mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Issues with selecting voices from MOX6 in Logic Pro 9"

Posted on: June 24, 2013 @ 06:04 AM
Ariadne3
Total Posts:  28
Joined  06-24-2013

Hi! New to the forum and hopeful that a kind person will help me out. I’m very new to MIDI, so please forgive my ignorance.

I have a Macbook Pro running OSX 10.7.5, and I have an MOX6 connected via USB. I’m using Logic Pro 9 and have installed the Steinberg USB driver.

The problem is that I am having trouble selecting the voices I want for different MIDI tracks. I am able to get the first track down fine (Pre5: 027 - 2 Flutes, in this case), but then when I go to make a 2nd track, it will just change everything to the Flutes sound. I assume this means I’ve got my tracks all set to the same channel, but not sure how to change this.

Here are some screen shots so you know what I’m looking at. I am confused as to how to select the different voices I want in Logic:

**edited to add: I have different channels selected for each track in the Inspector, so that’s not hte problem I don’t think

Image Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-06-24 at 9.01.53 AM.png
Screen Shot 2013-06-24 at 9.02.24 AM.png
Screen Shot 2013-06-24 at 9.02.35 AM.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 24, 2013 @ 10:22 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

What MODE are you in on the MOX6?

In order to use the MOX6 as a multi-timbral tone generator you must place the instrument in one of the two SEQUENCER modes: SONG or PATTERN. For example…

Press [SONG]
Press [MIXING]
You now can access 16 different Voices, one per PART via the 16 numbered front panel buttons.

The Voice you place in PART 1 will initially receive on MIDI channel 1. The Voice you place in PART 2 will receive on MIDI channel 2, and so on through to PART 16 on MIDI channel 16.

Make sense?

Sorry, your Logic screenshots are lost on us, we have no idea what it means, perhaps someone that knows Logic can help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 25, 2013 @ 06:07 PM
Ariadne3
Joined  06-24-2013
Bad_Mister - 24 June 2013 10:22 AM

What MODE are you in on the MOX6?

In order to use the MOX6 as a multi-timbral tone generator you must place the instrument in one of the two SEQUENCER modes: SONG or PATTERN. For example…

Press [SONG]
Press [MIXING]
You now can access 16 different Voices, one per PART via the 16 numbered front panel buttons.

The Voice you place in PART 1 will initially receive on MIDI channel 1. The Voice you place in PART 2 will receive on MIDI channel 2, and so on through to PART 16 on MIDI channel 16.

Make sense?

Sorry, your Logic screenshots are lost on us, we have no idea what it means, perhaps someone that knows Logic can help.

OK, I tried this and was able to change channel 1 in the MO to VOICENUM 22 (2 Flutes), MSB 63, LSB 4, channel 2 to VOICENUM 1 (Violin Solo 1), MSB 63, LSB 3, and Channel 3 to VOICENUM 5 (Romantic Piano), MSB 63, LSB 0. All is good. in Logic, I have the first track assigned to External MIDI device Yamaha MOX6 Port 1, Channel 1, Track 2 set the same except to Channel 2, Track 3 set to the same except Channel 3. I hit “Record” and have track 1 armed in Logic, and all of a sudden, MO says I’m using Voicenum 1 on Channel 1, Channel 2 is the same, and channel 3 has changed to VOICENUM 5 in msb63 LSB0!

Why did it change? I’m guessing Logic and the MO aren’t talking to each other properly and someone needs a spanking!  Seriously, though, why cannot I not select the proper sounds from Logic for the MOx6? Those screen shots I showed you show what I get when I try to see the sounds I’m assigning to each track in Logic. These mean gibberish to me as well, and I’m not sure why it wouldn’t be able to at least have some sort of way of at least resembling the numbers associated with the MO if Logic is seeing the keyboard is connected and acting like it is using it.

By the way, I am able to record MIDI data in Logic when I do this, and they are now recording as separate sounds on the separate channels. So at least that is figured out. Now it’s just a matter of getting the sounds I want. Anyone other suggestions?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 25, 2013 @ 07:47 PM
Ariadne3
Joined  06-24-2013

After some more fiddling around, I think I understand some things. At least, I think I was able to do something that worked. Maybe this will help someone else. Perhaps there are some steps I’ve taken that are unnecessary, if so, please let me know:

- After assigning the voices in the MO MIXING mode, I stored the settings by hitting the STORE button

-In Logic, you double-click on the track icon to bring up a window of program names. In my case, you get a bunch of numbers like Prg 0=11, Prg 1=12, etc. There is also a drop-down menu for Bank and Bank Message. To select the appropriate MO voice name, first select the appropriate bank.

For any of the PRE1 sounds (MSB=63, LSB=0) you should have the “(No Bank specified. Names of Bank 0 used)” selected in the Bank menu. For PRE2 (LSB=1) you select 0 (the option right below that). For PRE3 (LSB=2) select 1 and so on. It may say “Names of Bank 0 used, not initialized”, but when you click it then that goes away (don’t ask, because I have no answer for you) and then you just select the number Bank you need and ignore the rest of it.

From there to select the specific voice you want, you highlight by clicking the program name that applies. This gets a bit tricky. You see a list of numbers Prg 0=11, Prg 1-12, Prg 2=13, Prg 3=14, etc. The important number is the first one, not the one after the equal sign. You will select the number that is one less than the voice number on the MO.

For example, let’s say you want to use Full Concert Grand on the MO. This is Pre1, MSG=63, LSB=0, VOICENUM=1 according to the Data List. In Logic after bringing up the program name dialog you will select the ”No bank specified” option, and highlight Prg 0=11.  If you wanted to use the voice 2 Flutes (Pre5, MSB=63, LSB=4, VOICENUM=27), you would select in Logic Bank 3 and Prg 26=43.

So the Bank number selected is always -1 the LSB and the Program Name selected is always -1 the VOICENUM. I think.

-Once I got all my tracks assigned properly, I saved this in Logic before recording. If I wanted to change the voices after that, I could see how the prg # I selected in Logic changed the appropriate VOICENUM in MO, so you can test to see if it’s working

-For Drum kits I’m a bit unsure about this. I had “No Bank specified” selected and used Prg 42=63 for the Orchestra Kit which was 43 in the MO Data List.  ON the MO the LSB=32.

-When I recorded, I made sure I had the correct track highlights that I was playing from so it didn’t accidentally record a different sound.

This seemed to work albeit a bit clunky. But maybe there’s a more sophisticated way of doing this. Please let me know if there is!

[ Ignore ]