘User Voice’ from the main panel?

Thanks !!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2013 @ 02:45 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Welcome to the Forums!

My question is regarding the effects inserts in performance mode. I’ve created a Performance in VycroMX with all the voices I’ll need for a particular gig. The problem is the effects are only activated for 4 voices at a time! The voices without effects sound ghastly. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a workaround? (I’m kinda comparing this to the ‘master’ mode on the Motif where I could arrange all the patches I’d need for a gig in order to be easily accessible) I’d like to have all 16 voices for the gig with their default effects intact.

There is no MASTER mode on the MX. The maximum number of Inserts available per Performance is four. If you have sixteen sounds you need and you want Insert effects on each of them, it will take four Performances.

Question 2 - Here’s the scenario - I play around with Performance 3 (Sirius)… After I’m done, I stop the Loop, click the ‘Select’ button to get out of performance mode, deactivate ‘Layer’ & ‘Arp’ - And simply want to get back to the basic Piano. But ALL the patches I play now have the echo effects from the Sirius Performance. How do i get out of this? Is pressing ‘Shift’ & ‘Select’ and doing a reset the only option?

How many other options do you need? The one should be enough! :-)

If you are in Performance 3, you will inherit the effects of that Performance. You owned a Motif ES. If you recalled a Performance on the ES, just because you stopped the arpeggio and muted several of the Parts… If you were to select a new Voice for PART 1 you would inherit the SYSTEM EFFECT (that’s where the delay is coming from) including the SEND amounts, the Filter settings, the Volume setting, the pan setting, the Note Shift setting, etc, etc, etc of that Performance PART. This is true in the MX, as well.

Other options include:
Initialize the Performance: Press [JOB] > select “Initialize” > Set it to PART 1 (or 2 whichever you wish) > [ENTER] > [YES] (same as on the ES)
Select a new Performance: Press the [SELECT] button so it is lit, advance to a new Performance.

There is no VOICE mode… So you are always playing through the Part parameters of a Performance. You can reset a Part by using the Initialize Job. This returns the PART to the default settings… But does not change the inherited System Effect Types, for that you would need to initialize the COMMON parameters.

Another option: press [PART SELECT] > choose another PART

Question 3 - How do I access a custom ‘User Voice’ from the main panel?

VOICES are reached by CATEGORY SEARCH. As mentioned, you are always in a Performance. Turn off the [SELECT] light and you are in Category Search. Read the Categories above the buttons on the right front panel.

Your USER VOICES follow the Preset Voices. You can move through Categories rapidly by holding [SHIFT] + [INC/YES] this will move by 10’s
You can hold [SHIFT] + turn the [DATA WHEEL] or
You can hold [SHIFT] + tap the [CATEGORY] button containing your Voice to jump through the Sub Categories… Say you have created a Voice in the String Category. SHIFT + STRINGS will jump from Solo strings to Ensemble Strings, to Pizzicato Strings, to Synth Strings, to Arp Strings, to User Strings

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2013 @ 04:18 PM
funkykeys2013
Joined  08-05-2013

Thank you!! That really helped - Although I’m still confused about “Part Effect"/"System Effect” - All the patches sound really great out of the box. My aim is to place a couple of my favorites in a performance so they’re within easy reach. But the juice seems to be missing from some of them when placed in a performance (even after initializing)… Is there a way out?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 06, 2013 @ 05:32 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Please read the post again.

There can be four PARTS that can have their INSERTION EFFECTS active in any one PERFORMANCE.
All sixteen PARTS can use the SYSTEM Effects (Reverb and Chorus processors)

An insert effect is like a guitar player with a distortion stomp box. Only the guitar players signal passes through this effect. It is literally inserted INLINE with their signal. It is their personal effect.
Another example would be a B3 sound with a Rotary Speaker effect… It is only used by the organ player. And is inserted inline with the signal of the B3 sound.

Insert Effects can give a sound a particular personality.
Many instruments do not necessarily need an Insert Effect… Drums for example, bass, strings, brass, etc., etc., etc. only those Voices you want to feature.

The System effects are like the effects accessible from the band’s mixing console. The mixing console has two auxiliary sends. One goes to the Reverb, the other to a time delay processor called the Chorus. Every one of the channels of the mixer has a send amount to access these “system” effects. So if you need to apply reverb to any of the PARTs you can simply dial up the amount. if you need to setup a temp delay, the Chorus processor includes chorus, flangers, phasers, delays, etc....

So again, only four Parts of a Performance can recall their Insert Effect at one time in a Performance.
All Parts have access to the System Effects via (aux) Send amount controls.

So if your goal is to recall the Voices you need in a single Performance… You will be able to setup four in each Performance with their Insert Effect active.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 06, 2013 @ 01:52 PM
funkykeys2013
Joined  08-05-2013

Thank you again!!! ALL cleared up!!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Controlling VSTi in cubase
Next Topic:

Vycro Effects ››